1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maurice Taylor to Rockets??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 8, 2000.

1. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'd love for the rockets to get Taylor. I think he has enough talent to possibly be one of the top 10 power forwards in the league one day.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

2. alaskansnowman

Mo Taylor definately has got some game, and if we could sign him for the 2.25 mil exception, it'd be reallll tite.

Those of you who think that MO will come off the bench, and Chris Webber will start are being greedy/delusional. That would be a deeper rotation than Portland has. And have you all forgotten about Kenny Thomas? Everyone seems to agree that he shouldnt start, but would be perfect coming off the bench. Thomas MAY not be starting material, but he is definately capable of playing the 6th or 7th man to come in with Mobley and score.

I think that Mo Taylor could very well be our ANSWER to the power forward position. And who's to say a new environment and Rudy T. can't change this guy around so he'll finally rebound. Taylor is a SCORING MACHINE... most teams have to worry about our potent backcourt, but they dont have to worry about our frontcourt as much. With Taylor, not to mention an improved Cato, then our frontcourt would definately be something to worry about. No one could stop both our backcourt AND frontcourt.

The only reservation about MO Taylor I have is this whole thing about him gettin the max next year. And it would suck if he just left after next season also. If you think about it, this upcoming season would be a waste if Taylor leaves. With Taylor, we'll have to adapt to accomodate a low post threat, but if he leaves, then we have to revert back to our old offense. It'd just be a setback of a season if he leaves.

I'll give him the max depending on wat kinda season he has. And also, we HAVE to resign Shandy next year too...

------------------
    president of the dan langhi fan club.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

go Mo'!!!! What do we got to lose. Unfortunately, it's not our decision. It is Mo's. I hope Rudy and Carrol took him to all the nice clubs in town and bought him a ton of lap dances. Oh yeah, and showed him our facilities too.

------------------

4. TB3

TB3 Member

Mo is only 23!!! He is just a kid, and he has alot of basketball left to learn. He is a super athlete that can create his own shot, and he can learn to play D and rebound. If Stevie and the guys like Mo as a person, then bringing Mo onboard makes perfect sense to me. If Mo can relax, and enjoy playing basketball, he can play at an all-star level, imo.

I say work a sign and trade deal for Mo, and then position ourselves to try and get the best big man we can in the draft next year. Most of the Rockets would then be under 25, and with Francis the superstar leading the way, Houston could compete for the title in 3 to 4 years.

------------------
    “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.” (Al Gore, CNN’s “Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer,” 3/9/99)

www.algore-2000.org

5. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Clutch
    I really don't think that we would get Mo taylor in a sign and trade. the clippers were practically just gift wrapped jermaine oneal and/or damon stoudamire and all they had to do was resign Derek Anderson and trade him to portland. and they declined... that and anderson was more leaning to SA. the point is nobody ever wants to do sign and trades w/ the clippers because they r so frustrated w/ them. i think mo taylor said he will leave and not agree to a sign and trade anyways. who knows maybe he will do it, but i have doubts that the clippers will do a sign n trade because of their history of losing FAs for nothing.

------------------
    --TEX

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hmmm,

I wonder who made the call on Mo thinking about signing a mid level exception?

[​IMG]

I will state it here too. I think the Rocks have nothing to lose getting a talented player who has something to PROVE to the league.

DaDakota

PS. Didn't I already start this thread? Where are the serious police when you need them?

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/007813.html

[This message has been edited by DaDakota (edited August 09, 2000).]

7. stringthing

stringthing Member

You fail to see what Cat? That Taylor is soft? You have not watched the guy play then. He is consistently abused on the defensive end of the floor and plays far too small for his size. Never mind the fact that this guy is going to be WAY overpaid for his services after this season. Why even bother with him? Is he the answer? Does this get us in the 7 or 8 spot so we get creamed in the first round and screw up our draft position for next year when there will be some serious talent available? Is this a case of signing someone so the Rocket appear "active" for the upcoming arena issue, or do you really consider this guy a PF you can build around?

------------------

[This message has been edited by stringthing (edited August 09, 2000).]

8. BigDog

BigDog Member

Clutch,isn't this funny. A couple of months ago I broke this story right here saying Mo was coming to town "to look around". Some people wrote me off as being a big bullsh!$$er. Nevertheless, It's good to see Mo back in town for a second time. I think he can definitely be somewhat of the presence inside the Rockets need. He'll definitely suprise some of the doubters. Hopefully we can snag C-Webb next summer. Peace out, I'm in Africa.

------------------

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Othella is what is known as a good pick. Taylor at 14 was definitely a steal in the draft.

DoD-Don't you have some stats thing? Is it possible to display a before and after effect of former Clippers, and how they fare once they leave?

Or maybe Smeg of Statistics could take a nice sample?

I have found a positive sign on Taylor's board work. Over the last 2 months (13 games), Taylor averaged 7.38 boards. Or, if you throw out the month of February (14 games), he averaged 6.85 boards the rest of the season. Just trying to put a positive spin on it. [​IMG]

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Anyone recall what happened to Rodney Rogers career when he left the Clips?

He came off the bench for a better team? Other than that what happened? His numbers didn't change, he just got more press because he was on a better team.

Let's look at Rogers Phoenix numbers vs. '97-98 (the last year in LA that he played more than 50 games).

'97-98:
    15.1 pts,5.6 reb, .456 fg%, .340 3pt %, 1.22 spg,.5 blks, 2.7 ast/g

'99-2000
    13.8 pts, 5.5 reb, .480 fg%, .439 3pt%, 1.15 spg, .57 blks, 2.1 ast/g

What's the big difference there other than he had a great year shooting the 3? He was actually better in scoring, rebounding, steals and assists in '97-98.

------------------

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rogers took a LARGE amount of shots less between the Clipper year and Phoenix. Look at the FG, and FT attempts. Also note he took more 3s this past year, than as a Clipper. BTW, anyone have any idea what he did to himself? I'd like to give it to KT, if it'll help his FG% go up 10%. (Sorry, just taking another knock at Thomas, carry on.)

Most Clippers numbers didn't change drastically, I guess it's all just a myth? Brent Barry did better when he left the Clippers though.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

12. SlamN

SlamN Member

Big Mo is a player. I would definitely take him for the $2.25 million even though its only a year. Big Mo just needs to get motivated to play some defense. And maybe the players around him and Rudy T will do just that. He's been playing on weak teams most of his career. Michigan was a joke with Ellerbe and so are the Clips (do they have a coach?). Anyway, he's a good fit. The only problem is dishing out the major bucks next year when he's a FA again.

------------------

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Aelliot,

I can't think of anyone that went from Mo to double digit rebounding, but a bunch of PFs have gone from Mo to 8.

Mo is better than anyone that the rockets have at the 4. I haven't seen the porous d everyone else has seen. I've seen average defense that could be better.

He should be a better rebounder. I would be happy with 8 a game from him.

I wonder if Portland complains about Wallace's weak rebounding?

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think Taylor just *knew* all last season that he was going to get a big contract wherever he went.

Now, if we get him for the exception, which would be a huge steal no matter how you look at it, maybe he realizes that he's got to show that he's worth money, since most teams obviously didn't feel he was worth much this offseason.

Or he doesn't, averages 17ppg and 6.5rpg, and we let him go.

Either way, the Rockets are stupid if they don't snatch him up with the exception if it's possible.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

15. JackAstro

JackAstro Member

It's already been noted (quite a while back) that the Rockets were well above the league average for team scoring and rebounding last year. Where we mostly got killed by everyone was in ball handling and defense. When averaging out over 48 minutes played, Mo was 90th out of 102 PFs last year in the category of Blocks & Steals vs. Turnovers. He flat out sucked.

So, it's pretty clear that Mo is not the long term answer we need, but he's still a damn good forward. He's a lot better than anyone we have, and a bargain at the price. I don't think he'll go nuts this year because he's playing for a contract... he was playing for a contract LAST year. Nonetheless, he would improve our team this year, and maybe help show CWebb that this team has tremendous potential when we have a decent big man. I really don't expect Kenny Thomas to do that.

------------------

16. AxSomebody

AxSomebody Contributing Member

Joe Joe...
    GREAT point about Rasheed Wallace....
    People so often get bogged down by jumping on the bandwagon by critisizing Mo Taylor's rebounding when his numbers are actually not bad.
    I agree he needs to work on defense and ball-handling....but he'd still be an upgrade to the Kenny Thomas of last season. It's tough to tell if he's better until we see how KT performs this coming season....

------------------

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

People so often get bogged down by jumping on the bandwagon by critisizing Mo Taylor's rebounding when his numbers are actually not bad.

How does the fact that Rasheed Wallace doesn't rebound well make Mo Taylor's lack of rebounding rebounding ok?

------------------

18. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

I would really have to consider getting Mo on a 1yr contract. Definitly wouldn't pull a sign and trade for a 1yr contract.

Basically this guy thought he could get the max this year but everyone knows he's not worth it. He pouted in LA now he wants to get a 1yr contract and work his butt off for one season then cash in.

Not a great attitude. And even if he does work his but off and have a good year, which Mo will show up the following year, the one that spent most of his career whinning or the one that busted his butt for one season?

I'm not saying I wouldn't be interesting but I think there are some questions to be answered.

------------------

19. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

aelliot:

B/c most people consider Rasheed Wallace a good player. If you would sign Wallace to an excessive salary, then so the argument goes that Mo Taylor is also deserving.

Is this fair? On stats alone--- Wallace is a better shooter, though he has a more competent team (he still gets doubled/tripled). He's a better blocker and steals/assists are a wash (Mo played 20 games less than Wallace).

Those comparisons though are ridiculous. It's only fair to compare Mo to the players that the Rockets have. He's much better than Kenny... and the 2.5 isn't a bad money investment. If I could shoot 47% and pull down 6 or 7 boards on the Clippers than I would definitely be worth more than 2.5 M.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

20. Thanos

Thanos Member

Haven´t ou guys realized that taylor may yet prove to be the * PERFECT * bargaining chip for a sign and trade that would land us a Chris Webber that wants out of Sacramento next year?

It would be the perfect trade for them.

------------------
    "Never underestimate the heart of a champion"