1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans Draft Pick Order Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston...-nfl-draft-draft-order-trending-up-for-texans

As of today, WE ARE #12! If Minny wins tonight, we move up to #11!

[​IMG]

How far can we can climb if we lose out?

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

They got us picking:

Houston Texans: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

The Texans have one of the worst defenses we've seen in a long time. So, how do you fix it?

First of all, Zach Diles needs to go. He's a horrific weakside linebacker who's a major liability in coverage. An upgrade at nose tackle is desperately needed. Two new safeties (particularly a free safety) have to be found. Another pass-rusher wouldn't hurt.

Stephen Paea is the best player on the board who would help improve Houston's defense. Paea is a 310-pound tackle who has 11 TFL and seven sacks on the year.

#1 Rockets34Legend, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Won't matter as long as Smith and Kubes are picking.

Drafting a killer DT for Cowher's new 3-4 sounds fun, though.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm fairly content with the play of Okoye and Cody. Okoye has shown some flashes of great play at times this year. I hate to say it, but I think you have to go with another corner this year. Otherwise, you go best player available if there's not a sure thing corner left.

As far as free safety, I'd have a little competition between Troy Nolan and Kareem Jackson. I think either one, or both would make for good free safeties given a year of development as a starter.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I believe the highest we can get is 2 or 3, but that would be extremely difficult.

We can get 5-6 by losing out and a little bit of help.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Browns, Vikes, Cowboys, Lions are the only teams I see with a fair chance of passing us in the win column.

I have a hard time seeing this as step 1.

It's critical to replace the DTs and DBs. Upgrading WLB is almost "if we get the opportunity" priority.

If we're lucky and Ryans is able to reclaim his spot, we'd have a fair amount of LBs to rotate around: Ryans, Cushing, Sharpton, Bentley, etc.

Sadly, the number of DTs and DBs really worthwhile in the first round is limited (2 each, IMO).

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would disagree on the first point. Amobi seems like he's only able to get penetration when he times the snap count. Yesterday showed what can happen if he guesses wrong....

Cody is JAG, really. The only time he gets penetration is when it is a screen pass and even then, he's not able to sniff out the play.

KJ at FS is interesting, and I think we saw GQ playing FS some yesterday. Wilson has to go, he was the one the Titans picked on for that big hitter to the TE on fourth down yesterday.

I'm almost open to trying to run a 46 defense with Pollard as the "46" safety. He's making a lot of plays in the box, and anything to keep him out of cover situations is almost a MUST do.

Texans draft needs - and this is getting repetitive - include defense, defense, defense. They need more help up-front and in the secondary. That being said, I'm sure we'll draft some interior offensive lineman and a TE somewhere between rounds 4-7.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think we've actually been seeing a variation of this in the past two or three games. Sometimes, we're keeping to the 4-3 and just blitzing Pollard, but other times, (yesterday seemed like we did it a lot) we're bringing Pollard into the box and blitzing him with an extra corner on the field. I could be wrong, though.

If we aren't, I actually like that idea. Bring Pollard into the box, and maybe have him cover the flats, or man up on a running back, or even spy over the middle.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

they should draft a defensive tackle or free safety in the first round. I want corners through free agency, no more rookies

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

well verner, mccourty are rookies. also safeties nate allen, earl thomas, eric berry, and tj ward are all rookie safeties who have played great.

so that's 6 secondary rookies who are better then anything we currently have on our roster.

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, we definitely saw it in the Ravens game as well. Cushing and Pollard are just more effective than some of the other guys we bring in our blitz packages.

I'll post this in the fix the Texans thread, but I would really consider dropping the Mario as a RDE (matched up against Left Tackle) experiment. He just doesn't have that speed burst to give OLTs a bigger problem. The reason Freeny is so effective as a RDE is because he has a speed move, a counter, and a bull rush. If you line up Mario as a LDE going against the right tackle, you better utilize his strength, and even marginalize his weakness. Also, you might help the team out by forcing the opponent to keep their TE or a RB into chip/double Mario. If it's the TE, Mario might be our most effective defender of that position :grin:

11. Raven

Raven Member

The important thing is not to win a meaningless game that hurts our draft selection. Meaning, of course, that we won't lose again, because that's what this team does, the exact opposite of what they need to do.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I said to draft a safety, not sure why you are going on about safeties.

As for corner, they need a guy with more than 1-2 years of NFL experience, I dont want yet another rookie corner

13. Egghead

Egghead Member

Rhino, this years safety class isn't very good. No safety is worth a top 15 selection.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_FS
    thats only the seniors.

the best JR free safety is Rahim Moore out of UCLA. He's projected as a late 1st rounder, if he declares.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Call me crazy, but I think the Texans have a decent shot at getting one of my three picks for them this year: Nick Fairley, Patrick Peterson, or Prince Amukamara. Any of those would be huge difference makers, and one of them (if I were predicting today, I'd say Amukamara) will probably be around when the Texans pick.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

@ Denver is a must lose game

you know what that means? we're going to win

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i know what you said, my main point is there are players in the draft if you know how to draft. texans haven't done a good job of hitting on their draft picks.

17. Remix

Remix Member

With the loss today i believe we have the 5th overall pick? Do actually have a legit shot at Patrick Peterson, Prince Nakamura, Aj Green, Nick Fairley, or Da'Quan Bowers :eek:

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If Denver wins next week . . and the Texans lose

they will both be 5-11
    Who will get the lesser pick?

Rocket River

19. Egghead

Egghead Member

MJ4Sports

With a loss next week to Jacksonville, the Texans could pick as high as #2. A loss will lock them into the top 5.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Knowing the Texans they'll screw up and beat Jacksonville.