1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason 2011

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 3, 2011.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

breaking news!

kareem jackson falls down

2 people like this.
  2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hey, why are making fun of him!

He's a "top flight rookie CB"-rhino ;)

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

what? When would I have ever said that?

Or is my sarcasm meter broken?

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

how did Patrick patterson look last night? i didn't watch the game. i know one game doesn't define him as a player, just curious did his performance likely improve or hurt his draft status?

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I assume you mean Peterson, since this isn't the GARM. He didn't shut anyone down, Texas A&M didn't really avoid throwing the ball his way, and ended up 23/36 passing with 218 yards, and 3 interceptions (all by other DBs). He did line up really close to the line of scrimmage and never seemed to get burned, which impressed me for his size.

8. conquistador#11

What's your analysis on Von Miller? I kept hearing on the radio that this guy is a beast but I wasn't impressed, even though most of the running plays called by LSU seemed to be deliberately designed to go away from where Von miller was ligned up.
    I guess I was expecting four sacks, one forced fumble and an interception from the guy just by the way he was being hyped. I did like how the sidelines called in the plays using pictures from characters of "the office'.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Safety

Looking at how teams seem to crumble when their safeties go down.
    Steelers got Troy P
    Jets and Colts defenses crumbled with their Safeties out

Texans have to start with a good Strong Safety

Rocket River

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Can't wait to see how Bob McNair screws this up. Best corner in the league will be a free agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Texans didn't waste money this season on minor players. Hopefully, Rick Smith can land Nnamdi Asomugha with the money he didn't waste.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The guy is going to want to be the highest paid defensive player in the league most likely and will have lots of team pursuing him. Based on those qualification I don't even expect the Texans to get involved. He is so far out of their operating history that I would be stunned if they tried to sign him. They don't like bidding wars and they don't like big name free agents.

14. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Sad but true. I'm hoping we make a strong play for him. Enough with this cheap/bull**** system we have in place now.

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Wow..that is a pipedream right there! Last year I was all about defending how our FO operates but this season I feel completely different. Their conservative approach to bringing in players is what's going to keep us a mediocre ball club. I seriously cannot imagine them going after Scrabble, we just don't spend that kind of money. I even doubted we would go after the previous top DB in Champ and the second tier guys like Carlos Rogers, but with Nnamdi on the market demanding top dollar it might actually force us to go after guys like Champ and Carlos Rogers, Brent Grimes, Ike Taylor, etc. because they will command less money and look more like a bargain in Bob McCheap's eyes.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

i'm as frustrated as the next guy, but give me one good reason why he would sign with us? good teams will be lining up for his services. we are not a good team.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

First of all, you should know by now that it's not about "good" or "bad" teams for free agents. It's about the money. The Texans saved money in prior years by not making significant free agency moves. The Texans saved money by not canning Kubiak. The Texans have the finances to make as good of an offer as any team in this league. It will come down to whether McNair will open up the wallet. He wouldn't for Schobel or other marquee free agents, so I'm not optimistic.

Moreover, Asomugha is a difference maker. If he signs with the Texans, this group instantly becomes the favorite in the AFC South. It really is that simple, and he knows it. If the Texans make a big offer, there's definitely a good shot they land him. All hinges on that "if".

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Watching all of these great secondary players in the playoffs is giving me a damned ulcer thinking about the Texans.

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This. He was already getting QB money from the Raiders. Dude voided that contract so he can finally be a winner. Hopefully the Texans can sell him on a top flight offense, and a defensive guru at coordinator coaching a defense featuring Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, and Cushing. But dude might be looking for teams that already are good.

Just offer him big money like they did with Andre Johnson, pitch the team, and see what happens. Asomugha will have his choice of suitors.

20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Asomugha was getting money from the Raiders. He wants to win. The money just needs to be comparable, not the most. I think he will be factoring both money and opportunity to win into his decision. I really doubt teams like the Panthers have a shot at him.