1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron James passing to the corner when he gets in the paint

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jopatmc, Apr 28, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This thread isnt' about Melo. I was simply showing the contrast. In crunch time, you go to your best player....always. Sure those things you say about Melo are true. But he is the most deadliest Knick and it's not really close.

You always go to your superstar and ask him to make a play.

In Lebron's case, if he gets momentum going towards the goal, then the most optimum play for the Heat is for him to finish. Drawing up a play for Wade to dribble out the shot clock without involving James and James not demanding the ball in those situations is what separates James from Jordan and Bryant. He's simply not in their league until he demands the ball at all times and makes a play.

2. jopatmc

Barkley: "I'm not gonna put the best player on the planet in the corner and tell him to sit there and wait."

"I sure hope Spoelstra didn't draw that up."

3. trugoy

trugoy Member

Lebron doesn't have the best body control. He's not up there with Jordan or Kobe or even Vince carter.

So his ability to finish in traffic is not elite.

What he does have is great strength, so he can finish through contact, but he can't really move the ball around or twist his body etc... He also doesn't have the greatest footwork, so he sometimes gets in awkward finishing positions.

4. jopatmc

Here we are again. Barkley, Kenny, and Shaq saying ad nauseum that Lebron is too unselfish and he needs to be the go-to man down the stretch. Following another loss where Lebron stood around and threw the ball to Shane and DWade for the miss.

Kenny: "DWade's advantage is not as great as Lebron's advantage."

5. jopatmc

If Lebron wants a ring, he needs to do what he just did right here in this Pacers Series close out game. Take it to the hole and finish over multiple defenders. He just did the right thing. And closed out the Pacers.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Or maybe its a way to extend your career so you don't have nagging injuries by age 30 :rolleyes:

Taking it to the hole may be the "correct" play, but IMHO its not worth it when you have an open guy waiting at the 3 pt line. This whole blindly jump into 4 defenders and get fouled strategy is one of the reasons why Brandon Roy had to retire.

7. jopatmc

LOL. Like a tank running into station wagons. Gotta worry about dinging up the tank.

8. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You cannot reason with the OP, he does not understand those concepts of basketball, where say LeBron is doubled or tripled teamed, while a 3 point shooter is sitting wide open. It does not make sense to take a shot, it's a very low percentage shot.

Smart play would be to pass, if the shooter misses, it's still a good play.

Trying to go to hole with the ball, again. It depends on the player, but a player of LeBron's caliber -- yes, he can take that chance. Though, who is to say what his the best option is, he's not the only person I've seen used that play. An exceptional passer can do that, and you have to give him the benefit of doubt, because it works most of the time. If he were some JV player doing, you could make the argument against it.

LBJ isn't. Moreover, who is the OP to call LBJ out for making a dumb play. Is he a coach or something?

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

This isn't the correct play, the correct play is you go the guy with the highest chance to get the goal. Melo has Lebron guarding him on the perimeter, Steve Novak is wide open on the other side of the court. Is the correct play Iso-ing with the best player in world guarding him? Or is it throwing the ball to one of the best shooters in NBA history who happens to be wide open? Melo obviously thought a lot like you, which is why he's sitting at home right now in his couch instead of still playing.

Saying your superstar has to be the one to make a play every single time is just laziness IMHO, I mean why have coaches then? Don't bother drawing up game plans, make every play an ISO for your superstar and see how much games you end up winning. Just because Melo or whoever happens to be the best player doesn't mean he always has to be the dude who hits the last shot, your opponent isn't a moron and he'd make sure your superstar is extremely well defended. Rather than hoping and praying your superstar comes through with a miracle shot the logical choice is go to the dude who is open.

I don't even know where you get that r****ded idea that superstars always need to be the one to close out games. Guys like Steve Kerr, Mike Bibby and Horry have made a career out of taking game winning shots, and those guys have played alongside the best superstars in the NBA.

11. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

the good pass in the open man. doesn't matter if he's in the corner or not.

though I get kind've what you're saying. Spoelstra has no spine. what a little bytch.

12. jopatmc

Yes, the good pass is always the open man.

But for lebron the great play is finishing.

13. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

For all of you old timers I pose you this question.
    Has there ever been anyone as good as LeBron James at driving to the hoop, absorbing contact and finishing? Because I can't think of anyone in today's NBA that is as good as he is at the foul and finishing.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Again the question is how long do you want him finishing plays? I'd rather have Dirk shot goes for the non-contact fadeaways and does that for 12 years and counting than the Yao Ming who always goes for the finish and does it for 5.

I guess you always keep ignoring the wear and tear issue because you have no answer for it. Even monsters like DH broke down, and he isn't even 28.

15. jopatmc

Are you actually comparing Yao's body to Lebron's????

Ridiculous.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Let the thread die jopat, you won't convince anyone that you're right. No one here agrees with you and you should suck it up.

17. jopatmc

Oh yeah they do.

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

no. Its a very dumb argument. Flaws all over.

19. jopatmc

It's very dumb for people to refuse to acknowledge the physical advantages Lebron has.

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

oh i acknowledge his physical advantages when its a 1 on 1 situation. When its a 1 on 3 situation, i would have to give the nod to the 3 defenders. Kicking out to open 3pt shooters is a good play. They are wide open