1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maurice Taylor to Rockets??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 8, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

CK- I know he won't be PJ defensively, I was just making a comparison because their rebounding stats were similar.

Cabbage- Thanks for telling me that- I didn't realize that before. My fault.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Quarterfinals)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000978.html

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's worth noting that this thread has over 100 posts, while the Croshere thread (when he was in Houston) had 78. [​IMG]

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Cat -- Jayson Williams would be a better example.

------------------
    "Thick, lustrous hair is very important to me."
    -George Costanza

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

It's kind of funny the way so many people here are so down on Taylor, and think he will never improve his rebounding. And almost everyone here was excited about PJ Brown a couple of weeks ago because of his rebounding/defensive presence. Look at PJ's stats for his first 3 seasons

I don't think that anybody was trying to portray PJ Brown as a great rebounder. He is a great defender who plays hard every night and has a great attitude. Brown can contribute greatly without having the ball in his hands. Those are all things that the Rockets need and Taylor brings none of those things to the table.

------------------

5. The Cat

Aelliott,

Yes, I agree that those things are important for the Rockets to have. However, I feel that in order to contend, somewhere along the line we need to pick up a post man with a good offensive game. The backcourt we have now is great, and it may get us to the playoffs. But you can not win game after game, especially in the playoffs, by shooting jumpers, no matter how great your guards are. At some point, the jumpers won't fall, and you're going to need a safety net- a guy that can create his own shot close to the basket and score. At some point we need a PF or center with some nice offensive ability/moves in order to contend. Taylor has that. If Rudy can somehow motivate Taylor to work his butt off, and remember he does want to prove himself, I like what Taylor brings to the table. For 2.25M, Taylor is a real bargain, and a guy that I think would fit well with this team.

------------------

6. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

OK, let's pose a hypothetical scenario.

Mo goes to the Rockets Brass and says "I want to be a Rocket and I'll sign for your 2.25 million exception". Rudy and Co. talk to him, tell him he'll need to work hard, not complain like he did, get back into shape, hustle, and all the little things we dog him (rightfully) for. It becomes a worked out, silent agreement, that if Mo does these things (becomes a model player, improve his defense/board work, and the intangibles type of things) he'll be rewarded next year, or the year after. Now, the ball is in your court. Would you agree to sign Mo for the 2.25?

I personally don't see why something like that wouldn't work. Following that, the Rockets could pick up a JYD, or Feick using some combination of Bryce, KT, and the exception, and bring up the tough rebounder in the rotation. Would that not fix the PF spot?

Is a team of:
    Cato/Collier
    Taylor/tough rebounder (JYD/Feick)
    SF via draft/Langhi (Wallace, *Battier*, Yarbrough, *Morris*)
    Anderson/Mobley
    Francis/Moochie (or any other backup PG)

A team of Cato-Taylor-Morris-Anderson-Francis would be an excellent defensive team (Taylor and Francis would be the only weak links, and Francis could very well be much better, and Taylor should be better than he is now.) It'd have that same athletic quickness, 3 good perimeter passers, a post threat (and Morris as well is good post player), and all around rebounding.

So, if that's the case, do you sign Mo?

BTW, I can't see a sign and trade happening, because of the 3 year contract requirement.

------------------
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited August 09, 2000).]

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

NIKE: I still wouldn't sign him. Why didn't he play hard this year for his big contract? And who's to say that he will continue playing hard after his big payday? He has already demonstrated poor attitude and work ethic in a short career.

------------------
    "At least I screw sheeps..." - Corey Benjamin of the Clutch BBS.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

If a player can play uninspired ball and not play hard for an entire season and is still able to average 17 ppg and 6.5 rpg, imagine how good he would be if he DID play hard for an entire season.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

[This message has been edited by New Jack (edited August 09, 2000).]

9. aelliott

Cat,

I agree with you that we'll need a low post presence in order to eventually make a playoff run. What I disagree on is if Taylor is the guy to make us better.

It's not like Taylor is Tim Duncan in the paint. He's a good post up player, but he's not a super star. Other than being a good scorer, he does nothing else to help the team. I see no reason to believe that Taylor would play any differently in Houston than he did at Michigan or LA. He was suppose to be playing for a max deal last year and he didn't do anything, so why will it be different just because he's in Houston?

------------------

10. The Cat

I personally don't see what he had to play for with the Clippers.

1.He knew he was leaving the team.
    2.The fans hated him.
    3.They were the worst team in the league.
    4.He was promised (I believe) to a trade at the deadline and was not traded.
    5.David Falk essentially planted the idea in his head that he was a Max player.

Rebounding is to a large degree about desire, and as a Clipper I don't see really why he would give 100%. In a change of scenery, I think he would go out there trying to prove himself to the Clippers and to the NBA for treating him in this manner. Without being inspired, you can't expect anyone to be a good rebounder. Maybe it'll work, and maybe not, but I think there's a decent opportunity that a change or scenery will be very good for Taylor.

------------------

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

There is almost no downside to signing Mo Taylor.

1) His contract will be for one year only.

2) The Rocks have an established chemistry. He would have to be the devil incarnate to bother Dream, Cato, Pig, Langhi, Walt, Bull, Shandon, Cat, Moochie or Steve.

3) If he has or is responsible for a bad season, we are back in the lottery (and many felt we might be out of the playoffs anyway).

4) With a good season and good vibes, he may decide to stay. There are players who want to win and sacrifice some $ to do so.

5) With a good season, the Rocks do well and showcase the team for C-Webb. I got a hunch the Rocks with Mo will hammer the Kings.

6) If there is ANY coach in the NBA who can get more miles from Mo, it is Rudy T.

I have been on record in other threads that Antonio Davis is THE man for the Rocks, but if we can't get him....

Parting comment - for those who want to wait for CWebb, he averaged 20.6 shots/game to Mo's 15.9.

Who was that guy that said the Rockets weren't doing ANYTHING?

------------------
    GATER

12. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Winning cures everything. You don't hear teammates telling each other to put more effort, during a 10 game win streak. He's been a lifelong Clipper. He's eaten a large piece of humble pie this offseason, and based on his comments, he is starting to come down to the earth. How many people have the nerve to put DAVID FALK on an ultimatum? Who's to say he won't continue playing hard? I can't think of any cases that pop out of a player who was a chronic case of laziness, who then played hard for a season, then on the same team, went back to their old ways. Guys like Kemp, he went on his weight gaining experience after going to Cleveland.

Most of us are happy with Cuttino's contract, starting at 4.5 million. Well, I personally see a comparison of sorts between Cuttino and Taylor (throw out the SG vs. PF). Both are offensive minded players with little defense. Cuttino is not the most noted passer in the world, and Taylor's board work is wretched for a PF.

Is a 23 year old 16-7 player really NOT worth a 1 year, 2.25 mill commitment?

------------------
    Shandon is underrated.

13. aelliott

I find it interesting how many people seem to think that a player can learn to rebound. I can't recall a single player that played significant minutes in the league for 3 years and put up Taylor-like rebounding numbers and then later went on to become a double digit rebounder.

As far as the Barkley comparisions, those are ridiculous. Charles was a poor defender, but he was a 23pt/game scorer when we acquired him as well as being one of the best passing PF's and rebounders in history.

------------------

14. The Cat

I fail to see how he is an underachiever, as you stated.

Look at next year's free agent crop. Outside of Chris Webber, it is extremely weak. (Finley won't come) Name me one serious talent besides Webber/Finley. I would prefer to get someone this summer and not put all our eggs in one basket waiting for next year, where if we don't get Chris Webber pretty much all the money we saved would be for nothing. I think it would just be extremly foolish to pass up good PFs and players available now to wait on Chris Webber, who realistically is about a 10% chance at best to come to Houston. Also, a huge part of rebounding and defense is desire. Once Mo is away from the Clippers, and has a reason to play hard and prove himself, I think he can be a very good PF. With a guy of Taylor's talent, he might be the PF that we need to build around, and for the 2.25M exception it's a risk I'm more than willing to take.

------------------

15. aelliott

I would prefer to get someone this summer and not put all our eggs in one basket waiting for next year, where if we don't get Chris Webber pretty much all the money we saved would be for nothing

Even if we don't outright sign a free agent, it's still very valuable to be under the cap. Then the 15% salary matching rule doesn't apply and we can make trades that otherwise wouldn't be allowed (much like the current exception). Being under the cap is what allowed the Clippers to get Maggette, Dooling and Strong for a future first round pick.It also makes us very attractive as a 3rd party to help broker other teams trades.

------------------

16. stringthing

stringthing Member

The talent I was speaking of lies in the draft, not the FA class (besides Webber). You mention that Mo is an overachiever, because he was drafted ONLY 14th! Othella went in the 2nd and put up similar numbers (less ppg, same in rebounds, higher shooting percentage and a superior work ethic). HE is an overachiever not Taylor, IMHO. It's all good though, if the Rockets sign him I am sure Rudy saw something in him and I will have to trust that.

------------------

17. The Cat

Yes, a scenario like the Clippers' trade is possible, but so is a scenario like the Bulls'. I'm just saying that I don't think it would be worth passing up a talented PF or player to hold out for next year, where nothing is guaranteed. I would hate to get burned like Chicago was, and don't want to take the risk of passing up a good PF if the Rockets have the opportunity.

------------------

18. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Mo's offense would be helpful but Kenny is my choice. KT is a better defender and rebounder than Mo. Kenny also started less games played less minutes and was a rookie.

KT
    8.3 pts 6.1 reb 1.6 ast 29 gs
    Mo
    17.1 pts 6.5 reb 1.6 ast 60 gs

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

19. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Anyone recall what happened to Rodney Rogers career when he left the Clips?

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I think Rudy T would get the best out of
    Mo Taylor if he came here. Who knows he might
    grab us 8or 9 boards next year. The guy has skills and if the Rockets can get him I say grab him as fast as you can. Plus our chances
    are proably slim in getting Webber so we get
    the next best thing. Sign Mo to the 2.5mil
    if he has a great year for us then sign him to the max. Mo can easily gives us 19ppg next year Francis will get 20+ Mobley about 18. So thats a nice little scoring trio. Maybe enough to have you playing when the
    reg. season is over [​IMG]