1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unity party ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by snowconeman22, Jul 17, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good analogy using LBJ sometimes the best way to get things actually done is by using an insider.

It's frustrating that too many people don't take into account that a president needs have support in congress to get anything accomplished, how does Yang implement an agenda?

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I trust yang because he ran an honest campaign , had great (personal opinion) ideas , and has held to his promise to support the dem nominee so far .

I agree unity party is prolly a bad name

I preferred the original plan name “darkhorse duo”

I feel like the competence is understood .

As far as getting things done , if they actually won is that not a mandate ?

I agree with what others have said that focusing on congress , ranked choice voting , and local elections is the bigger way to make change .... but I’m afraid we don’t have time for that . I think we need a radical shakeup and we need to put the right executive or executives in charge .

Nothing about our government makes much sense anymore .

I think the idea of having the president and the VP work more as a team is an interesting idea and the chance to have 2 heads of the ticket in a way . You draw from both left and right

I think Weinstein’s main point is that there is a swarth of us in the middle who don’t have a candidate... apolitical , solution oriented , Open minded .

I’m not sure how open joe is to listening to ideas , outside of doing it to score political points .

Hopefully we will see . I don’t think this idea has a chance of actually working but I would like to see it start , I would like to see those of us who are sick of partisan politics threaten to burn it down . I would like to see an alternative to the 2 parties with some weight . I would like us to stop choosing between the lesser of two evils . I don’t believe biden is evil , but I don’t believe he is gonna be a great leader either ... and I think the situation we are gonna be in requires it .

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So basically you think you and this swarth of people who don't have a candidate know more than everybody else?

I have no idea why that makes you trust Yang but not Biden since he has done the same.

So if Biden wins isn't that also a mandate?

All politics are partisan to some degree, what does burning it all down really get you but more dysfunction?

I still don't see how Yang is a better leader that Biden who has actually led ad gotten things done, what has Yang done to make you think he will get things done without having buy in from any group of congressmen?

What has Yang done to make anyone think he has that ability?

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Look yourself in the mirror and say "I am a Loser"!"

You may find that you tell yourself this a few times:

[​IMG]

Then do yourself a favor and come to terms with: fear of rejection is worse than rejection itself

Hope you have a great day tough guy!

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope a vote for this is a vote for Trump.

DD

Rashmon, Patience and Ottomaton like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

that sounds really ridiculous to me...look, Trump has to go...stuff like this isn’t even worth talking about at this point

What will this do other than possibly lower Democratic voter turnout?

DVauthrin, Patience and RayRay10 like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

You are helped ==> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/swarth

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

At least the page is filling with Michael Jordan reading cue cards. My work here is almost done.

More on topic, I think unitards are the last detail we need to fully enter dystopia now.

[​IMG]

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure unitard is on the prohibited words list

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

look man , biden has been in Government for 40 years , if he hadn’t gotten anything done that would be an issue .

how do things get done ? Theoretically congress deliberates and the president either signs the bill or vetoes it .

is joe Biden’s relationship with Mitch McConnell gonna encourage the 2 to work together ?

how do legislators decide when to work together when to compromise ? Does the president put pressure on them ? Their constituents?

It’s a crapshoot either way . You can look at joes experience and relationships as a positive , but at the end of the day what prompts those in power to make changes ? It’s pressure .

Biden winning would not be a surprise at this point . It’s more a repudiation of trump than excitement towards any specific policies . If I’m the unlikely event a 3rd party duo won it would likely be on the back of policies they espouse or you just picked 2 extremely well liked people ... either way pressure is put on congress to work with them , in my opinion .

Yang has been working as a private citizen during the crisis to help people get cash grants .

trusting his judgement more than biden is a question I can’t provide empirical evidence for . It’s the combined effects of hearing him speak , interact with others , and bringIng ideas to the table that make me think he can be an effective leader .

I don’t think anything I’ve said reflects the opinion that I know better than everyone . However , look at it from the other perspective. What convinces you that someone who’s a “insider” knows better than someone in the middle who feels Unrepresented? Sometimes you can see better when you aren’t in the thick of things .

do you think trump derangement syndrome is real ?

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

B-Bob, RayRay10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Heard Brett W. propose this on his recent JRE appearance. It's a strange idea but at least it's an alternative to the status quo. Having said that, it's far too late in the process for this.

IMO, Biden is a D-/F+ at best but that's still better than the F- that currently occupies the position.

F- might be too generous but there's no lower score.

RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes I think there is Trump derangement syndrome on both sides.

I don't know what Biden will do or if Yang is up to the task but what I do know is that Biden has done tangible things and has the contacts and resources to get things done again and knows the people to help him implement these things.

I never said that an insider knows better but what I do know is that a person who has zero bureaucratic experience has a bigger chance to fail, dropping them into all of the things that are currently going on in america.

Most of the time actually knowing how a thing works is better than thinking you know how things work and have the answers to fix them.

RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@jiggyfly

fair enough .

experience can be a good thing and experience can be a bad thing .

I’m just extreeemely worried that biden is too old and entrenched in his worldview to entertain and promote the type of ideas and solutions we are going to need to get ourselves out of this .

I am not hopeful that an 80 year old will fare well from the stress of the Oval Office .

my main worry is something that people have said positively about biden which is that he is a return to normalcy. People are tired of worrying about the president and want to be able to go back to not worrying about government . I think that is the wrong approach . I think we need to take the frustration created and do something other than hit the snooze button .

I feel like I’ve seen this game . The republicans know how to play opposition . If joe wins he will face as tough of an uphill climb as Obama and trump .

Yang may be MY main reason for liking the plan but the idea of it being more of a co-ticket with a former navy admiral makes me think that you would be able to bring in support from the right .

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think the Admiral will bring in better support than the Lincoln Project?

I understand somewhat where you are coming from but you seem to ignore everything that is currently happening and only think of best case scenario concerning the Yang ticket.

How bare you so sure Yang and the admiral plans for the U.S. are the same or that they won't be at odds with each other once they get power/

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

true . The plan could easily backfire if the two leaders started disagreeing and their relationship became fractured .

so far the Lincoln project has created ads , raised money , and faced blowback from people on the left because of old wounds . Granted , the left will take their help .

I’m not sure how effective advertisement is gonna be . Have the Dems not run an advertisement campaign against DT since he decided to run ?

Money helps , but joe didn’t raise that much money during the dem primary ... I’m not sure I saw a single Biden Ad during the primary , at least early on .

I would hope that whoever the plan chooses as the two leaders are committed to working together and wouldn’t sign up if they already had huge philosophical differences with each other .

one example of a policy that seems left , but actually garnered more support on the right at the beginning was UBI . From what I remember yang had an easier time convincing independents and former R’s that it was a good idea than he could Democrats.

All in all , going the traditional route and picking biden is the “safer” pick . But I think we are a rebuilding Team and we can’t waste our opportunity on a 4-year college player who projects to be serviceable . We need to swing for the fences and pick the high upside prospect :)

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I rather resemble that remark..

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You are one of the most biased people I've come across. Uninformed as usual.

debro: Dur Rogan doesnt know what he's talking about
    Biden is the second coming of JC. He will save us all.
    Further, Rogan is just a racist.

As usual, like other people here, you twist things around into this weird fantasy.

To correct your ignorance, Rogan routinely has many people on his podcasts from all over. He lets his guests openly talk about their thoughts and ideas, as opposed to calling them stupid racist bigots or other petty ways to shut conversation down. (which is what you doing right now)
    He is not openly promoting this idea. He let Brett Weinstein, like almost every other guest, discuss his idea. He engaged and let the guest get into the nuances of his idea instead of shutting him down and silencing him.

I personally dont think it has a snowballs chance in hell. Both parties are betrothed to the deep seeded root of issues in this country.

snowconeman22 likes this.