1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All this Jeremy Lin talk remind me of a younger Kyle Lowry once upon a time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 23, 2012.

1. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Nope, happens when they are trying to create for themselves or teammates, which Lin has had stripped from him because, (wait for it), he turns the ball over to much.

2. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Haha Thx. Anyway, I just think we should give any player a season or two before we declare him a scrub or a star. But I guess some ppl don't have the patience...Fine just give him time to complete one full season at least.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I like Jeremy Lin, I think he develop into a good, solid, guard. But what I don't particularly like are his devoted fans, who get butt hurt over any little, tiny, criticism anybody has for Jeremy Lin.

4. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I think love or hate for any player in any extreme is an indication of some other underlying problem. Blind Lin fans and Lin haters are a cancer to this board. To be honest though, some of the bashing against Lin I've read on this board is really really negative and beyond normal fan criticism. Kinda like the dude with a beer who was at the last game yelling at Lin the whole game. I'm pretty sure Lin and every player could hear this guy. Very pathetic.

5. JK1

JK1 Member

Same here. Someone else said it best, they are like unwelcome houseguests.

Some of them have no respect, previsouly with the RealGM forum and currently with the CF forum, come in and act like they own the place.

When Jeremy turns it around, and starts playing a lot better, I want the comments to be organic, real. But with some of these fools, that post, and post, and post, and fcken post, again and again (ad nauseam), it doesn't feel like it.

Here is an idea, try posting less, and stop writing annoying posts to try to convince people of this about Lin or that about Lin - you will never convince the haters, aint gonna happen - moreover, you will piss off other people, like you did in RealGM and are doing now in CF. For the love of GOD, can you please stop posting incessantly in a thread !!

6. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I'm personally sick of both. I wish it could just be real and intelligent conversation as opposed to irrational biased ones.

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

False statement! Not according to RAPM. Here is the list of players with their RAPM data for 2012:

Player - Off/100 - Def/100 - Off+Def/200 - Possessions
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Harden ** 4.1 **** -0.4 **** 3.8 ******** 1595.0
    Asik **** -1.7 **** 4.1 **** 2.4 ******** 1352.0
    Lin ***** 1.0 ***** 0.0 **** 1.0 ******** 1452.0
    Delfino * -0.5 ***** 0.6 **** 0.1 ******** 727.0
    Morris ** -0.8 ***** 0.0 *** -0.8 ******** 906.0
    Smith ** -0.5 ***** -0.2 *** -0.8 ******** 272.0
    Parsons * -0.6 **** -0.2 *** -0.8 ******** 1586.0
    Douglas * -0.9 **** -1.5 *** -2.5 ******** 597.0
    Aldrich ** -1.7 **** -1.2 *** -2.8 ******** 279.0
    Patterson* -2.1 **** -1.1 *** -3.2 ******** 1127.0

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/teams/HOU.html

Only four Rockets have a positive impact on the team w/ their on court and off court influence; Harden, Asik, Lin, and Delfino. The rest all have negative net.

8. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

sigh...I have a great idea. Can someone, maybe Clutch, make a section for LOFs and LOHs can post away and go at each other as much as they want? Label the section LOH vs. LOF.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Good stuff. Learn from Dadakoda: "Kyle Lowry is a career back-up"

I don't want anyone here to flip flop when Lin becomes good... and say others mixed up their words trying to act all like they didn't disrespect Lin...

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lowry wasn't getting paid 8 mil. Yes I know he is getting 5 mil but he is counting 8 mil.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What magic development dust did Adelman use with Lowry that isn't being used with Lin? Please identify it.

12. kastuul

kastuul Member

Many Lin fans are female.
    They watch NBA because of LIN.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

OP has given me perspective and hope, Thank you.

14. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

theres NOTHING similar in their back drops.. Lowry was drafted, Lin was not.. in the limited time Kyle played he was solid but didnt jump off the screen, Lin exploded onto the scene in NY with eye popping stats and game winners and blew up into an iconic figure behind the idiot media in NY and at espn
    Lowry was traded to HOU and slowly but steadily progressed which warranted a 6 year 24 mil contract. Lin got a ton of hype on a small sample size of games-albeit an amazing sampple size- and capitilized on a 3 yr 25 mil dollar contract. When Lowry got his full time starting gig, he flourished and gained more and more confidence and progressed into a top 10, all star caliber PG and validated and outplayed his contract.
    Now Lin has his first full time PG gig, and hes absolutley blowing it, playing like garbage quite honestly, and losing all confidence during the process

So no, theres undeniably ZERO parallels and similarities between the 2 players, stop it

15. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Good thread is good.

16. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Great post. I think this gives great perspective. I'm a longtime Rockets fan, and an Asian American, who just loves basketball I followed Jeremy's entire run last year.

I think I even fell a victim to expecting more soon early on. I get the disdain for Lin only fans. Wish there was maybe more of a vetting process to allow people to post. Wouldnt mind if people could read posts, but to start new threads and troll..not the best thing for the CF community.

On the other hand, its funny to see "True" rocket fans result to become trolls themselves to combat the problem. Everyone has an agenda and nobody wants to let it go and the risk of "losing face".

Ive followed basketball pretty closely for 25+years, and I'll be the first to have an intelligent conversation about my favorite teams or players weakness. In fact, I enjoy those conversations more than the superficial "youre right, your team, your guy is good" conversations.

Unfortunately so much of the criticism of Jeremy Lin is reactionary in nature. I get that he's a polarizing figure. But he really means a lot to Asians and Americans. This article said it best for me: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/justin-339740-jeremy-lin.html

Now on what Ive seen. What I really liked early in the season is when he was struggling to shoot, he was finding a way to be effective. Defense, Rebounding, Pushing Tempo. If you guys havent noticed he's a hell of an outlet passer and great and finding guys in transition. Thats actually an aspect of his game he didnt show last year. He was actually showing a better job of being a "true pg" in preseason and early season. That was one of the criticisms of his game last year, and to me he's shown flashes that he can play the attacking or true pg type of game. Now is finding the balance and improving on both.

What he really needs to continue to work on is consistently hitting that shot. when the run started last year I was telling friends he wouldnt keep it up cause he wasnt a great shooter. But during the run he stayed red hot and proved me wrong. This year he's regressed to way below my expectations lol

He's gotta vary his approach to the basket too. He plays with 1 speed a lot of times especially after he turns the corner and beats his man. He just goes fast and tries to explode to the basket. Players have learned to read and time that. You watch great finishers like Kyrie and Chris Paul at the pg. Its not all about athleticism and speed, its about varying your speed, doing little nuanced head fakes and ball fakes that freeze a defender, then finishing easily. A lot of those guys can get into traffic but finish without contact. Everytime Lin goes to the hole he takes contact whether he makes it or not lol. Aside from his shot this is one thing I hope he continues to work on.

Defensively, I think he's underrated on the ball. But he has 1 kyrptonite which Im not sure he will ever solve. Super quick attacking pgs like Nate Robinson. Those guys will always give him problems. I pray the game he goes up against CP3 the first time lol.

Luckily there arent a whole lot of them in the league anymore. There are some super quick ones, but they dont all attack. Ty Lawson had him on skates a few times even I lol'd but yea Cp3, Lawson, Nate, Jennings, Westbrook, Tony Parker. I wouldnt mind seeing him guard some 2s if we play him with TD. Jeremy does a phenomenal job of guarding guys who think they can "back him down and overpower him."

maybe he would be better suited backing up another 2pg right now. But you know what? we dont have that. So hes gonna have to learn by fire. Sorry guys, I live in NY and watched plenty of TD play. If you really think hes a starting pg youre not very sharp. Otherwise youre just trolling.

You know who his game reminds me of. (key word: reminds, not syaing he's a HOF pg) but he plays similar to Jason Kidd: Big Pg--not super athletic. Can mix it up and rebound (not one of those pgs who just picks up rebs that bounce to him), has great hands and ball skills on defense, pushes the pace in transition. His passing is nowhere near Kidd level, but he's not a bad passer. His shooting is reminiscent of early Kidd, not current Kidd lol.

1 person likes this.
  17. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

So why the **** Rockets traded Kyle Lowry?

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How is he an obvious net negative on the court? He make plays. He plays defense. He rebounds. The only thing he's doing badly is shooting.

Shooting like garbage and playing like garbage are not the same.

The only really bad game he had was the Bulls game. Other than that, he's been quite solid except for his shooting.

1 person likes this.
  19. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

Lin fans maybe defending Lin but thats because of the over the top hate...

almost as if the haters forgot this team was blown up to get Howard...

and.....

Asik, Lin and Harden were suppose to be the final pieces to your championship team rather than a rebuilding team with a eye to 3 years from now when you can decide if you want to trade Lin and Asik away as expiring contracts...

id like for the people attacking LOFs like me to start posting the over the top comments by LOFs

before they make their blanket statements and generalizations...

20. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

As an unbiased outside observer, I think the Lin fans bring more to the table than those who bash him on this board. Lin fans actually bring numbers and data to the table, while the bashers just chime in that "he sucks" and "I hate the LOHs". I never understand why posters get so upset about other posters who support a player on their team. You should all be rooting for Lin to succeed.