1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maurice Taylor to Rockets??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 8, 2000.

1. RENDIGGLER3:20

Maybe he had no love for the game because he had no love for his team.I think he will try to show he is worth the $$$$$ and could help us get to the playoffs

------------------

2. Kid Rock-et

Kid Rock-et Member

All of you talk about this guy like he is some kind of scrub. I have watched Mo closely and was amazed at how consistently he scored, with a variety of lost post moves that rival Hakeems. He would be a threat, equal or better than a Duncan or Wallace with the right people around him. Of course he played with little emotion and fire while he was with the clippers, it's no fun to lose. Rudy has always been able to get good things out of people, I think this is the guy we need to rebuild around in the frontcourt. Who cares if he can't rebound, which I think he can, were we not among the last in the league in rebounding when we won those championships?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kid Rock-et (edited August 09, 2000).]

3. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

I think Taylor would be a good pickup, especially at 2.25 this year. We need more post scoring to offset some bad shooting nights. Plus, we would have a more well-rounded team offensively. Ya, I know Taylor hasn't put up great rebounding numbers but like T-Man said a change of scenery sometimes is all a player needs. Jalen Rose is a great example along with Rodney Rogers of players that played better with their new team. Besides our guards are also good rebounders for guard so we wouldn't need Taylor to grab every rebound. We just need someone bigger than Kenny to start at PF.

------------------

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I pick him up in a heartbeat. He will play hard for a fat contract.

But, nobody's low post moves rival Hakeems, Kid Rocket. And if he was in Duncan's league, he would've already signed a fat contract.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

5. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I don't see why everyone is so down on this guy. I know he hasn't lived up to his potential, but damn man he was a Clipper. [​IMG] In my opinion he is exactly what the Rockets need on O right now, a back to the basket post player. Signing him for the exeption is a freakin steal, jump on it CD. [​IMG]

------------------
    "And On The 8th day god Created Basketball, And on the 9th He Created The Dream To Play It"

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The rockets are one of the better rebounding teams in the NBA. They do need big people to box out on the defensive end. You don't have to be a good rebounder to box out. It is easier to teach someone to box out than it is to score down low.

His defensive strategy is to hold the opposing PF to less pts than he scores. He usually does when I've seen him. The I can score more than you defense is better than the I'll hold you 10 pts and score none offense of the Worm.

And finally, he's better than what the rocs have.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Things that would be cool about this one year deal:

for Maurice:

1.) He'll be one of the top 4 FAs next year (largely dependent on his rebounding this year) with only Webber, Shandon Anderson, Finley and Mt. Mutombo the only other FAs in a land of money (5 potential teams w/ tons of cap space).

2.) He'll be showing his skills to one of the 5 teams that would be able to sign him... to the MAX next year. The Rockets options next year are either the Mt., Webber or Maurice (and keeping Shandon). I would think that if he can get his rebounding average up to 8.5 (not too hard since Cato won't be rebounding [​IMG]) then a 20p/8.5r/2a line will get him big money next year.

3.) The Rockets don't watch video [​IMG], so they already think that his 31 point game was a sign of superstardom. With Francis and Mobley, Mo will have the opportunity to score at will.

for the Rockets:

1.) He doesn't interfere with cap space for the experimental year.

2.) The Rockets need a PF in the worst way.

3.) They will have a history w/ him if his rebounding average warrants taking up next year's cap space.

Do it.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

9. RENDIGGLER3:20

NO sorry my dumb ass dad played a pretty bad joke. IM sorry

IVE learned my lesson. only right what i hear even if it was my dad.

OH SORRY AGAIN!!!

------------------

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I hope we sign him too. While I dont believe he rivals Hakeem or is as good as Duncan, he is still better then what the Rocks have now. I mean there is no negative in signing him for the exception. If he plays good (and I think he will because of money available next year) then we can sign him next year. If he sucks, then we aint got to worry about him next year. Plus I think we will obviously have a better chance of making the playoffs. A roster of
    Hakeem, Cato
    Maurice, Kenny
    Langhi, Walt
    Shandon, Mobes
    Francis& Moochie
    is pretty damn good.
    Bring him on CD

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

11. Gascon

Gascon Member

Mo Taylor would be a Godsend. He's got major skills that have been languishing on the dark side of LA. In a Rockets uniform, you won't even recognize him. Sign him.... do it now.

------------------
    "I'll take a Dream Shake for two, please."

12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

will he look like tyra banks?

------------------
    We will ball.

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I think it could work simply because if he signs a one year deal, then he will be playing for a long term contract the next year (and he also knows the Rockets will have some money).
    I think Mo is better offensively than Cato or KT and although he isn't as good as shotblocker as Cato, I think he may actually help our rebounding. Cato & KT were 2 very weak rebounders, and I think Mo knows he needs to rebound to get the big $$$.

It wouldn't surprise me that if money is no concern that he doesn't look at the Lakers (even though they are expected to sign Gill for their exception), or maybe even Potland if Grant and posibly Jermaine get traded.

------------------

14. Sane

Sane Member

There's no doubt we don't do this.....we need defense and rebounding worse than scoring....if u didn't realize, we were one of the higher scoring teams in the leagues last year...we really aren't in need of offense....plus, there aren't enough shots to go around....francis, hakeem, cuttino, and walt all take a reasonable amount of the shots....the majority actually....i hope he's doing this to get more money out of toronto, cause then we can make a move for antonio davis.....Davis fits our needs perfectly.....Defense wins championships....and we can use all the "D" we can get......and i really DO think he's doing it for more money.......

------------------

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Mr. Taylor has surprised me some. After underachieving at Michigan, and strangely declaring himself eligible for the 1997 draft as a junior, Mo has improved his game each and every year. Improving considerably in his second year. In his sophmore season he became one of the top 5 2nd year players in the NBA. He is a tough young forward who shoots a decent percentage. And it was those type of characteristics that made him a player the Clippers could build around. The Clippers I said.

Our Rockets won't build around him, but should he come to Houston he'd become a potent weapon for a position we cannot fill. He's a perfect fit. One year or not, it won't detract from the team's progress, because it will prepare Francis for many situations. Taylor's arrival will teach Stevie how to run a post up offense when needed. Such as in the 4th quarter when quickness is less effective. Rodgers, Miller, and Cato combined won't give Francis the knowledge that Mo should be able to provide. He's a true postup threat. His presence down low should open up the court for our quick backcourt.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

16. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

17. Thanos

Thanos Member

Unless you look at players whose living is made off rebounding and are experts at it, like say, Rodman, Feick, J. Williams and to some extent, Barkley, Webber, Duncan and Grant, though they score too, rebounding is DESIRE.

I'm willing to bet that Rudy could get Mo to rebound with the best of them.

And what the HELL do we have to lose by signing him with the exception?

If he doesn't deliver we sign and trade his butt outta here next season.

------------------
    "Never underestimate the heart of a champion"

18. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I just checked Mo's stats and he is a horrible rebounder!!! He only had 400 rebounds in 2227 minutes last year (compare that to Thomas who had 437 in 1797 or Cato with 389 in 1581).
    I know rebounding is heart, but I think it is usually something a person is born with, not really acquires.
    I now don't think Mo is such a good fit, but I still believe he would be a bargain at the mid-level exception.
    Taylor may not be the answer but he could still be a bargain.

------------------

19. stringthing

stringthing Member

Geez, just what the rocs need, another "soft" big man. Taylor is not the answer, more of a quick, temporary band-aid. This guy cringes at the thought of contact or actually attacking the boards. Plus, he is going to be looking to get crazy money that he is not worth after this season. I would pass on this dud...

------------------

20. #1rocketsfan

#1rocketsfan Contributing Member

Who do yall think that we will waive if we do sign Mo?

------------------