1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All this Jeremy Lin talk remind me of a younger Kyle Lowry once upon a time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 23, 2012.

1. SK34

SK34 Member

On Harden, Harden showed stints of being a starter in the league and playing a star type level coming of the bench throughout the WHOLE season.

On Lowry, Lowry, whenever got into the game did amazing things for the rockets, all the little things that never go into the stat lines. Not only that he was setting up his teammates well for coming of the bench. Way more than AB. All AB had on lowry was that he could shoot better. Lowry played more than 35 games to gain the respect. SO did Harden.

And nobody said its cause of Race. But Lin didn't deserve his contract just cause of "LINSANITY" and 35 games. Every other player that earns great contracts lately have played at least a whole season and more to make a case to be considered "Stars" and "all stars" and made enough case to get their contracts.

What is unfair is that he got the big contract cause of "LINSANITY"...

Has he played up to his hype? NOPE.. and Do many of y'all make excuses for him? YEP.

Lowry proved that he can play and was consistent doing so. Has Lin beeen consistent? HELL NO.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is false in many ways. Lin's contract is that of an average NBA starter & he got his money based on his play not because of Linsanity. There is an extensive list of players who have gotten paid before off of a small sample size happens a lot in the NBA. Lin was by no means the first nor will he be the last, Lin was just the most public.

Dragic got his contract based on his 28 starts in HOU. Wesley Matthews got his money based on about 40 starts in Utah after a trade. Sasha P. is another player that comes to mind. Marcus Thornton as well i believe. All players who got fairly sizeable contracts off of less than a full season of play. This is all off the top of my head too.

1 person likes this.
  3. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

The average NBA starter doesn't make 8.3 mil a year unless it's a big man.

4. Akim523

Akim523 Member

The average starting point does

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Where is the link to the post of the salary of PG's getting paid around 8 million & what there averages were last year.

6. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

So Chris Paul is an avg PG? You can't take the best players and their salary and avg it with some trash PG and rookie starters and say that's and avg PG salary. Lin makes more than many PG's who are better than him. George Hill is one of them. Irving and Lillard are another 2 who are on Rookie contracts. That distorts the Avgs. He should be making about 5 mil a year for what he does.

7. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

I mean come on man. Lin really deserves more than Mike Conley? Get out of here with that.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

Where did I say CP3 was an average PG? In fact why did you even bringing up CP3 in the first place.

9. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Because his salary is averaged in to make the "average PG salary". That's how you get an average remember. You take all the starting PG's salaries, add them up and divide them. Paul makes 17+ mil and Felton makes 3+ mil. Who is Lin closer to? He's defiantly not worth 5 mil more than Felton.

10. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

Dude, you need to stop posting when you're drunk. You're not making any sense whatsoever. For the record, the average salary of starting point guards that are not on rookie scale contracts is $9.5 million, and Lin is making less than that. And the players that are making within $1 million of Lin's salary this year are Steve Nash, Jameer Nelson, Mo Williams, George Hill, Goran Dragic and Mike Conley.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are a moron.

12. SK34

SK34 Member

And all the players you have named have been in the league and proved themselves over more games than just a week of good play before becoming starters or getting that type of money. They worked their way up and Lin did get his contract because of "LINSANITY".. are you dumb?

Dragic played back up and was going to be a starter after Nash left. They were preparing him for that. When he started, all the work paid off.

Wes Matthews played more than just one week of good play, consistent basis.

Let me ask you something. Are Wes matthews and Dragic consistent in their play? Hell yea. Are they showing that they are deserving of that contract? YEP.

13. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

How did what I said not make any sense. Jeremy Lin isn't as good as any of those players you listed for one. Secondly, like I said, he hits the books for 8+ mil. Felton hits the books for 3+ mil. You really think this dude is worth 5 mil more than Felton? Like I said before, you can't average the salary of the best starting PG's in the league with the worst and say in the middle is what the avg player should make. I like how you look over the facts and don't answer any questions. You just throw out more #'s. Lin makes more than Conley, Dragic and George Hill. Would any of those teams take a straight up trade for him? HELL NO!

14. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I really don't know why we keep discussing Lin's contract. He's a special case, unique case. He was undrafted and blew up in an incredible way, then he was a RFA, who required a poison pill to pry away.

If his career had progressed in a normal way, he would either (1) be on a rookie contract because he was drafted, or (2) if Linsanity hadn't happened but he improved bit by bit, he would be a journeyman like a Ramon Sessions type.

There is no point in saying Irving earns less, or others have more a track record.

It is what it is.

15. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Every player's contract is more or less an individual story, based on draft position, free agency, the market at the time, the needs of teams at the time.

It's not like the NBA pays players a weekly salary based on their stats that week.

It's always an investment, a gamble. Look at Royce White. He's getting paid for doing nothing so far.

16. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

All these arguments boil down to: I think he's worth the 25mil gamble, I don't think he's worth the 25mil gamble.

FINE.

But until Morey trades him or Lin decides to retire from the NBA to become a pastor, he's here.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

There are some backup point guards in the league that are arguably better than Lin. I'd seriously consider taking young guys like Bledsoe, Bradley, and Bayless over Lin.

18. liunatic

liunatic Member

All the people you named are combo/shooting guards. None of them are points.

Bledsoe is the closest.

Also. for the love of god, Jeremy Lin is being paid 5 million a year. It just counts at 8 million a year against the salary cap.

19. nono

nono Member

waaaah waaah why is Lin making 2 million more per year than he's supposed to ?

waaaah

waaah

I pity you dunces.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Eric Bledsoe is a point a guard and the other two I named can play point. On top of that, Harden is a very capable ball handler and distributor so the Rockets can afford to have a combo guard type player at the point.

The salary cap is all that matters for a team. When Les gives him the money does not affect our ability to sign other players. I don't see why any fan or anybody outside of Les would really care about anything besides the cap number.