1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man shoots unarmed black juvenile stealing from car, no charges pending

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by StupidMoniker, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Do you think what the guy did was ok?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Impossible question to answer without all the facts.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

I don't see the problem here there was more than one thief that he caught in the act and protected his property.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

On the other side of the coin, there are robbers who find your property more valuable than your life and will kill you for the cash in your wallet and locked smart phone. In this case, the kid falls under the category of nonviolent burglar. The property owner has no idea what kind of criminal the kid is. I have no problem with a property owner using deadly force to protect his property.

It sucks that a kid died. But for all the owner knows, the kid could've been armed and dangerous. The kid took a risk to steal property that wasn't his.

1 person likes this.
  5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

This^^

another point, if the owner did NOT have a gun and instead, injured the kid while trying to protect his property..the kid's family could've sued the owner.

Its truly sad that the kid died..but the property owner was within his right.

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Thank you. Saved me from having to type the exact same thing.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If people can die over protecting property, then it's implicit that you can kill to take it.

Ultimately it's a personal matter over whether you believe that's a world we live in or a world we have influence to choose how we live and treat each other.

Edit- what Duncan wrote.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think Jesus would agree that property has more value than life.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Seems to generalize an entire race of people, and yet you are so wrong. Black on black crime does get called out by black people, look harder. Don't expect all of your news to be spoon-fed to you.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Since this is the D&D I'll note that I'm a liberal, and completely agree with your post. Sad situation, but unless the owner knew that the thief was un-armed and posed no threat, I think his actions were justified.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Stuff != Life morally

Stuff = Life legally

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Thing is, blacks are far more likely than whites (and any other race) to be the victim of a murder - they account for about half of all murder victims. People should look at the data, as tough as it is, in order to view the broad scope of the black on black violence that occurs in the US.

Murder Victims: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...ble_1_murder_victims_by_race_and_sex_2013.xls
    Murder Offenders: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...murder_offenders_by_age_sex_and_race_2013.xls

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"view the broad scope of black on black violence"? Don't know what you are getting at, but I can go you one better:

American-on-American violence is an appalling world spectacle.

As an American, do you feel any responsibility?

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Is this your coping mechanism or your deflecting mechanism?

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I support massive protests over stupid threads like these.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't find an issue with the law, I just couldn't kill someone for that. That's crazy. Unless he turns at you with a weapon.

However, if someone breaks into my house, and I have a gun, they better hope I can't get a shot on them. A man's house is sacred ground. Don't be going in it uninvited.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Nevermind

18. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

The kid was 13. For those people supporting the property owner shooting the kid for stealing, I have this question: How young would somebody have to be before you would say them being killed while committing a non-violent theft was not ethically justifiable?

You are ok with killing a 13 year old obviously, how about a 10 year old? 9? 5? 12? What is the line exactly?

I remember my daughter mistakenly opened up the car door and got inside of a car that looked like mine a couple years ago when we were coming out of a store. She was 10 at the time. Could the car owner have justifiably shot her in your opinion? I am sure it may have looked like she was stealing.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure that thief's family and friends did value his life....also notable that those weren't who he was stealing from and those aren't who shot him. His life didn't mean anything to the man he was stealing from, which is why he got shot.

Moral of the story, if you are going to be a thief you should steal only from your family and friends so that they won't shoot you.

The man that shot him wasn't wrong legally or morally for protecting his property.

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

SMH all you nuts defending criminals