1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our defense has dropped significantly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yellow, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Maybe practice time together has something to do with it?

2. timyeung

timyeung Member

If we are talking about defense, there is a huge elephant in the room that everyone knows about but no one wants to talk about (or maybe its just accepted). Harden needs to improve his defensive effort. Sure, defense is a team effort, but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

3. visible

visible Member

Harden is really bad defender. Asik and PB injuries make big difference.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm curious. Given that you do not believe there's enough sample size to show that the team performs better with Beverly than Lin...

What makes you believe there's enough sample size to state Lin is better than Beverley? Because as far as I can tell, these two conclusions come from the same set of data, which is games played this year.

You can't have enough proof for one but not the other, when both are based on this season's games.

5. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Because he wants out?

6. visible

visible Member

Lin is much better offensive player and about same with PB as defensive. So Lin does better overall. Of course there are plenty of data to prove what many people say here. You as Lin doubt just never accept it so stats mean nothing for you.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perhaps he watches the games? Some of us do, and without the rose colored glasses. Some of us don't have a bias towards a particular player, and a bias against another player, in order to prop up a perceived need to defend a "hero" who doesn't need the help, and would likely be embarrassed to read much of the nonsense wrtten here in his "defense." It's possible to be a fan of more than one Rocket. In fact, it's possible to simply be a fan of the team. We all have our favorite players. What many of us do not have is an agenda, the sole purpose of which is to sing the praises of one player, while dinigrating any other player who plays the same position, or takes away from that member's view of his hero's "glory." I see that attitude from some members here far too frequently. That the game threads are constantly derailed by them is quite frustrating.

1 person likes this.
  8. jason330i

jason330i Member

well, it's obvious you are talking about lin fans.

it's curious though that through your non-rose colored glasses, you don't mention the haters, the trolls, the baiters who purposely say something ridiculous that ends up dearailing the game threads.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

So if stats say the Rockets are better on offense and defense with Beverley on the court over Lin, would that mean anything to you?

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

He didn't mention them because he was responding to a post that was obviously from a LOF. Why would he mention other posters when they are not relevant to the post he made?

11. Xfinity

Xfinity Member

If there are many then they sure aren't posting on this forum. You might want to use few instead of many.

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many are discouraged from posting because their quality posts get lost in the all the noise.

13. jason330i

jason330i Member

ok, but don't you think it's ironic to speak of rose colored glasses yet not tell the whole story?

14. SirKen

SirKen Member

Not surprising at all. There is a reason this place is getting worse and worse.

15. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Individual stats vs lineup stats. There are a lot more minutes of one than the other, and the individual stats extend to last year as well. The lack of minutes for starting lineup has been impacted by all the injuries and the TT experiment.

That said, I'm as lazy as the next guy. I don't look stats up that often, and once I form a general impression it sticks for a while. My general impression is Lin is better on offense, Bev is better on defense, and the difference on offense is greater than the difference on defense.

For our starting lineup, that extra defense makes a bigger impact, so it might be reasonable for Bev to be there. But I'm suspicious of the data because it shows Bev as better on offense too. When I look at the limited lineup minutes and consider injuries/opponents/etc, and then consider it is showing things that I wouldn't expect, then I think the minutes could be an issue in what the data is showing.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So from where you sit, one shouldn't make a post about anything unless one includes every possible angle, every possible thought, on every player possibly involved in every possible scenario. Got it. In other words, one shouldn't say anything, unless one says everything.

I tell you what. When I see you write "The Great American Book of Professional Basketball As It Pertains to the Houston Rockets" in every post about any topic, I'll consider going to the trouble. Certainly, I see your point. Far too few here post at length about Their Hero after every game. I see it time and again... The Hero being neglected. Neglected by the coach and his staff, neglected by the front office, neglected by Clutch, neglected by the Mods, neglected by the 48,000-plus members of ClutchFans. Neglected, in particular, by those who don't subscribe to the overwhelming obsession about one Houston Rocket player that I see here over, and over, and over again, ad nauseam, which especially burns the collective butts of The Hero's most ardent fans.

Somehow, in your eyes, we are selling that Hero short. It's ruining our season. It's ruining the team. It's the ruination of Rockets Nation. It's crystal clear. Thank you so very much for clearing things up for me.

17. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I sense some frustration.

I don't know to which player you could be referring as you have cleverly disguised his name, but I would speculate from your description that Mr. Hero has an underdog story in his background. This would unfortunately tend to resonate both on those occasions where he is performing well and on those where he is not, those being the two poles of underdog mythos.

A bit dicey to deal with, but it is what it is.

18. jason330i

jason330i Member

are you sure you don't have an agenda?

:grin:

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So I shouldn't expect that tome any time soon.

20. Chris Jent MVP

Getting Asik and Beverley back on the bench where they belong will be a big improvement to this team.