1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Spurs @ Rockets 3/18/2006

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 16, 2006.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

The guy is fools gold. The flashy dunks are fine, but besides that you get very little. I doubt he ever becomes a serviceable NBA starter, which means he will be gone over the summer. I'd keep Stro as a backup but nobody will take JH off our hands. One or both of them must be traded.

2. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Not sure which is more shameful: the Rockets going 0-12 in their division, or the 1000 or so Spurs fans at Toyota Center being louder than the Houston fans.

Eh, they are both pretty crummy facts. Besides, it's tough to work up the enthusiasm to cheer a losing team.

3. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

LOL! What about the guy who said Bogans could be our starting SG next year.

4. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Yeah I guess. Untapped potential can stay untapped for only so long...

To be fair to Stro and everyone on this team, when T-Mac went down, other than Yao, no one did well. Stro was really starting to put a few good games together before his pink-eye and then before T-Mac went down.

I just wish I could see him on the floor with T-Mac more often, because one game is not enough to condemn him, I think he was playing pretty good before this.

He hasn't lived up to the hype, but, we the people have a tendency to over-hype things.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

*edit* oops. My most recent post was about Bogans and I just saw my name and assumed apostolic3 was talking about Bogans. My bad. :D

#185 Williamson, Mar 18, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  6. choujie

choujie Member

Compare to SA, we have no size besides Yao, no speed, no shooting. Not a surprise to lose like this. Have no idea why Hayes doesn't get any minutes.

7. jeffjwang

jeffjwang Member

Any other NBA team didn't have any 3 pts in a game this season?

8. 12345

12345 Member

Rockets are still winless against teams in the division. :eek:

9. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

The flashy throw-downs just gave the wrong type of image to many Rockets fans in my opinion. People see powerful slams and a few highlight-reel blocks and develop an image of a tough-nosed, aggresive player that always finishes strong.

Swift tries to do well, but doesn't really seem to have a grasp on what's going on out there on the court. All things considered, he's actually pretty soft too....which is to be expected. The guy's only as big as some small forwards in this league. He just doesn't have the body to play with the big men out west night-in/night-out.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Look at the bright side, the Rockets outrebounded the Spurs 40-37 tonight.

11. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

The team scored less than 80 points AGAIN. Lets wait how our great coach blame the loss on defense AGAIN. Or we have no heart? Or no passion? Or no intensity?

Then they will have another 4 hrs film session to discuss how to achieve our mission of limiting our opponent to 75 points. DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

turnovers and a combined 8-32 shooting effort (bogans, rafer, brunson, & swift) didn't help.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We need a point guard who makes good decisions down the stretch. Alston has been dissapointing, to say the least, the last few games.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The atmosphere at Toyota made me ill. There were FAR more than a thousand Spurs fans there. Closer to 1 out of 5 in the crowd.

Evan

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Stro was a mistake for sure. I don't know what CD was thinking going after the guy so ardently, I watched the guy for 5 games at the beginning of the season and asked myself what does anybody see in his game. Erratic mid-range jumper, poor FT shooter, bad hands, plays soft, doesn't play with pain, foul prone, average rebounder, below average post game. I understand that SS is not highly regarded around the league so why did CD think this guy was the answer for us at PF.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

You know what, Juwan's stats in this game made Mr. Van Gundy look like a genius again. Kinda feel sorry for Stro -- what a waste of athleticism, he did have a couple of good plays though.

17. jlwee

jlwee Member

anyone still think yao is better than duncan???

Duncan delivered clutch shots after one and another donw the stretch...
    where is yao????

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

From to-night's game , I feel disgusted and ashamed of what I just saw. I have just changed my thinking completely about what needs to be done. Firstly FIRE the scouting team- Who ever scouted Swift -to play POWER FORWARD and Alston to play the Playmaker Point Guard must me blind, deaf and dumb and have a low basketball IQ. Secondly FIRE C. Dawson who executed our offseason trades and signings he is not working for the benifit of giving us a decent team, only trying to put on a show and making mucho dollars for Les.
    Thirdly FIRE Jeff Van Gundy, who can't coach a decent play on either end, and certainly can't make adjustments during the game, we are never going to win a championship with him at the helm. He can't even get Alston under control!
    Fourthly Les Alexander should decide to make a big effort to get us a younger athletic team. If he isnt interested in spending the extra money to do so then he should sell the team to owners that will make the effort. This means a major policy change. Surrounding Yao & Tracy with has been scrubs of yesteryear isn't going to make it,for example the signing of Berry was heralded as a great move and addition to our team, who were they trying to kid? Berry at his peak was only a scrub and Wesley was only a great roll player but ten years earlier and too much was expected from him in his declining years. We never seem to really be building for the future only for the present. Having a coaching staff that can't coach or develop young players is no good in to-day's game, so forget Larry Brown or Phil Jackson they can't, at this late stage of their careers, develop/coach. Last offseason there were several players available who could have helped the Rox but we wouldn't pay them 4mill/yr as we insisted on getting the cheapest players available.This philosophy must change, or we can only expect poor mans basketball in Houston.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Give me a break. This is really lame. The game has never been a contest for the Rockets since a few minutes into the 2nd quarter. What cluthness are you talking about?

Switch Yao and Duncan for their respective teams and Spurs will win outright.

20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

S. Swift 13:19 2-6 0-0 1-4 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 5 .

Wow. No boards, two fouls, 1 of 4 from the line, 33% from the field. And I gather the stats don't even capture his full suckiness.