1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All this Jeremy Lin talk remind me of a younger Kyle Lowry once upon a time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I pretty much don't see any comparison. Lin's got a long long way to go before he's as good as Lowry was even 2 years ago. I don't think their games are even slightly similar.

2. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

I will point out to you like I pointed out to him, no they don't happen bringing the ball up the court. They happen when you try to create plays for yourself and teammates. Those duties were stripped from Lin because he turns the ball over to much. I like how you dudes try to overlook that. Harden creates the plays for this team.

3. catch22

catch22 Member

i have being a rockets fan for more than 10 years but decided to register here for the first time because of lowery

what i can say is that your comment is very biased. lowery attacked the basket fearlessly but his attack was no where near as efficient as lin with his floater. the human bowling ball was aimless a lot of time

lowery did develop into a great player, whether lin can do the same is up for debate

1 person likes this.
  4. sando

sando Member

I don't know why but I feel Lin can be a better player than Lowry.

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

Lowry was frustrating at times to watch in the beginning of the year. Couldn't hit a shot, let alone a 3 to save his life. He would bowl to the rim sometimes, sometime it ended up well, other times it would be a TO or brick. Playmaking was better than Aaron brooks so no complaints there, but wasn't at a high level either.

Then he started hitting his 3's and his game took off. At least he was playing with energy and aggression during that time though, something I have yet to see Lin do consistently.

6. dantian

dantian Member

Lin regressed a bit over his Linsanity plays, mainly by effectiveness of his drives to the basket. He seems a tad slower in general, while picking up his dribble a tad too early. So, somehow his rhythm in the paint is off for effective teardrops or layups. And his shooting confidence is way off. But I believe he will find way to correct these issues.

Given these issues, he absolutely proved great floor vision as PG, not just a drive-and-kick kind of PG like Lowry or Marbury. His defense is underrated. So, once the dribble and shooting issues are solved, he will be a great PG.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is what I remembered too, when I made this thread. And I would think my memory isn't so bad I can't even remember Rockets players of 3 years ago.

8. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Your argument is pretty much baseless.

It completely makes no sense because Harden is averaging a ton of turnovers being the main playmaker while not getting nearly as many assists as Jeremy. He's averaging 4.2 TOs a game to 4.6 assists.

Jeremy is averaging 6.3 assists to only 2.8 TOs...while handling the ball FAR LESS. Sure perhaps his TOs would go up if he controlled the ball more, but then so would his assists.

9. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Lowry and Lin are such different players... hard to compare.

Lin is more like Dragic, and I'm afraid both are more suited as bench players (just my opinion).

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

How are Lowry of 3 years ago so different from Lin today?

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Mle money << 8m a yr. Morey matched the lowry offer,but out right poison pilled the knicks for a guy he cut in camp and played in 30 games.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, it's Les' money, not mine. And his contract is not preventing us from getting anyone special. Even if you are a fan of someone like Mayo, the Rockets still had money to throw at him even with Lin. They simply decided not to.

Going forward, even if for some bizzare reason CP3 or Dwight Howard decide that Houston's a great place to make max money, Morey can give it to them very easily. Even with this contract.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

All I'm saying is the more money a player makes,the greater the expectations are on that player.If lin were on a rookie contract an playing like he is, no one would care. Parsons has severely outplayed lin and he's making what, 1m? Even with patterson not progression, posters see him on a rookie deal. Lin is playing to his contract which surprising considering 8m isn't a asg type of salary

14. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Because people project themselves onto their sports team.

LOFs (mostly Asians) are ostracized from mainstream America, look at Lin as being the pioneer in breaking the stereotype. Asians even though are fairly successful and have the highest per capita income, are virtually shut out from the media unless it is to point out the negatives of Asians. Asians growing up had no Asian-Americans like Lin until he showed up. So naturally, LOFs will take offense to anyone critical of Lin even though it is true. I think LOFs can ease the pain by just letting go, hang out like anyone else and stop taking yourself too seriously. Your lives in general are better than most LOHs so be thankful that you have that.

LOHs on the other hand, hate Lin not because of basketball but sees him as a threat to their projected dominance in an area that they see is their domain. That's why you see people from SAS, rich successful still get all riled up when Lin is mentioned. LOHs should just chill and embrace everyone. The NBA is an international franchise now and it is about time to welcome everyone. Look at diversity as an opportunity not threat.

LOFs will defend Lin by using stats because LOFs want to justify Lin's worth. LOHs, well the letter "H" has "hate" in it so therefore hate has no rationale and reason but hate.

1 person likes this.
  15. haven

haven Member

How? I've never seen evidence that Lin takes plays off. He's not as demonstrative and fiery, but I would be very reluctant to equate that with a lack of "energy." As for aggression, Lin is certainly aggressive about taking the ball to the hoop. You don't want a player with Lin's relatively poor lateral quickness playing more aggressively on defense.

16. Luca

Luca Member

Kudos to your post. Nice.

17. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Lowry was a young PG with elite defensive skills and explosiveness. Lin is a young PG who doesn't do anything particularly well.

Lowry's J always looked solid, it was a matter of time it came around. Lin's looks like a middle-schooler's set-shot.

The only similarity is that Lowry was once young and not a good shooter, but they are completely different otherwise.

18. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Jlin also once had Explosive quickness last season , waiting for knees to heal. :cool: Have patience bro. I rather he plays within his limits smartly now, and build his confidence, with games like this one.
    When he heals, we should see some of that explosive speed back.

19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I disagree, Lin already runs the team better and passes better than Kyle did his first few years. It took Lowry 4 or 5 years before he shot over 30% from beyond the arc. I think Lins defense is at least above average for point guards but not as good as Lowrys.

Lin is pretty much a rookie, give the guy a chance to develop I think he has a high upside. I'm sure his shot will get better as time goes on and that will just make all of the rest of his offensive game better.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

This isn't a good comparison.

Kyle Lowry forced himself into our rotation despite his inability to shoot. Remember, he shot 39% in his first year with us. A lot of the fans still raved about him and many even wanted him before Brooks who was balling that year offensively. why? B/c Lowry does other things well (attack the basket, get to the rim at will at times, get to the FT line).

If we had a more capable PG right now or if Lin didn't come in with the hype, he would be glued to the bench right now. Period. But poor shooting never deterred Lowry from playing his game.