1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maurice Taylor to Rockets??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 8, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/629244

Rockets join the hunt for Taylor

Free-agent forward might elect to take one-year cap exception

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2000 Houston Chronicle
    The Rockets' rebuilding has taken an unexpected turn, with the team jumping into the middle of the suddenly wide-open pursuit of Clippers forward Maurice Taylor.

Rockets officials met with Taylor on Monday, sources said Tuesday, and parted with one of the top unsigned free agents considering coming to Houston.

Taylor reportedly turned down a three-year, $17.5 million offer from the Raptors on Monday, dramatically opening the race to land the 6-9, 260-pound forward.

The Raptors, with far more cap money to offer than other suitors, seemed to have beaten the Pacers to land Taylor. The Knicks and Bulls had shown interest early, and Taylor had expressed his intention to sign with the Magic.

But in meeting with the Rockets on Monday and scheduling a meeting with the SuperSonics on Thursday, Taylor has, according to sources, expressed a willingness to sign for the $2.25 million salary-cap exception.

Taylor's agent, David Falk, in disputing a report in the Toronto Sun on Tuesday that he had scotched an agreement with the Raptors to secure a more lucrative offer from the team, said Taylor could accept the exception.

"Mo's going to take less money and take the one-year exception," Falk said.

But other free agents have said they would sign for the exception as a ploy to force the team they were leaving to engineer a sign-and-trade deal. But there seemed to be little movement in that direction from the Clippers.

Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor was unavailable Tuesday. Rockets officials would not comment.

Taylor, 23, has averaged 14.8 points and 5.2 rebounds in his three seasons out of Michigan.

He averaged 17.1 points and 6.5 rebounds last season, making 46.4 percent of his shots and 71.1 percent of his free throws. But he played the entire season as a lame duck, proclaiming his intention to leave the Clippers after the season.

Taylor would give the Rockets an inside, back-to-the-basket presence, but he has been criticized for not being more productive as a rebounder.

The 14th player selected in the 1997 draft, Taylor had perhaps his finest and worst moments against the Rockets last season.

He scored a career-high 31 points in a 122-100 loss at Compaq Center in December.

But in the worst shooting game an opposing team ever had against the Rockets, Taylor made four of 17 shots, scoring 12 points in a 96-77 loss in March. In a game with 127 missed shots, Taylor grabbed only three rebounds and left the Staples Center court cursing fans who were booing him throughout most of the game.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Quarterfinals)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000978.html

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 08, 2000).]

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Oh no. Houston, we have a problem [​IMG]

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
    ---George Carlin

3. MManal

MManal Member

Well Im less than impressed. Looks like the people that are against Cato-Fizer got their wish. The Rockets would address their need for a back to the basket scorer, but they would not get the toughness, defense or rebounding this team needs in a deal like this. Im not a big backer of Mo Taylor, but I guess the Rockets brass sees something in him I dont. I suppose if its just for the 2.5 mil exception, the Rockets dont have much to lose. They still need to address the rebounding issues and look for more defense b/c Mo is not going to provide that.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. Miggidy Markell

Bo Outlaw was our man.......if we could have got him we would have had a good defender, rebounding, toughness and another ball handler. But I suppose is Mo improves on his rebounding I'm willing to take him. I'll take anything so we don't have to start Kenny Thomas!

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

[This message has been edited by Miggidy Markell (edited August 08, 2000).]

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Only two small "r"s and no "D" in "Maurcie Taylor".

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited August 08, 2000).]

6. Colby

Colby Member

If the Rocks could land Taylor for the exception, what a deal. Does anyone have anything better?

The scoring would help and, heh, its only for a year.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I with colby on this one, for a one year exception i would take Taylor, and he will work his butt off to have a shot at our cap room for the following year.

Smeg

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

8. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

If he signs for the exception, is that only a one year deal? If we signed him to a contract for more than one year, it might actually work out better for us. I think everyone is in agreement that the rockets need a tough rebounding PF. The Rockets really need minimal scoring from the PF position. If he were able to come here for a year, keep his mouth shut, and score some points, his value may go up and the Rockets would be able to trade him to a team that needs a scorer for a rebounder since it doesn't seem that the player we need is out there at this point.

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

It would be for 1 year, then he is a free agent again.

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
    ---George Carlin

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hope this isn't the same-old jerk-around I'll-take-the-exception-Oh!-you-will-give-me-the-sh**l**d-of-money-I-asked-for-in-the-first-place?" kind of situation we see with other free agents. If we can get him, fine, but we need to pare down this roster---all these players with no permanent or defined roles.
    If we get him and he works out, great. I'm a little leery of signing one of David Falkhead's boys. He'll demand the maximum, then bolt for another team when we say "but you're not worth the max." Sorry about the pessimism. Mo is instant O. But Falk is meddlesome.
    Well, we did make something good out of Othella. Maybe we can do the same with Mo.

------------------

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I would love to have Taylor for the exception. We really need an offensive minded post man, and Maurice can certainly do that. Yes, he has had problems with defense and rebounding, but he has increased his rebounding average each year, so he is getting better. And really, who would be motivated to rebound on the Clippers? A big part of rebounding and defending is desire, and it's something few people would have on the Clippers. A playoff-contending team with a great organization and coaching staff could really help him. If it turns out he can rebound and defend, we can resign him next summer. If he can't, then we can simply let him go and know we only used the 2.25M exception on him and still have cap room next year. I like the idea.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Quarterfinals)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000978.html

12. comets979899

comets979899 Member

i agree that his only usefullness would be for trade bait next season. i'd even trade him for a couple of draft picks for 2001.

------------------
    i need a cool signature...can i steal yours?!?!

13. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Maybe a mid-year trade then. I don't mind having the guy on the team, I just think the main points of concern for the Rockets are defense and rebounding. We know his stance on rebounding (127 missed shots and 3 rebounds!? That is sickening). How is he defensively? I don't expect him to be very good.

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

[This message has been edited by Dogbelly (edited August 08, 2000).]

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The reason to take a player for one year is to win a championship. We are not contending for a championship. We are rebuilding. We need guys who will be here long enough to get used to each other and develop as a team. In basketball, as in real estate, it's not wise to rebuild around something that's about to move.

15. #1rocketsfan

#1rocketsfan Contributing Member

What do we have to loose. It's not exactly like there are any other players worth signing. Mo just acted like a pansy in LA because he knew that he could. He knows that this isn't his team and that he would have to play hard. We will for sure do better with him and make the playoffs. That would attract a top FA.

------------------

16. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Mo Taylor might be the difference between the Lottery and a decent playoff spot, in my opinion. He's a strong player who has been going through steady development in the past three seasons. Sure, he's not the best rebounder around but he's been trying.

Why should we get him for just one season?

Let's do it for Hakeem. Get Mo for one last playoff run. Just like the old days.
    Screw this rebuilding crap for just one more season.
    The new era begins when Olajuwon leaves.

Anyway, I bet he'll like it so much he'll sign for more at the season's end. Otherwise, let's just get Webber [​IMG]

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Hey you never know, maybe a different scenery will help his game. Sometimes if you're playing for a team that as bad as the Clips you tend to learn how to lose instead of learning how to win.

Look at Jalen Rose, the move to Indiana really helped him and his game. Look at Carlos and Walt the change really helped them also (Although it wasn't a big one). It gave them something that they were missing confidence. So you never know, plus if it's just for 1 year; we can do a lease with the option to Own.

------------------
    Soon to be a Member of CCC. inc Pledgee T_Man

18. virgin suicide

its better than nothing.
    plus we'll get a little more hype.

------------------
    "Win the game, baby!"
    -Rudy T in the fourth
    quarter of game 4 of
    the 1995 NBA Finals

19. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Defense and rebounding can be taught to a young man who has a love for the game. Mo Taylor is young, and he is a great athlete. If we can get him for the exception, and Rudy T can light a fire under his butt, this could be the steal of the free agent year.

If Mo cannot be motivated, then we can sign and trade him next year. Either way, the Rockets win. I hope we get him.

------------------
    -The expert has spoken, so shut up and try to comprehend the truth.

20. TraJ

TraJ Member

I wouldn't mind having Taylor for the exception. But is anyone else scarred of the "Sign this one year deal and we'll have money next offseason" scenario? How many guys can we possibly do that with and not end up hanging ourselves, if indeed that is what's going on? That may not be the deal, but it makes me a little nervous to even think about it.

------------------