1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man shoots unarmed black juvenile stealing from car, no charges pending

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by StupidMoniker, Dec 1, 2015.

1. likestohypeguy

Yeah they're confusing that point, someone even mentioned we have to consider whether a thief "deserves" to die for it. No, many people put themselves into circumstances that result in consequences they don't necessarily deserve. Unfortunate, but it's an intersection of competing rights. End of the day I'm glad I live in a state where thieves have to think about putting themselves in a potentially deadly situation before stealing someone else's property.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm not trying to argue anything. I'm trying to point out exactly what you just reiterated.

Is there a solution you plan to suggest with your radical groups?

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not arguing against what happened in this specific scenario though.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

In your example you could argue that the police were indirectly responsible for the guy's death. They weren't trying to kill him, they were trying to capture him. They would not be guilty of killing the child.

In this example, the man overreacted to the situation at hand and used deadly force to stop a crime from happening. Deadly force should always be the last resort, only to be used when your life is in danger.

5. Falcons Talon

The country is sick. The violence is a treatment for the disease of the decadence and feelings of entitlement that have grown over the years of complacency, going soft on crimes because whatever excuse can be used so we don't go hard on criminals...even non violent ones.

6. Falcons Talon

This is very true. I am curious if this man was repeatedly victimized and finally snapped.

7. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I'm not sure if there is one specifically for this. I'll have to consider. It may be one of those issues that are inseparable from the issues of capitalism and states in general. It is slow and uncertain work trying to overcome these, but we are doing our best having people be prepared to turn a crisis into an opportunity for change.

8. Falcons Talon

Yes, its obviously a very complex situation. I wish you luck because I don't think deadly force should be allowed for a vehicle burglary, but criminals should feel fear to dissuade them from engaging in illegal activities as well.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You can look at it through that lens. Or, you can say our country made a choice to give everyone the right to carry a gun (mistake #1), then passed laws giving people the right to use deadly force to protect property even when people are not endangered (mistake #2), and then provided law enforcement so unreliable or untrustworthy that people would sooner look to themselves than to police to handle crime (mistake #3).

This guy has the law on his side. I question his judgement, but I don't have a problem with him. I do have a problem with leaders who thought this was a good system.

10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Or, alternatively, we could try to create a society that did not have such great disparities in wealth and so much poverty.

Societies based on fear and violence are doomed to be sick. A healthy society is not one where poor people toe the line out of fear, but one where there is not so much poverty.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Disgusting...

Where do you draw the line? Petty car theft? How about a teenager stealing a gum packet from a gas station? How about a 10 year old stealing a ball from the neighbors yard? Does any form of theft no matter how minuscule make fair game to murder to you? Do the people downloading free movies and music lives have no value either? How about watching 2 movies at a theatre and only paying for one ticket? These are all forms of clear theft.

Everything isn't black and white depending on how it sits with technicalitys of the law.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That was StupidMoniker that did that. It was so cute really.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very interesting. The thief doesn't hurt anyone. The person who is willing and feels justified in killing a thief, certainly hurts someone. The thief may change their ways. The thief may be stealing to provide food for their family because they don't have other options (that usually isn't the case, but those shooting the thief can't really take time to do an investigation before pulling the trigger). More than likely the thief is a slave to addiction and is stealing to support the habit. That too might be remedied over time as long as they live.

But again, the thief isn't hurting anyone, and the shooter of the thief is. I can't be so quick to put the thief's value at less than that of the killer's.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

A 13 year old isn't a thief, a 13 year old is a kid, doing what kids do.

Other than imminent danger, there is nothing that justifies killing a child.

15. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

nonsense.. i come from 4th ward. Thieves at age 13 carry weapons. Get Real.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thief didn't.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol at claiming 4th ward for credibility. I lived in third ward for a decade. Shall we compete for who is more real?

18. Falcons Talon

A 13 year old kid that steals is still a thief.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol 4th ward...you mean Midtown?

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nope, kid.