1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump intends to nominate Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Sep 26, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A senator should read barrett's writings on RvW... even if she doesn't care to answer to the senators and the American people, her past writings will make sure her position will be clear...

2. NewRoxFan

barrett just signaled why she was nominated... she refused to answer a question about the constitutionality of a president delaying an election...

3. NewRoxFan

Perhaps she could have googled the answer...

4. NewRoxFan

The correct term is sexual orientation. But I am surprised she didn't say she wouldn't discriminate because she has a gay friend...

FranchiseBlade and Astrodome like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is unsettling that even off the cuff she didn't know or refused to answer that given that it should be basic Constitutional knowledge that the President doesn't set the date of the election.

joshuaao, jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're going to get a lot of this. Evasive answers. One reason why I'm not bothering listening to the hearings.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Well, 2017 was what... three whole years ago...

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't like activist judges especially ones who actively campaign for different issues.

Would not like her even if none of the peripherals were there.

9. NewRoxFan

10. NewRoxFan

What seems clear is that barrett has not be forthcoming with answers and even less than honest with important details on her senate disclosure form in order to avoid answering the difficult questions important to her confirmation. Important tests of her integrity.

And since the senate seems to have all but surrendered their important constitutional role of advise and consent (republicans senators announcing they were voting to confirm trump's nominee even before named), the entire confirmation hearing should be seen as a sham and seems the senate should save time and stop the farce and simply confirm presidential nominees. Yet another American institution destroyed by the trump presidency.

11. NewRoxFan

12. what

what Member

I want to hate Amy Barrett Coney, but I don't. I think she has gotten a raw deal in the sense that she has be made to be trump and the Republican party's do-bidder. I think that she is her own woman.
    In comparison to Brett kavanaugh, she is like night and day for me. She seems reasoned and logical.

However that being said, I am aware that she has made characterizations of the lgbtq community as a preference vs an orientation, which makes it unclear if she would try to overturn same-sex marriages. I don't know how constitutionality rules in this situation.

#272 what, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Perhaps she should have been directly asked the question if she believes "sexual preference" is a choice or not. I think "sexual preference" and "sexual orientation" is often used interchangeably, even if the latter is preferred. I wouldn't judge her views on the matter simply on that word choice.

15. what

what Member

Believe it or not, I judge her more harshly because of her 8 kids. Nobody needs that many kids and to have that many (well 6) is indicative of something in my mind about the white christian churchgoers that I can't identify with.
    It is the same reaction that I have to self-righteous millennials and their sjw movement.

I am just personally irked by that kind of thinking. Suburban christian soccer moms are popping out babies like a pez dispenser.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's certainly chilling.

17. what

what Member

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I wonder how much we'd hear about 'Religious Freedom' if that was Omar Ilhan sitting up there...

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Then something is seriously wrong with you -- but we already knew that.

20. NewRoxFan

republicans can't help being dishonest...

JayGoogle likes this.