1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans Draft Pick Order Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I would like to see the Texans use all their draft picks on defensive players. Draft only defensive players PLEASE!!!

Every team has some hits and misses every year, so I say pick nothing but defensive players and we are bound to find a couple of players that can help. Also pick up a few defensive free agents in the off season. Also pick up a backup QB. Also a new coach and GM. That is all.

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

Patrick Peterson

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Goodness. . .don't let that happen!!

Rocket River
    Lose Lose Lose!

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: If the Texans get the #2 Pick
    through some Miracle . . . . CAM NEWTON and ANDREW LUCK
    are on the board when it is the Texans Pick . . . .

do you still go defense with the pick . . .and Roll with SCHAUB
    or
    Do you get one of them.

*IF* Luck is the Next Manning . . .. Do you get him?

Rocket River

5. University Blue

Well, how many / what picks does Houston have? When is the draft; and how much time between next Sunday and the draft? If Houston is signing a new HC / GM, wouldn't they need to start the contract discussions right away -- to give the new coach time to recruit his staff?

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Drafting a QB in the top 5 next year would be the dumbest move this franchise has ever made, and that's saying something. They must draft defense.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I could see Newton falling low, we wouldn't bother. Doubt Luck goes. But if Luck was there you take him and trade down. A whole crap load of teams would be dying to snag him up. Dolphins probably trade you all kinds of goodies for example. Could you go get Lechler, Asomugha and a pick? Don't see why not.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If Luck in still on the board you take him. Matt is just not that good.

If its a choice between Newton or Peterson you pick Peterson all day.

We should feel lucky to be in this position. I feel Kubiaks failed regime is coming to and end whether Bob likes it or not. He can't afford a disinterested fan base.

9. University Blue

Has anyone started the ElwayBringKubiakBack.com site?

10. Remix

Remix Member

After this debacle of a season the Texans better not win next week. With a loss were guaranteed at least the number 5 pick, with a win we move back to 11/12. Please please start Leinart or something and lose next week.

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Matt Schaub is a top 10 NFL QB.

Texans have infinate more needs than upgrading a QB at this point.

CB or DT. the end.

12. Breaker

Breaker Member

I love Matt Schaub, but I wouldn't mind drafting a true franchise QB if we ended up in position to do so.

I like the idea of having a young QB siting back and learning for acouple of years, ala Philip Rivers/Aaron Rodgers; under a good QB and a stable coaching staff (here's hoping that Cowher is our HC next year). Schaub is going to be 30 before the start of the next season and probably have 3-4 good years left; which would give our young talented QB plenty of time to garner infomation/develop at the professional level.

Like I said earlier, it's not often you get a chance to draft a true franchise QB; a guy that can man the helm for around a decade on your football team, and do it at an elite level as well.

It's just that it might not be a practical move to help the new staff win now. We have the tools and make to be a very good team as of now; so adding another potential elite player to a position that is poor/average will help us even more in becoming contenders. But looking at the players ranking on a draftcountdown, I don't see any players that plays at a position we need worthy of being taken in the top 5 of the 2011 draft.

There's the CB from Nebraska, but seeing how we've already invested a 1st round pick on Kareem Jackson, and with the play of Quin and Allen late in the season, I don't think we should go CB with our pick. After Prince N, there's a bunch of highly rank DE, which would be a luxury on our team (never can have too many good DL), but don't necessary need.

What we need is an impact player at FS or DT, seeing we have margainal players currently at that position. Seeing how Laron Landry flies all over the field and takes over games down the sretch for his D, or how Suh & Ngata dominates interior linemen and hassling QB throughout a game makes me envy teams having those type of players.

13. Breaker

Breaker Member

If you're one of those fans on the Cowher Bandwagon, than maybe you should go ahead and hop on off... considering how Cowher had Schaub in his top 10 NFL QB rankings this season, and also that he's one of the main reason Cowher has us in his top 3 perfered teams to coach.

14. Raven

Raven Member

That's not how the Texans roll. It makes too much sense.

:(

15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

even the colts would draft luck if given the opportunity. you don't pass him up. with that said, he won't be around when the texans pick and cam is not worth it. go hard defense with one pick on a skilled receiver.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wow, please lose next week. Please.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

If they could actually land the number 2 pick, I wouldn't mind them trading down and getting more selections.

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Knowing the Texans, they will win a meaningless game and lose out on a top 5 pick BUT Jax NEEDS to win and the Texans will get killed by MJD/Jennings so maybe it will work out.

19. plates300

plates300 Member

It isn't so much drafting Luck, but it's what you can trade Luck for. Plenty of teams need franchise quarterbacks and you can trade Luck for a couple of good players plus maybe more 1st round picks.

20. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

If that ended up being the scenario, we should trade the pick, not take Luck.

Taking Luck, or any QB, would be the dumbest thing we could do. Schaub is not one of our problems. He makes his mistakes, to be sure, but if we had another HC or a better defense, or yadda yadda, we would be more than fine with Schaub.

Defense/Defense/Defense is what we need to take early and often.