1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Observations on Game 1 Rockets v Lakers 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Sep 5, 2020.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

IMO, when a team doesn't play to its strengths, it's not playing to win.

AD is tall, long, has good hands, and is a decent ball-handler for his size. Getting him the ball should be easy, and the Laker ball-handlers were far too eager to look him off.

hakeem94 and Xerobull like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Speaking of observations of the game 1: Lakers are speaking of the spread of the Rockets.

Claim seeing it on tape was one thing; but seeing it first hand on the court was another.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The win was decisive but let's wait for adjustments (and I include the referees in that scenario :rolleyes: ).

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Easier said than done though. Same thing happened with Yao who was way taller, passes into the low post are difficult and everyone on the Rockets is long armed and strong. AD isn’t a bruiser, so it’s less about their strength and more about us making them play our way.

Just not a good match up for them

5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

how can anyone watch a movie and sit still while his Rockets are playing the lakers ( or any team in general) in the second round.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Life priorities, my friend. See next reply.

I don’t think their coaching can adjust enough.

Completely true regarding refs. It’s why I don’t live and die by the rockets any more. The game is fixed. I still enjoy the top skill level but it’s 98% pre-determined.

You could say that about any sport, ever. If you really believe that, why are you here?

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Did this dude just type "LeBron = Middleton?"

Oh my lord. I know we just beat the Lakers, but damn, the disrespect on LeBron right now is insane.

8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I totally disagree with this. Just watch AD body language. Dude was tired, had his hands on his knees half the game. He didn’t want the ball anymore. Even when he did get it he settled for an airball jumper. Sign of fatigue.

I was surprised he didn’t get more early in the game though.

D-rock and Xerobull like this.
  9. Sen89

Sen89 Member

LeBron is still up there with the best, I just think he gets a little comfortable playing the Magic Johnson role, now that he's 35 and he has AD. It makes sense, but he's gonna have to dig deep and enforce his will for them to beat us. Even then, I like our chances, considering the rest of their cast is filled with mediocre shooters or inconsistent players on at least one end.

D-rock, Corrosion and Xerobull like this.
  10. Xerobull

You can’t be hungry if you’re full.

LeBron is full. It was obvious when he chose to go to the lottery Lakers that his priority wasn’t winning. As great as he is, he can’t win without a good team behind him.

everyday eddie, D-rock and Corrosion like this.
  11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Even though he shot the ball well majority of his shots were jumpers 14 ft+. He had one drive on Harden and one offensive rebounds put back I can remember. The Rockets will live with AD hitting those longer mid range jumpers versus getting in deeper in the paint. Its a tougher shot plus it eliminates AD being in the paint for a potential offensive rebound.

The Lakers will adjust but they were not ready for the physicality of the Rockets last night. Portland is not a physical team at all. They were depleted for sure and tired a lot of games but Nurkic may play physical at times but not one else on Portland does. Whiteside is such a joke in terms of his effort. AD and Lebron are going to have to work a whole lot more against the Rockets. I believe the adjustments will come going forward but if the Rockets can replicate that effort they should be able to win this series. They way more open looks like night than any other game in the OKC series. If that keeps happening I do think Houston can pull it off.

The only thing I didn't like last night besides the House friendly fire injury was Westbrook taking 5 threes. He needs to make sure that's in the 2 to 3 attempts range. He can get his midrange and drive at any point against the Lakers bigs

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I honestly think the bubble and lack of the LA lights/attention/hoopla/energy is affecting him and the Lakers. They have to find other sources of motivation internally.

I think it's also hurt the Bucks and Giannis, but in a different way. They were riding the wave of having the best record, and their arenas reflected that (and they would've at least had homecourt). Granted, the Heat look like they just have their number regardless though.

I think the bubble is best for players who're motivated internally -- or just like to hoop. It might even favor the introverts like Kawhi and Harden.

13. cebunit

cebunit Member

Yup! It's like their whole identity is attached to being a big man. I always found it interesting that any NBA player could make it without being a good shooter. Times have changed. Dwight Howard is a perfect example of a still active "old school" post player that can't shoot.

D-rock, ApacheWarrior and Xerobull like this.
  14. Xerobull

This is so true and a fantastic point!!!

Self starters thrive off of different motivation than people who need someone else to pump them up.

Great post.

D-rock and Sen89 like this.
  15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think playoff rondo isn't a thing anymore. Basically we blew out the Lakers when he was on the floor.

D-rock and Xerobull like this.
  16. Xerobull

Agree. He’s done as a productive player. But he will probably have a job for years because he’s a locker room vet that other vets and coaches like.

D-rock likes this.
  17. kkthksbai

kkthksbai Member

Is it Sunday yet? I need more Rox ball

18. Chamillionaire

This is the first time we've ever played Lebron in the playoffs and I'm enjoying the **** out of it. He's 35 and still playing hard, but yeah they look like they're toast.

D-rock, joshuaao and bro2044 like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It was good to see Russ playing full speed no rust, no restrictions.

Deckard, j@amc and ApacheWarrior like this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Surprised the Lakers are talking about moving AD to center so soon to counter the Rockets speed.

I was expecting it in game 3.

When going into the playoffs, it’s about adjustments. Rockets not only got the win; but the Lakers making
    adjustments so soon is an indication that they know they can’t beat us playing their style.

Coaches love seeing the other team change from what got them there in the first place.

The Lakers B/R claims this will be the first time of both AD and MeGee being healthy.....that they won’t start
    together this season/post season. Advantage Houston......until their move makes a difference.