1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020: What Are You Watching - Corona Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Mar 15, 2020.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Anyone else watched SNL season opener?

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I haven't seen it live or start to finish in years, but I watched Chris Rock's opening monologue a moment ago. Loved it!

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

8/10

Rocket River

Gabe0941 likes this.
  4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Utopia on Amazon 5-6/10. Its ok. You ever wondered what QAnon conspiracy nuts would look like as protagonists? That's basically this show.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Anyone watch Bill Burr host it? I'm fairly certain his monologue pissed off everyone....which is what you should expect when you hire Bill Burr to talk about things.

Rocket River and AleksandarN like this.
  6. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I'm going to have to check this out. Black Box was written and directed by Houstonian, Emmanuel Osei-Kuffour.

dookiester, Rocket River and Gabe0941 like this.
  7. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

I watched it last night based on his recommendation. Wife and I liked it.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did not know he was a Houstonian

I thought it was a cool movie

Rocket River

9. Buck Turgidson

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix. It is okay...decent action...decent storylines...but nothing spectacular and a bit cheesy at times. At this point in the stuck at home era, it isn't bad

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

gold diggers and gold-diggers. Nice one @Buck Turgidson! Sadly, that chart is accurate.

Started watching Future Man today. First two episodes were very entertaining.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Went down the Bill Burr rabbit hole for about 2 hours again just now. The SNL monologue wasnt even that "offensive". People b****ing just to b**** again. The dude is a national treasure.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I spent a decent part of this afternoon watching the complete 1936 serial of Flash Gordon. I saw this as a kid at the local movie theater (not in 1936), when it ran on Saturday mornings for 13 weeks (there are 13 short episodes, each ending with a cliffhanger). This was when housewives dropped their kids off to watch movies while they went shopping, had lunch, and did other things not involving their kids. It is even better than I remembered it. The actress playing Dale Arden is beautiful, as well as an excellent actress, and Buster Crabbe, who plays Flash, is perfect.

While watching it, I quickly realized just how closely the classic 1980 Flash Gordon flick with the Queen soundtrack followed this serial. There were other ones, but I think this was the first. Just shy of 4 hours running time (remember, 13 episodes), get yourself in the mood, sit back, and enjoy. I think I may be in love with Ms Arden. Don't tell my significant other. Thank you.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By chance I actually watched it a week or two ago, after listening to a few few E.E. "Doc" Smith "Lensman" audio books, which are very similar.

Buster Crabbe, despite sounding like a character from "The Little Mermaid" stared as BOTH Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I really get off to this classic stuff. It's like traveling in a time machine.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I guess as a respite from the political arguments and crime shows... SWMBO and I have been watching an old light comedy, The Gilmore Girls. OK, its now a guilty pleasure... Lauren Graham had a smoking bod and Alexis Bleidel was cute (had to check ages so I don't look too much like a pedo). Seriously, the two characters were cute, had a fun relationship and the writers added to it with quick and witty repartee. Some clunkers as side characters (eg a young Milo Ventimiglia in a really annoying role) but a few really cute supporting roles (Melissa McCarthy, Leiza Weil is a hilariously droll role, Sean Gunn as the town oddball, Yanic Truesdale). Some episodes may drone, but that happens over seven seasons.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

Been on a Star Trek binge last month. With 'rona out there, you never know with the things you waited on, if you have chance at it again.

Star Trek Discovery season 1,2 - grade: B+
    [​IMG]
    "Ten years before Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise, the USS Discovery discovers new worlds and lifeforms as one Starfleet officer learns to understand all things alien."

I didn't hate it as much as the critics, although I see why some of them had their quips. I waited (couple years?), and didn't have to high of expectations going in. So enjoyed the series. Lot of times it's your mindset before watching something.

I like the lead actor, she's from The Walking Dead. She made her lines work, even if some of the plot points were really meh. Season 2 > 1. One of the producers, also worked on the last batch of Star Trek movies, so there is lens flare galore. Cinematography: top notch, it's like watching a movie. They spent what like $4 mil an episode? It shows.

--------------------------------------------------
    PIcard - season 1 - grade: A-

[​IMG]

Exploring between Picard and Androids being outlawed. Slower paced than Discovery, movie like cinematography. Patrick Stewart, at his age, not sure how many left in him. So I'm appreciating this while we can still get it.

Star Trek Lower Decks -
    Season 1 grade: B

[​IMG]

"The support crew serving on one of Starfleet's least important ships, the U.S.S. Cerritos, have to keep up with their duties, often while the ship is being rocked by a multitude of sci-fi anomalies." About the crew that works at the lower decks.

Con: Have a bunch but the degree is more minor.
    • Lot of dialogue crammed, this type of animation style is modern. It may work on shows like Harley Quinn or Rick & Morty, but took me a while to get used to it since it's Trek.
    • Can tell the writers love the show, there's a bit of "Laughing at " Trek vs. "Laughing with " Trek. May rub fans off the wrong way.
    • Not a huge fan of the character drawing style.

Pro: it's reference heavy and technically the show is 'cannon'. ....And Badgey, show has some dark / edgy humor. Overall it's good. Should continue with it.

In the process of watching the classic Star Trek movies 1 - 6. I'm on #4 right now.

#578 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few days ago I felt a craving for sci-fi and started watching season 3 of The Expanse. I forgot how good that was, the story, the acting and effects.

jiggyfly and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Checking out HELSTROM
    on Hulu

Rocket River

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.