1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron James passing to the corner when he gets in the paint

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jopatmc, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Just stop it man, we have the same points since page 1 and he doesn't listen. You can't argue with him about this, just stop replying.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ok, guys. This is exhibit A of what I'm talking about. He's simply torching the Celtics tonight because he's looking to score, score, score. Playing totally selfish, looking for his shot. 30 in the first half and silencing the Boston home crowd all by himself. Let's see if he takes it to the finish and puts up 60 for the Heat win.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I concede to you sir. LeBron is a lot more special than I thought he was.

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Really? He's torching the Celtics because he's on fire from midrange. Passing to the corner is completely irrelevant if he's shooting from midrange, because the corner shot isn't open. I know you want to be right, but this is not a good example of this thread topic.

5. jopatmc

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. He scored so much that he forced the Celtic defense to collapse on him the second he started his dribble and that opens up all the passing lanes for the cutters in the lane. Lebron didn't settle for passing the ball tonight. He didn't make the correct basketball play. He decided he was going to score and score big. He demanded the ball and he took every shot he could possibly take without thought for involving his teammates or who was open. If he was open or had an opening he took the shot or drove the paint and attempted to finish. He simply tore a huge hole in the Celtics D. They had no chance.

Keep yacking about Lebron's passing. But when he passes first he lets the defense off the hook. If Lebron decides to score first consistently, he'll average 40 points, 7 assists, and 8 boards and the Heat will win multiple championships. This is the Lebron that I knew he was capable of being. And this is not a one-night thing either. Lebron can do what he did tonight for all 82 games of the regular season and all of the playoffs. He has that much of a physical and talent dominance over all his opponents.

1 person likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His baseline fade away was dream like.

7. jopatmc

The Celtic defense will have to torque their defense so much to stop Lebron in game 7 that he'll be throwing 25 and 30 foot assists to tehe rim for wide open dunks and layups to Wade and the rest. He won't have to score 50 the next game. All he has to do is look to score 50 and force the defense to have to play him like a scorer. That is when he can unleash some 20 assist crazy stats. And that is, if he doesn't go back to "running the offence" and "facilitating" and "making sure everybody else is involved" and instead just goes and gets his.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

jopatmc, if you count all of Lebron's passes from the paint to the corners, then count all shot attempts from these passes, find the percentage they make, and then compare it to Lebron's percentage at the rim, adjusted for 3 and 2 points, and find that Lebron still shoots a better percentage, I'll give up. Even though I still think Lebron gets open at the rim because his court vision makes sagging the paint a dangerous option for the defense.

9. jopatmc

already proven Morning. Look at the shooting charts. Now, add up how many And 1's Lebron gets on top of that. Not even close.

Lebron should always score first and force the defense to play him as a scorer not a passer. And then when the defense is playing him as a scorer, then he can pass to guys in the paint for layups instead of driving into the paint and passing out for the 32% 3 point shot. And yes, his teammates fling it up at about 32%.

If you watched this game tonight, it should be abundantly clear to you what I am talking about.

10. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

What I noticed from this game is when LeBron receives the ball anywhere in the high or low post, it's over. Too fast and crafty for bigs that try to guard him where he can just take one or two dribbles and absorb contact and try hit his shot - Too big and strong against the smaller forwards and guards that try prevent him posting up where he can just power his way to the rim or shoot over them. I like that he doesn't handle the ball as much now. They get it to him and let him do his thing... what's the result? 45, 15 and 5..

11. jopatmc

That's exactly right. IF he gets the ball, posted up, back-to-the-basket, in the triple threat, at the high post or lower,.....it's over.

And people wanna say the league has moved past post-up basketball. Pssssshhh!

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Ah very interesting, I didn't know you had looked at the numbers already. I should have assumed as much. I still don't think throwing it to the corner is a dumb play, and I'm not sure if I ever will, but I can see why you would want Lebron to play more like MJ/Kobe than you would want him to play like say, Magic Johnson. Even Mj occasionally passed out to Mr. Paxson for that 3 pointer. But that's the beauty of Lebron James' skill set. He can play like Magic or like MJ on any given night.

Saying kicking it out to the corner is stupid and saying Lebron should play more like a scorer and less like a facilitator are different matters entirely. I personally enjoy watching a facilitator play far more than a scorer, but with the way the Miami Heat are built, it's probably best for Lebron to be a scorer.

14. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Just because you enjoy Lebron playing "point forward" doesnt make it a good decision. Lebron is strong enough to score in the paint at will, or get fouled trying. It maddening to see him get close enough to put up unblockable floaters and pass back out to a low pct 3pt shooter. Heck, true facilitators like CP3 and Westbrook impose themselves more in the paint then James does.

15. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Agreed. Can you imagine if LeBron had Kobe's mentality towards stat chasing

That 81 point game that Kobe had, would be 110 points( if you are basing it on how efficent LeBron this year)

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Good points made, but maybe reel it back a bit... ?:) Have to shoot a ridiculous amount of field goals to get to the 40 points. Here's the top 2 most high scoring, high usage, ball chuckingest seasons past 30 years (Jordan, Kobe). Extrapolate from there what it takes.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com...m=0&p1=bryanko01&y1=2006&p2=jordami01&y2=1987
    Code:
    Rk	Player	Season	       Age	G	GS	MP	FG	FGA	FG%	3P	3PA	3P%	FT	FTA	FT%	ORB	DRB	TRB	AST	STL	BLK	TOV	PF	PTS
    1	Kobe Bryant	2005-06	27	80	80	41.0	12.2	27.2	.450	2.3	6.5	.347	8.7	10.2	.850	0.9	4.4	5.3	4.5	1.8	0.4	3.1	2.9	35.4
    2	Michael Jordan*	1986-87	23	82	82	40.0	13.4	27.8	.482	0.1	0.8	.182	10.2	11.9	.857	2.0	3.2	5.2	4.6	2.9	1.5	3.3	2.9	37.1

Its generally saying that Lebron should take the actual Kevin Durant approach. Beat Durant at his own game... Just pump in points, let the facilitating be a 4th priority. But then Lebron's gotta have enough for 7 assists. Basically he's the only guy on the court.

Though that can be applied to lot of players. Just keep feeding them the ball at what they're good at, let them go to work, get out the way and let them carry you. All the team's best players should average more then.

But when Lebron has that game face on, he can be convincing.

17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I didn't say anywhere in my post that I think it's a good decision, I just said I enjoy it. Actually, I said that its a good idea with the way the Heat are currently constructed that he isn't a point forward and is more a scorer.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[jopatmc]If LeBron can score 45 like last night, this valildates my point that he can average 90 points a game if he's simply more aggressive![/jopatmc]

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's a difference between taking shots from mid-range and driving to the hole every single time even if others were open from the 3. If you look at his shots, most of those were taken mid-court and beyond, its not like he's driving to the hole and getting hacked and scored on fts. Most of his points were on made baskets --> IE Not getting hacked while trying to get to the basket.

Also, the bolded part of your statement made no sense. Lebron isn't made of metal, he's human just like you and me. If he scored and scored and scored and took it to the rack 100x out of 100 he'd probably score 40 pts, but 2-3 years later he'll have back spasms and athritis on his leg and wacked up knees. Remember when Dwade was called the FLASH for being faster than everybody else and was known for getting up 11 times after getting knocked down 10? Yeah I do too :rolleyes:

20. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

LOL are you serious? drive to the paint, draw defense, kick it out to the corner for the 3..what is wrong with you. quit basketball.