1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All this Jeremy Lin talk remind me of a younger Kyle Lowry once upon a time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 23, 2012.

1. lfw

lfw Rookie

Nice post OP and it is nice to see some of the vets on this board show some support for Lin during his struggles but the the one thing I learned from following Lin is that even though Lin is still a very inexperienced NBA player with only 37 career starts, it seems most people already made up their minds on what he is already, whether he has potential or not.

But the truth is, nobody truly knows how Lin will turn out. There are no prior cases of an asian-american basketball player from the Ivy League making the NBA and then putting up HOF numbers in the first 2 weeks of playing real minutes for the 1st time in his career after only playing garbage minutes as the 12th man off the bench. To me, Lin is a young player with potential, to others, he is a fluke.

For a little perspective, as poorly as Lin played so far this season, after 12 games, he has logged:

2 double-doubles
    1 game with 10 rebounds
    2 games with 10 or more assists
    4 games with 3 or more steals
    2 games with 2 or more blocks

This is pretty impressive to me especially for a player who has been struggling on the youngest team in the NBA.

2. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

so like I said before I am fine with the ROX making Lin into a Shooting Guard on this team... and im sure he is too... as he is a team player...

but we already know he isnt the best passer in the league nor is he the best shooter in the league...

but the haters are jumping all over him just for sucking at that...

acting like this is his real game to run to the 3 point Lin and shoot 3s

well HELLLLOOOOO

whats the big deal? you are not going to make the playoffs and if for some miracle Rox do they wont make it out of the first round...

now the NY Knicks....

3. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

problem with the haters is they have the idea... LOFs think LIN is the greatest thing since sliced bread...

and the best basketball player ever and ever and ever...in the whole universe

thus their opinions are tainted and biased towards those thoughts and feelings...

and it comes out in their posting...

where

in

reality

most LOFS

think that....

" Lin is a young player with potential"

4. SK34

SK34 Member

Not really. Coming of the bench, Lowry proved himself. Lowry had to work for both his contracts and a starting role. Lin didn't do crap and got a huge contract. He didn't deserve it cause he hadn't played many games to prove it.

5. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No he didnt.
    He's 9th overall in Reb rate among PGs and his "floor general" title was recognized when he was in NY.

6. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Thats pure ignorance.

You could say the same thing to Harden as well, how many games has he played to earn him that 80mil contract?

Lowry didnt play enough games to prove he can be a starting point guard either, he had to start because AB was injured.

Stop sounding like Lin got the contract only because he's asian, its a mixture of marketbility and Lin being a good prospect going forward, otherwise the Rockets would have signed Yi long time ago.

7. lfw

lfw Rookie

Again, Lin's contract is a special case. If Lin was drafted, he would be playing under the rookie scale contract. But because he is undrafted, he was fortunate enough to be a restricted free agent after playing the best basketball of his life even though it was only 25 starts.

I wouldn't exactly say Lin did crap either. No very many NBA players in history at any point in their careers had the stretch that Lin did in the first 2 weeks of starting for the first time in the NBA.

This article was written by Nate Silver who is widely known for his statistical analysis. He developed PECOTA, a system for forecasting the development of baseball players, and sold it to Baseball Prospectus. He correctly predicted the winner of 49 of 50 states in the 2008 Presidential elections and the winner of all 50 states in the 2012 Presidential elections.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/jeremy-lin-is-no-fluke/

8. jojolover

jojolover Member

I feel Lin is better than Kyle in penetration.

Before Kyle showed/developed a decent shooting, I felt the same frustration as I am watching Lin now.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Because Kyle Lowry--for as good as he is (he's one of my favorite players ever)--is NOT a superstar. He was, however, the single best trade asset the Rockets organization possessed in its attempt to acquire that superstar. Unfortunately, for as great as he was, the market for Lowry was not quite as great as the potential market for a nearly-guaranteed lottery pick. Hence, the Rockets traded away a very good player on a great contract in exchange for a more marketable trade chip . . . which they later cashed in to get James Harden, a more likely superstar than Lowry.

Which part of all this did you not understand before posting your asterisk-laced question?

1 person likes this.
  10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Numbers and "data" have no meaning if they're misunderstood or misrepresented. This is what we're seeing with these Lin stats, over-simplified readings with biased intent.

No one would argue that Dalembert was bad last season, and even worse this season. Yet, he has a 24+ PER.

11. platypus

platypus Member

While i may agree with your post in terms of Lin's development i have to disagree with your comparisons on kyle. I remember the laker series when we had yao, while kyle couldn't shoot a lick his strengths were getting to the cup and getting fouled. I remember many people on this board loving his aggressiveness and bowling ball style of play. Lin may have been that way with the knicks but as a rockets pg he is underwhelming in the aggressiveness department.
    Now I'm guessing this is partly to the offense we are running and the fact that our coaches insist on harden running the offense but even when he has the ball he is looking to pass first. I'd like to see Jeremy attack the cup more. And lastly i wanna see him play with a little more fire. If toney freaking douglas is taking his minutes that is a disgrace.

12. SK34

SK34 Member

Career back up? hell no! smh
    Lowry actually proved that he can play the starting role productively, on the other hand, Lin has not.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

A big reason why Lin isn't getting to the hoop more is because of his shooting slump. Teams have started sagging off him, letting him shoot rather than drive the ball. Sadly, Lin has been apprehensive about shooting it lately. Once he gets out of his shooting funk--even if he's not exactly shooting at a high clip--he'll get to the basket more easily.

Also, for as much as people like to make fun of him, Toney Douglas is a pretty darn good on-the-ball defender. That skill is useful at the ends of games when you need to get stops. If Lin isn't hitting his shots, and if defenses are sagging off him and not allowing him to get into the paint, it's not like bringing in Douglas for improved defense is the worst thing in the world.

Still, I'd rather have a so-so shooting Lin in the game over Douglas. Here's hoping we'll see that version of Lin sooner rather than later.

14. psingh34

psingh34 Member

come on man that is no where near close to being accurate. When lowry joined the rockets he was 23 lin is now 24 .. there is basically a 7 month difference in their age that is basically the same thing. and you are going to compare net negative and positive for players on two DIFFERENT TEAMS!! how does that work??? That comparison only works when they are on the same team and you can say when this guy is on the court we do better. When lowry started out with the rockets, he had tmac and yao playing with him, you dont think that contributed to the net positive?

15. psingh34

psingh34 Member

this was the majority opinion about lowry as well in the same sample size of games. Lowry had time to prove his worth why are we not giving lin the same thing. And I am curious about finding out how many people that were anti lowry trade to the rockets and or anti rockets matching cavs offer are now complaing about lin

16. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

interesting comparison to J Kidd....thing is J Kidd is more athletic then you think, OK maybe not vert wise, but agility, speed, strength all far exceeds jeremy....not a bad match though :cool:

17. psingh34

psingh34 Member

you want to know lowrys stats before earning the contract? 9.1 points 4.5 assists ... lin was 14.6/6.2 in his only season as a pro playing 2 min more per game than lowry. Yes the sample size is smaller but its not like over that sample size (35 games) lin didnt show something. The sample size for lowry was considered small at the time too, he had nto averaged more than 24 min per game and was getting paid starters money while AB was the starting point guard. Morey made the right decision then and i think he will make the right decision now

18. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

lin has trouble finishing at the basket. lowry runs over people.

do people really see similarities in the way they play? i for sure dont

19. psingh34

psingh34 Member

TOs dont happen bringing the ball up the court (as someone else pointed out) It is not like the rockets ran their offense through lowry every time as in they stood around and he made things happen... the rockets scored in various ways, one was giving it to martin (When he was going), then there was DRAGIC (the guy who at times shared pg duties with lowry i guess you forgot about him when talking about lowry handling the ball all the time); scola in the post was also an option.. so you are wrong lowry did not handle the ball at all times

20. psingh34

psingh34 Member

Just to piggy back off of what you said ..lowry also was able to drive in more bc unlike now we had yao then. The person guarding yao did not leave yao to help or on a pick and roll, that made things ALOT easier for the penetrator. The rockets also had more proven shooters during that time so there was less sagging off defenders. Guys like AB, buddinger, battier, artest (The year he was with the rockets) were good open shooters so that made the lane more open.

lastly adelman was/is a better offensive coach then mchale and his system produced better scoring opportunities that did not predicate on shooting from the outside all the time

these things helped lowry along until his shooting improved, lin does not have these luxuries and still if you look at his stats this year compared to lowrys last year lowry only averaged 4.3 more points, 0.4 assists, 0.3 less TOs, 0.1 rebounds while having 2 more years of experience on lin....

i am not saying lin is the second coming (personally i would have preferred dragic) but he is a rocket and I am going to support him.