1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unity party ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by snowconeman22, Jul 17, 2020.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Anyone else heard about this idea ?

it’s and idea proposed by a Weinstein brother who went on Joe Rogan. The idea being that the country is ****ed , Trump is no bueno , biden is no bueno ... so what choice do the American people have ?

The idea in its simplest form is that we draft our own ticket . A president and VP and they agree to switch places every election until they are no longer eligible (or lose)

The names he floated are Yang (my boi) and some navy admiral named McRaven.

could such a ticket win ? Are we really happy picking between biden and trump ?

the main rationale against it is that it could play a spoiler role ... but Weinstein says that it’s implicit in the agreement that if they cannot win they will drop out . Yang has already proven he’s willing to do this by dropping out ... now if he gets back in ...

Well anyways , I’m not sure the idea is even about winning . If you got enough people that LOOKED like they would actually vote for this it would definitely place some pressure on the other 2 parties.

personally , I’m all for the plan . But I’m a wildcard . I might have written in Yang anyways .

ryan_98 and RayRay10 like this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When Biden was running in the primary some folks said he wouldn't be an exciting candidate. We were told that he would be acceptable to everyone because he's so moderate.

CometsWin, Reeko, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah well the people pushing this are different people than the ones that came up with that line .

Also the primary was ending just as Covid was kicking into high gear for the first time . There were only 2 choices left by that point

I dont think Biden is " unacceptable " but he's as close to a F as youre gonna get without going over the top ( for me at least )

The greater point is that its not only democrats that have a problem with Biden , but increasingly Trump is not looking attractive to Republicans either. Now, mainstream democrats may not have a problem with Biden right now ( because he is "winning" ) but how do they feel about his leadership after the election or if the polls start changing ?

Any real enthusiasm for Biden seems to be based on who he will listen to or bring in ( might just be my perception of things ) IF you ask most democrats if they trust Biden to get us through corona and the economy what will they say ? probably something like " More than Trump "

Idk , maybe the cult of personality around trump is still strong and his supporters are still behind him . But there is so much dissatisfaction about how the country is going right now and where we are headed ... and it doesnt magically end if Biden wins and I think even Republicans will admit that trump IS inflammatory ( as part of a strategy or whatever )

Wattafan and RayRay10 like this.
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

No. Wouldn't work.

These guys literally ran in the Dems and lost or are not real contenders. Literary when they start putting out policy and opinions these guys are going to lose.
    Are they for free trade or opposed.
    Everyone thinks an unity candide supports all their policies, until they start speaking.

It would just split the Dem vote & get Trump elected. Trump has a solid base of 35% of the USA who are going to turn out for him and there isn't an effort to stop them from voting like the black & Latino population face.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Biden is fine, Republicans are garbage.

No Worries, Patience, Reeko and 5 others like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

fair enough , however i do think the focus on policies is misplaced. After all, no D voting for biden is gonna do so because they are excited about his policies .... its mostly about a hatred for trump and bringing back decency

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It’s an interesting idea for the future, but it is not helpful right now. At this time, three-and-a-half months before the election, we are a two-party country. Unless you would like four more years of Donald Trump’s America, hold your nose and vote for Joe Biden, regardless of whether you find him to be a great candidate or not. Otherwise, you are indirectly helping Trump by voting independent because there is zero chance anyone not named Biden or Trump wins the 2020 presidential election.

Also, yes, I infinitely trust a Biden Administration to get COVID-19 under control. For one thing, Biden is willing to humble himself and listen to his advisers and public health experts, and, second, he actually cares about the lives of Americans and has the requisite moral compass to serve as president. Donald Trump gets the lowest grade possible in each of those areas.

#8 DVauthrin, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    CometsWin, Patience, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Id agree . But i think the premise is that if in late october they dont have a shot then they drop out ( so as not to spoil ) now, you might say they dont have a shot now ( which is reasonable and probably correct ) ... it just seems like every election the two parties say " well its existential this time so cant vote 3rd party" eventally the dam has to break .

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Thanks for that “hot take”. LOL

Both of these guys are garbage! Our country can’t even put up a semi-decent candidate to run for President. It’s ridiculous.

Wattafan and ryan_98 like this.
  11. HROZ

HROZ Member

I mean they chose him due to his policies & personality.

Admittedly there were a few people on the right wing of the Dem party.
    Harris / Kloubacher / Buttgieg / Bloomberg
    This block I'd say are the
    (Pro free trade / anti Medicare for all. )

I think he won that block due to who he is.

He beat Bernie due to people supporting his policies over Bernie's.

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I completely agree with you that the American political system needs massive reform, and I hope there is a day soon when an independent candidate actually stands a chance of winning. This just isn’t the right election to try this out-of-the-box idea. Too much is at stake.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Both are. Not voting

ryan_98 likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I liked the idea. Heard it on the show.

Don't think it's ever happen.

snowconeman22 and RayRay10 like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yang will likely have a cabinet position with Biden. So.... I’ll just vote for Biden.

DVauthrin, ryan_98, Reeko and 4 others like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just shows Rogan is not acting in good faith if he’d promote this on his show. Everyone should be able to see pretty clearly this would be a plot to split Biden voters.

Biden is the “unity” party. He got the nomination because he united a ton of different factions across the party and across independents and non Trumper republican lites. He’s going to have an admin that allows for a coalition to have a say in rebuilding this country post Trump. Nobody worships him like a cult leader and that’s kind of a good thing for this country. At this point choosing a Biden coalition over another cult leader is exactly what is needed.

Rogan pushing this garbage attempt just shows he’s what we know he really is... another cynical white dude who doesn’t have the guts to openly support Trump but does things like this that passively support him in every other way.

No Worries, Xenon, CometsWin and 7 others like this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I've heard about it...it's what Kanye is running on with his Birthday Party.

Seriously, though, there's no point in even starting this if they aren't planning on seeing it through to the election. There's no chance that whoever the candidate would be would win. At most, if they're charismatic enough, they might...might...garner 15% of the vote, and probably help Trump more than Biden since Trump's base is solidly behind him (35-36% at least and probably another 5-10% that will vote for him).

This always comes up every election as the people that aren't thrilled with either candidate start dreaming of someone else. The problem with this type of thinking is that there's no way that a 3rd party would win in today's climate. Any 3rd party presidential candidate needs money...and lots of it...in order to pay their field officers, agents, staff, run commercials, run ads, etc. You have to convince people on a base level why they should vote for you and that means having people go speak to those people since you won't be able to talk to everyone.

But, it also means that you need other politicians to help. You need Senators and Representatives that also back you and that will be able to help push through your platform if you do get elected. Otherwise, why would the Democrats/Republicans in congress support you or your platform? So you need more money to help them win.

Which means you need people at the state level, governors, representatives, senators, attorney generals, railroad commissioners, etc as well because they'll help your brand and help push through your agenda at that level. Which means you need more money to campaign for those folks.

Which means you need people at the city, county, school district level, and more money for that.

That's the real issue with any 3rd party...in theory, it sounds great, but no one wants to do the grunt work of starting it up in a way that would be successful. Most likely that's due to the fact that politcial campaigns, especially non-sure things like this, would take a ton of money and while having a ton of risk of not paying out. Why put your money into an unsure thing, when there are two other choices that are much more likely to be successful? Now, convince multiple billionaires and millionaires to fund that.

Basically, any chance for something like this to work needs to start small...school districts, city council, mayor, sheriff, judge, etc and they need to have at least one wealthy person that's willing to start it. Once that gets some traction, then they can begin to spread...franchise out...and start working on other areas. Realize, this could take decades before it's really able to grab any kind of national attention.

But no one, including Mr. Weinstein, wants to do something like that. They just want to moan and complain when they don't have a candidate they like that's running and then float ideas like this. Afterwards, they go back to doing what they do and we continue to roll on with a 2 party system.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This almost seems like a plot to get voters to write in weird celebrities, etc. to pull Biden voters away and give Trump a better chance. Between Kanye, this, and the Tom Cruise thing, seems like this is becoming a bit of a planned thing at this point.

Patience, Reeko, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biden at this point is the unity candidate

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To follow up on this post for this post it is unrealistic to expect a third party to come in now with an actual shot at winning the election. As RayRay notes money is a huge factor and other than a billionaire along the lines of Bezos, Gates and Bloomberg a third party ticket couldn't raise the money in time. Even with all that money early voting is going to start in two months in several states and that might not be enough time to get on ballots in all states.

As someone who worked on third party campaigns in MN I can tell you first hand how difficult it is to have a shot at winning. It's not just partisan loyalty to the two parties but it is that the system is complicated and the parties are set up with the infrastructure to deal with that system. In Minnesota Jesse Ventura won but he also had the aide of people how had been long involved in Minnesota politics who had served both as elected representatives and previous Democrat and Republican administrations. Ventura was also smart enough to know that while his over the top personality and name recognition could bring in voters he couldn't govern. Instead he brought in people who for the most part weren't ideological but technocrats. That's just one state. For the US as a whole the closest we've gotten in modern times is Ross Perot. Perot was a great manager but even he ran into a lot of problems trying to create a national campaign that could win.