ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract


Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
All this Jeremy Lin talk remind me of a younger Kyle Lowry once upon a time
Tags:  basketball, championship, defense, houston rockets, jeremy lin, kyle lowry, learn, nba Tags
meh is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,519
Member: #4868
    Reply With Quote
When traded to the Rockets, Kyle Lowry was in his 3rd year with a limited resume. His scouting report was that he could attack the basket, good floor general, great rebounder for a PG, play good defense, but couldn't shoot worth a damn. He then spent the next year being exactly just that, all while the Rockets insist that he shot really well in practice, and felt that he can be a good shooter.

Fast forward 2 years into the future. When signing with the Rockets, Jeremy Lin is in his 3rd year with limited resume. His scouting report is that he can attack the basket, good floor general, great rebounder for a PG, play the passing lanes on D but more suspect man-defender, and not a good shooter. He has now spent 12 games being exactly just that, all while the Rockets insit that he shoot really well in practice, and feel like he can be a good shooter.

Remember the immortal words of DaDakoda. "Kyle Lowry is a career backup." And I believe he had seen Lowry for more than 12 games when making such a proclamation too. Learn from the past, and be more patient. Jeremy Lin's not holding us back from championship path this year. If he takes a month or even a season to feel comfortable shooting in an actual game, so be it. There's plenty of time.
 
Sponsored Link
Orange is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Orange
Member
Orange is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineOrange is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 954
Member: #51609
    Reply With Quote
My problem with Lin is that he struggles to handle the ball.
 
SkyrimOwnsAll is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
SkyrimOwnsAll
Member
SkyrimOwnsAll is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodSkyrimOwnsAll is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,395
Member: #51815
    Reply With Quote
i agree with the OP

but Lowry developed under Adelman( who is a master at unwanted players... Chase, Brad Miller, Lowry, etc)

If Lin was playing under Adelman i might have more hope for him
 
SkyrimOwnsAll is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
SkyrimOwnsAll
Member
SkyrimOwnsAll is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodSkyrimOwnsAll is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,395
Member: #51815
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyrimOwnsAll View Post
i agree with the OP

but Lowry developed under Adelman( who is a master at unwanted players... Chase, Brad Miller, Lowry, etc)

If Lin was playing under Adelman i might have more hope for him

delevoping
 
kastuul is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
kastuul
Member
kastuul is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodkastuul is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,276
Member: #51938
    Reply With Quote
Lin salary is higher than Lowry.

And he's shooting % declines, not undeveloped.
 
meh is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,519
Member: #4868
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
My problem with Lin is that he struggles to handle the ball.
Last year, Kyle Lowry in 32mpg averaged 2.8TO/game
This year so far, Jeremy Lin in 33mpg averages 2.8TO/game

The parallel is downright uncanny.
 
meh is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,519
Member: #4868
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastuul View Post
Lin salary is higher than Lowry.

And he's shooting % declines, not undeveloped.
If you believe 78 games (#of games Lin has played in the NBA) is enough to determine if a player is a developed shooter, I'd like to hear the basis for that argument.
 
JJ23 is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
JJ23
Rookie
JJ23 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 807
Member: #52752
    Reply With Quote
great post OP...but there are way to many whiners who want instant results and bash away. I have no doubt the ROX will be a much better team in the 2nd half of the season and especially next year. As far as Lin is concerned, I think he does have upside. We'll just have to wait and see. NOBODY can predict whether will be average or a star....NOBODY. I remember Nash was doubted pretty much his whole career (and no I'm not comparing Lin to Nash so calm da eff down). Even when he won the MVP award, the other black players were saying crap like it's because of the system blah blah. But now look at him...he's a future HOF.
 
dream1222 is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
dream1222
Member
dream1222 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Aug 2012
Posts: 278
Member: #52025
    Reply With Quote
Lowry was shooting very well in practice when there is no pressure, he just lacked confidence
I guess Lin is going through the same thing, he has 87.5% ft shooting.
If he can keep working on his jumper, better form, faster release, he will be fine... someday...
 
thekad is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
thekad
Member
thekad is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodthekad is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,181
Member: #23394
    Reply With Quote
Lin is an obvious net negative on the court. Lowry was an obvious net positive, as soon as began backing up AB. And Lowry was younger.

There's no comparison.
 
dream1222 is offline Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
dream1222
Member
dream1222 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Aug 2012
Posts: 278
Member: #52025
    Reply With Quote
“I can’t wait until I’m watching ESPN and I see a highlight of Jeremy Lin passing me the ball and I hit a shot and they say, ‘Jeremy Lin to Jeremy Lamb,’ ” said Lamb, a rookie out of Connecticut. “Or the other way around when I pass it to him, because he’s a great shooter.”
base on Jeremy Lamb's comment, Lin shooting is fine in practice...
 
Lihao is offline Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Lihao
Member
Lihao is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,023
Member: #52424
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
Last year, Kyle Lowry in 32mpg averaged 2.8TO/game
This year so far, Jeremy Lin in 33mpg averages 2.8TO/game

The parallel is downright uncanny.
EYE TEST
 
Vienna Calling is offline Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
Vienna Calling
Member
Vienna Calling is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2003
Posts: 259
Member: #10888
    Reply With Quote
Sorry, I don't see the parallels either. Lin does a coupe of things well but he still is a horrible shooter and a far below average defender. Lowry is a better player in nearly all aspects of the game.
 
meh is offline Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,519
Member: #4868
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekad View Post
Lin is an obvious net negative on the court. Lowry was an obvious net positive, as soon as began backing up AB. And Lowry was younger.

There's no comparison.
Of course it's not a perfect comparison. Nothing in NBA is. Lowry played against backups on a team with veterans like Yao, Hayes, Scola, Battier, Lee, Artest, Martin, etc. Teams that won 50+ and 40+ games in the two seasons he was a backup.

Now Lin has played on a team with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year players, less talent, less chemistry, and has to play against starters.

I can see why Lowry would've looked better back then.
 
youngshev03 is offline Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
youngshev03
Member
youngshev03 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 425
Member: #26563
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
Fast forward 2 years into the future. When signing with the Rockets, Jeremy Lin is in his 3rd year with limited resume. His scouting report is that he can attack the basket, good floor general, great rebounder for a PG, play the passing lanes on D but more suspect man-defender, and not a good shooter. He has now spent 12 games being exactly just that, all while the Rockets insit that he shoot really well in practice, and feel like he can be a good shooter.
Looks like you made most of that scouting report on Lin up. I never heard anything about him being a "good floor general" or a "great rebounder for a PG". Lowery had a limited resume because he didn't get any PT. Lin was brought here because of Linsanity and the fact that he could generate revenue. The only knock on Lowery was that he couldn't shoot consistently. That can be fixed for any player so I can see Lin fixing that. As for the rest, not gonna happen.
 
youngshev03 is offline Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
youngshev03
Member
youngshev03 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 425
Member: #26563
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
Last year, Kyle Lowry in 32mpg averaged 2.8TO/game
This year so far, Jeremy Lin in 33mpg averages 2.8TO/game

The parallel is downright uncanny.
Last year Lowry handled the ball every time up the court and set up the offense. This year Harden does that. If Lin handled the ball as much as Lowry did last year, he would have more TO's. No comparison. This is how stats lie to you.
 
JJ23 is offline Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
JJ23
Rookie
JJ23 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 807
Member: #52752
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngshev03 View Post
Last year Lowry handled the ball every time up the court and set up the offense. This year Harden does that. If Lin handled the ball as much as Lowry did last year, he would have more TO's. No comparison. This is how stats lie to you.
So I guess stats are less superior to your premonitions or predictions? Personally, I'd go with the stats over your fortune telling abilities anyday.
 
youngshev03 is offline Old 11-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
youngshev03
Member
youngshev03 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2007
Posts: 425
Member: #26563
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
So I guess stats are less superior to your premonitions or predictions? Personally, I'd go with the stats over your fortune telling abilities anyday.
So you're saying that if someone handles the ball more, they would have less turnovers? Are you saying that Lin is handling the ball as much as Lowry did last year? It's not predicting anything when a player is handling the ball less and has the same amount of TO's.
 
JJ23 is offline Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
JJ23
Rookie
JJ23 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 807
Member: #52752
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngshev03 View Post
So you're saying that if someone handles the ball more, they would have less turnovers? Are you saying that Lin is handling the ball as much as Lowry did last year? It's not predicting anything when a player is handling the ball less and has the same amount of TO's.
No I never said that. You do realize when the majority of TOs happen right? Hint: It's not while the PG brings it up the court.
 
Luca is offline Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
Luca
Member
Luca is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Posts: 522
Member: #52397
    Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
great post OP...but there are way to many whiners who want instant results and bash away. I have no doubt the ROX will be a much better team in the 2nd half of the season and especially next year. As far as Lin is concerned, I think he does have upside. We'll just have to wait and see. NOBODY can predict whether will be average or a star....NOBODY. I remember Nash was doubted pretty much his whole career (and no I'm not comparing Lin to Nash so calm da eff down). Even when he won the MVP award, the other black players were saying crap like it's because of the system blah blah. But now look at him...he's a future HOF.
Lmao at your quote "calm the eff down". Nice post.
 

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Lowry / Rockets remind you of Parker / Spurs from a few years ago? crash5179 Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 19 07-05-2012 11:07 AM
Hardwood Paroxysm - Will A Very Kyle Lowry December Turn Into A Very Kyle Lowry Year? Hayesfan Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 0 12-30-2011 08:54 PM
Kyle Lowry turning things around (UPDATE: Added Lowry's highlights) Clutch Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 130 12-04-2010 11:07 AM
Kyle Lowry should be playing in clutch time RyanB Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 10 11-23-2009 06:57 PM
[Yahoo] Lowry is younger, better, cheaper than Alston. Spacemoth Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves 82 02-20-2009 09:30 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.