1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump intends to nominate Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Sep 26, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is pretty much all the Democrats can do and it is also the best thing to do. This whole nomination just emphasizes the importance to defeat Trump and take the Senate.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

ACB will be great.

Kamala can read.

ROXRAN likes this.
  3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Agree, the more I hear the more she impressed

4. what

what Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is the Democrat and likes Amy Coney Barrett. This woman is smarter than smart and she would fill RBG seat with honor in my opinion.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Simply ask her is she will uphold obamacare. If she gives a no response put ad out saying how she will take away preexisting conditions which is what the republicans have been trying to do since obama got it passed.

AleksandarN and Nook like this.
  6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

She has reasoning and precedent on her side, as follows what she stated: "I'm not going to express a view on whether I agree or disagree with Justice Scalia for the same reasons that I've been giving," Barrett said. “Justice Ginsburg with her characteristic pithiness used this to describe how a nominee should comport herself at a hearing: no hints, no previews, no forecasts. That has been the practice of nominees before her, but everybody calls it the 'Ginsburg Rule' because she stated it so concisely and it’s been the practice of every nominee since."

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

barrett sidesteps another important question, hiding how she may decide on future voters rights related questions...

8. NewRoxFan

The "trump is above the law" position...

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I love watching the left meltdown and clog up the system by delaying a qualified and legal court nomination and then blocking the Trump checks. Thanks a lot dems. Not like people are hurting right now.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I listened to the hearings a little bit and she already has given a non-answer on whether to uphold the ACA. She's said that since she might be hearing the case she's not going to comment on the ACA but she did say she didn't have a bias against it.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

She’s given a “non-answer” to literally every question asked of her, even when she didn’t have to. Judge Barrett will “not say anything” to everything in order to get on the Court. Then watch her vote against Roe and vote against the ACA.

Barrett was nominated by trump in May of 2017 (yes, that’s how long she’s been a federal judge) to her current position on an appellate court 5 months after she wrote an article critical of the Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision to uphold the Affordable Care Act. Her refusal to respond to questions about that was disingenuous, to put it mildly. She has a documented history of opposing Roe, yet she pretends to have an open mind about that issue.

Barrett is being entirely ruthless in her quest to become a Supreme Court justice for life, as are the Republicans shoving her onto the court during the election, something that hasn’t been done in the history of this country. That won’t be forgotten.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I get why you may be upset, but a few points you should consider...

1. The nation is center right, and therefore the court should reflect that over time. The far-left court crusade is coming to its natural end. If you think the court should always be left and the gov't should always be left, then you are a partisan hack. Celebrate our checks and balances.
    2. The Constitution allows the President to appoint a supreme court justice. No law is being broken as Trump carries out the will of the American people. Again, celebrate our checks and balances.
    3. The Constitution doesn't actually say anything about how long you need to be a federal judge to be a Supreme Court Justice. In fact, it says nothing about the qualifications needed to be in that position. Celebrate our founding fathers and their vision to allow for the people to have a choice in the direction of the executive and judicial branch through their votes.

[​IMG]

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Curious if you said the same thing 4 years ago when there were actual delays by the GOP for 10 months on a qualified and legal court nomination.

Also, what's being delayed? Are they not having the hearing now? Were there any delays? Each of the senators is obliged to their full time allotment. Don't see anything from preventing the GOP from pushing this forward once the hearing is over.

People aren't hurting because there's currently 8 justices.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think she is worse, she is a bit of a zealot, and very sneaky to things you should not want from a judge.

I think you just got a crush on her.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

...I just don't trust a lady who had 7 kids who is that skinny. Somethin' ain't right.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean she's probably be the hottest SC justice currently. Low bar but ya, she's somewhat attractive especially for her age. I wonder if that had any role to play in Trump's decision making?

Xerobull likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't know why this made me actually laugh.

I guess she takes care of herself well. But damn 7 kids...

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if I can watch some of the SC confirmations appointed by a democrat president. I'm just curious if they were different in regards to asking questions or where they all simply, I won't answer this question because I need to consult my colleagues, etc etc.

19. what

what Member

She has not not given answers where she was able to.
    People want to hear what they want to hear.

Do I think that Amy Barrett personally believes in the right to life and opposes row v wade, yes. Do I think it matters as to how she would rule, most likely not.
    Again, if this was Brent kavanaugh, then I would put more weight into his personal opinions. As far as ACB is concerned, I think she has demonstrated that her view of the office of a judge is far different from her personal views.
    You may think that people don't hold the office as different from personal life and politics but that's your opinion. I certainly would have a different view of the president in this matter as well.
    I think ACB has proved that she holds her office as being sacred.

20. NewRoxFan