1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron James passing to the corner when he gets in the paint

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jopatmc, Apr 28, 2012.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I'd rather have lebron passing in the corner to an open teammate than risk injury trying to lay it up/dunk over 3 guys. If he has only 1 guy in his way, he should finish. If he has 3 guys in his way, he should pass.

2. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

I wish there was a way to get Lebron's opinion on this matter.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

Did the thought ever occur to you that he shoots like 70% down there because he doesn't force up bad shots when he's covered by 3-4 guys and instead passes it out?

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Wow, I've seen like 6 different players in the last 3 games do the same thing. Why aren't we making threads on Heyward doing the same thing?

Moreover, what is so dumb about this play? If you are a good passer, then it's a very efficient method on offense, especially with a deadly 3 point shooter being left unopen in that area.

If LeBron were in Houston, making so-called dumb plays, I would've been happy with it. At least, the team would've been the playoffs.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i love when people criticize guys like lebron because they are so athletic the person doing the criticizing EXPECTS superhuman

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I love when the person that criticizes him usually has ZERO actual basketball experience and thinks he knows everything about basketball.

If you haven't played the game of basketball (and it seems like Jopat is lying about this) he'd know that forcing up a contested shot over three defenders in the paint is going to get you hated at the gym. Nobody wants to play with a ballhog.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Totally r****ded responses trying to compare your game at the local YMCA to James in the NBA. Totally r****ded. So r****ded that this is the only response I will give to them.

8. RedRedemption

LEBRON JAMES IS NOT GOING TO CONSISTENTLY MAKE SHOTS OVER 2-3 DEFENDERS IN THE PAINT.
    This is why LeBron isn't likable. His fans are so annoying; thinking he's a god and should never pass the ball.

9. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Do you find it odd that there hasn't been a single person on this thread that has come to your defense?

Do you want to know why guys like Magic, Bird, and even Kobe when asked who they would like to play basketball with if they had the choice to all picked LeBron? It's because more often than not, he doesn't force up stupid shots in the paint over 2 or 3 defenders. In other words, he isn't a ball-hog and makes the right basketball play. If you don't want to take it from us, at least take it from those 3 guys. I'm pretty sure inside "elite basketball circles", those guys know what they are talking about.

10. jopatmc

I have plenty of actual basketball experience. I can tell I have more than you. I don't know everything about basketball. But I know more than you do about basketball. I have played basketball and all of my comments in this thread have been about Lebron playing basketball, not about me or you playing basketball. And I'm talking about Lebron playing in the NBA, not you playing in the gym and being hated because you are throwing up bricks like you always do so you have to pass all the time so the guys down at the gym don't hate you. LOL

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Passing is stupid.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

And Lebron actually plays in the NBA, and is arguably the best player in the NBA skills-wise. Maybe he knows a teeny bit more than you do.

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

The OP's point was expertly refuted before the thread got to its second page. This is merely another example of the OP stating an opinion and calling it a fact.

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

bro we get it , you have man love for lebron james:rolleyes:
    anyways bball is still a TEAM sport and lebron can become another D rose if trying to force it in paint all game. His style will one day get him injured

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

i cannot agree with you more.

16. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Contributing Member

Jopatmc is one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board, and one of the biggest bball junkies we have. So I can't dismiss this argument outright. I think what he's trying to say is that for most players in the NBA, the kickout to the open corner 3 is the correct play, but LeBron's unique (read: insane) skill set leads to efficiencies that make what would be thought of as the correct play for 90% of the league incorrect for LeBron. That argument, once you think of it that way, makes a lot of sense, but it's counter-intuitive when you first read it.

I do think that LeBron could finish more, but I also don't think he's wired like a Jordan or a Kobe - he's wired much more like Magic, but with Jordan-level scoring talent. Is this a bad thing? To me it's not an efficiency question but a b-ball philosophy question. It's definitely open for interpretation.

17. RedRedemption

Its basketball instinct to not take it against three defenders unless you are Kevin Martin and want to flop your way to a win.
    NOBODY can do that consistently. Not even Jordan.
    If LeBron had the ability to win the game by himself he would have seven championships in Cleveland by now.

I mean LeBron left Cleveland because he didn't have competent teammates to pass to, now that he does can you blame him for taking advantage of his teammates?

18. jopatmc

Here's Lebron's teammates 3-point shooting percentages for the last few years

Heat 2012 35.9%
    Heat 2011 37.9%
    Cavs 2010 39.58%
    Cavs 2009 40.74%
    Cavs 2008 37%
    Cavs 2007 36.1%

19. RedRedemption

I'm not talking about threes. I'm talking about teammates' talent in general. You can't say Parker, Williams, Big Z > Wade, Chalmers, Haslem, Bosh.
    You can afford to pass when you have Wade and Bosh on your team....

20. jopatmc

This thread is about Lebron passing out for the 3-ball shot when he is in the lane with the dribble.