1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maurice Taylor to Rockets??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 8, 2000.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ya know, if we managed to pick up our stud PF, Mo would be PERFECT off the bench. He's a perfect guy for a big man bench scorer.

A lineup of
    Cato/Collier
    Stud PF/Taylor
    Improved SF/Langhi (could be T. Morris via draft)
    Anderson/Mobley
    Francis/Moochie

is not bad at all, IMO. CD and Rudy probably had a nice talk with Mo on things like defense and rebounding, and if he wants long term security now, or try to hit the jackpot later, etc. etc. We'll probably find out in the next few days, I believe Mo gave Falk 4 days (that started yesterday, maybe the day before) to get things figured out, or he'd sign in Toronto.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

2. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

How do you all think he will affect team chemistry?

------------------
    One minute ago you had 60 seconds longer to live then you have now. Did you enjoy the 60 seconds you just had? :)

3. AxSomebody

AxSomebody Contributing Member

I'd rather gain a Mo Taylor for nothing but the 2.25 mil rather than lose Cato for Fizer.
    A possible scenario (correct me if I'm wrong) that would likely net us Mo would be a sign and trade involving him and Bryce Drew using our 4.5 mil exception. Would the Clips go for that? I dunno....

------------------

4. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Nike- Chris Webber= Stud PF [​IMG]
    Anyways, as for team chemistry, he will be perfect. He'll give us a decent PF and a big body inside that can guard Malone and Duncun(scratch that, no one can guard duncun). I think he'll be a great pick up, but id still prefer it if we got Webber next season. Then again, beggars can't be choosers.

------------------
    "There are two rules for success... 1) Never tell everything you know."

5. Gideon

Gideon Member

First of all, for all the comments of "He'll play his butt off for a big time contract next year"...what was he doing last year then. He should have been playing his butt off for big time money then since he was a free agent this summer. You can't expect him to play hard for money because he didn't show that last year when he had the chance to impress.

BUT

With that being said, I do like the guy and think that he definitely has skills that will help the Rockets. Which power forward of ours had a much higher figure in the rebounding last year? Kenny did well, but I doubt he had too much of a higher average. I would even say that maybe we should offer the clippers our 4.5 mill. exception and maybe Kenny or Los or Drew or whoever and see if we can get a good sign and trade going. He is a scoring PF which we really need. Nobody gave our PF's any attention on defense last year because they weren't really threats. And while KT capitalized on that some, more often than not he didn't.

PULL THE TRIGGER ON THIS ONE. [​IMG]

------------------
    He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

6. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

Nike,
    Mo would never come here if he doesn't start. Plus Mo is likely to grant a max, now then if you are a owner would you like to have a player earing $9M coming off the bench, also having to luxury tax as well(that line-up will go way above the cap).
    But you always think positive, and that's what the fan is all about.

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

7. AxSomebody

For all of you guys who are giving Mo a hard time for his defense (or lack of it) you guys might want to remember that our last major PF was not exactly a big defensive presence either.
    I think that with his size and the way we play, Maurice Taylor can improve his rebounding and be a nice post threat.
    Like with our previous PF (his name rhymes with Barkley!) I think his best defense is his offense!

------------------

8. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

We still got $4.5M left to get hard nosed PF, what are we waiting for. Hey wait we can also diss Drew, los and Kenny, for a decent SF,

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

9. stringthing

stringthing Member

I hope you are not compring Taylor to Barkley...Chuck was one of the best rebounders I have ever seen for a man of his height. Totaly dominating under the boards, able to move his man off the block and back down guys twice his size. Taylor is soft, does not come to play on a consistent basis, and is looking for big money. This guy underacheived in college and continues at the pro level. Notice a pattern emerging?

------------------

[This message has been edited by stringthing (edited August 09, 2000).]

10. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

JJANG-Mo would start the first year. It'd also work out to get a future stud PF (suppose a guy like Kwame Brown came out) and bring that person off the bench behind Taylor, "grooming" him to be good in the future. Also under my hypothetical situation where we get a team option on year 2, Mo would have around a 2.5 mill contract. [​IMG]

------------------
    Shandon is underrated.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Do some reserach on players who were the 14th pick in the NBA draft. The results won't be good. I fail to see how a player can be drafted 14th overall in the draft, average 17 points and 6.5 rebounds, and be considered an underachiever. If anything, that's an overacheiver.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Quarterfinals)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000978.html

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I personally can not see Falk letting Taylor sign for the mid-level exception. He talked such a big game earlier, saying he would sign for the max and used that against the Clips. Besides, can you sign a player to the mid-level exeption for one season -- (aelliott? davo? heypartner? NIKEstrad? Larry? CD? Rudy? anyone?) ? I think if the Rockets were to get him it would probably be in some sort of sign and trade.

Derek Anderson ripped Elgin Baylor for not facilitating a sign-and-trade deal and Anderson's comments against the Clippers, while bad, were nothing compared to Taylor's. I can't see this working... I think Taylor eventually goes to the Raptors for the most he can get.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I certainly think Mo Taylor is good and would be an upgrade to our team undoubtedly. At the 17 ppg and the 6.5 rpg, he is a much better player, and even a better rebounder than Kenny Thomas. Plus, if he were to sign at the exception that would be one heck of a bargain. So for one year, I am down with that plan.

However, I also see how it would be dumb to possibly ruin chemistry just to have a guy for one year, especially if it results in barely making the playoffs, getting knocked out and having a worse draft pick. Plus, I REALLY dont think Taylor will sign for the exception. While next years FA crop is thinner, you never know what can happen, and Taylor has already seen his stock drop significantly over one season. I have even heard that Taylor may just take that Raptors offer if Faulk cant find him a better deal by Friday. Also, apparently the Miami/Brian Grant deal is pretty much done and should definitely be happening. The way I see it, Miami is now definitely (especially with Eddie Jones) out of the FA hunt for next year. That is one less team for us to deal with and the better our chances of possibly getting Webber are. So Ive heard we offer teh trade exception to the Clippers to get Taylor in a deal similar to the Raptors one, but I dont want to be taken out of the FA market next year.

So, the only thing I would really be comfortable with would be doing a sign and trade with the Clippers but also getting someone like Magguette (which wont happen as he cant be traded again for a bit, if Im correct) to go along with Mo. Or, at the very least, to possibly unload Walts contract (which also wont happen as the CLippers already have a logjam at the 3 position-Walt type players) so our cap position for next year wouldnt change that much.

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

14. AxSomebody

stringthing,
    I'm not comparing Mo Taylor to Barkley in the sense that you think I am. I'm saying that he's a star-caliber player and that we are jumping the gun by saying that he's not a good pickup because of his lack of defense.
    Barkley is the perfect example, because his defense was notoriously bad but I considered him an awesome pickup because of his incredible scoring and rebounding. We all know that Taylor can score and my post before was optimistic that he could be a good rebounder too.
    To clarify: Barkley = all-star hall of famer
    Taylor = possible star in the making

------------------

15. AxSomebody

The Cat: Thanks for backing me up
    Clutch: Do you see us using the 4.5 mil trade exception to increase our chances of acquiring Taylor?

------------------

16. AxSomebody

Clutch: my bad...you addressed that already [​IMG]

------------------

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Here's BSKball's take on it:

08/09-HOUSTON AND THE T- Mo T that is, Maurice Taylor was in Houston yesterday to get a feel for the team, and what they may be able to offer. If memory serves correctly, the Rockets still hold a trade exception, which could be used in a sign and trade deal to land Maurice in Houston for more money than the Raptors reportedly offered (3 years/$17 million). Rumor has it that Taylor agreed to a contract in principal with the Raptors, but later pulled away from the deal after his agent (David Falk) became aware he'd committed, Falk is said to have a few new deals in the works that could make Taylor more money or put him in a key role on a team with a proven system and with built in stars. Taylor is also scheduled to see the Seattle Sonics this week. The Sonics would love to add Taylor to their core, but like many teams are restricted by the salary cap, and the most they can offer is the $2.25. Taylor has indicated to friends that he is kind of embarrassed to be unsigned, and is pushing for a deal to be done. The Raptors have turned their attention to Brad Miller, after the Taylor debacle. The Chicago Bulls may have already received a commitment from Miller, with sources near the Bulls saying he has agreed in principal to a 4 year deal worth roughly $21 million. The deal in Toronto is not dead, but it clearly is not done or even close to done. David Falk is selling Maurice the idea that if he signs for a one year deal with a team on the rise, he could get that max deal next year when the free agent pool is much thinner.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Quarterfinals)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000978.html

18. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Of course you can sign it for just one season. If Brian Grant was to sign with Miami, it'd be for one year, with a promise for more the next year.
    http://www.members.home.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#16 (see the table for it.)

I just hope that The Rockets don't guarantee Mo a big contract after the year is out to get him to sign here now...

------------------
    Shandon is underrated.

19. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Mo Taylor is better than any power forward we have. I would love to have him here playing with the rockets. He has a good offensive game but his rebounding needs a damn hell of a work. He can work on that easily, but if houston can grab mo taylor for a cheap price then go ahead.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

20. AxSomebody

Boy...the front office of Toronto is really a bunch of ***holes.....
    First they leak the Stoudamire trade and screw our team, then they facilitate a Kevin Willis for Roy Rogers trade that gets us Scottie Quitten (ok...that wasn't deliberate, but still...), then they try to get Hakeem from us, then they try to steal Mobley from us, and now they're competing with us for Mo Taylor?!?
    Oh well...it's a business I guess

------------------