1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] James Harden's crazy stepback three over Kyrie and Tatum

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

He doesn't "get away" with these, the league ALLOWS the double step-back.

Just like they allow Bulldozer LeBron, KD's waiter dribble, Steph and Klay's illegal screen parade... etc.

Offense sells tickets.

Denovo, Richie_Rich, alethios and 4 others like this.
  2. anchel

anchel Member

Travel. His footwork is so good, quick and natural that makes it really hard to realize it live.

MiddleMan likes this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Well he did, so of course the haters are going to take the opportunity to discredit it.

IMO, highlighting that particular play actually hurts Harden because they will let that one play where he traveled define his entire game, while ignoring his overall excellent game.

Better to shove this one under the rug.

BigM likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Looked like a travel to me.

But I'll take it after the shocking change in officiating tone in that game after half time.

Since this was on such a big shot, though, the refs are going to get even more ammunition from this. Since they're going to take heat for not calling this one, I bet they'll start calling legitimate ones travels.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So weird...I've watched every game, and the three travels I can recall in last 12 months were all on national TV.

lulz

Deckard, J Sizzle, Hmc415 and 6 others like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

They really seem to be at key moments. I think Harden realizes instantaneously that a normal stepback isn't going to get him the separation he needs because someone's smothering him - and the refs are going to swallow their whistles on the travel and the defender's foul.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

james on that next level troll game getting deep into the minds of the haters on purpose :D

8. riko

riko Member

Under the interpretation of the rules that is a travellbut the same refs allow Durant and Lebron get away with it.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's a travel in the same way Lew Alcindor dunking at UCLA is offensive goaltending

10. Mr. Space City

Great shot by a great player.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Shot doesn't go in- NBA fans: good defense
    Shot goes in - NBA fans: its a travel

Rocket River and pippendagimp like this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I have a coworker who is otherwise pretty decent but if you mention Harden to him: “Every time he has the ball it’s a blatant travel!”

The coworker is from Minnesota, btw, so......

13. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

It was a travel. But it makes up for the other missed calls Harden didn't get.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I'm not usually the "that's a travel" guy, but that was a travel. Now ask me how much I care that it was a travel.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Guys, I think that may have been a travel.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

1 left foot
    2 dribble
    3 right foot (gather)
    4 left foot (1)
    5 right foot (2, pivot established)
    6 left foot/jumpshot inconsequential

It’s still not a travel. The man mastered this move and puts it right in people’s faces. Enjoy the greatness, there’s a reason a league full of the most coordinated basketball players and unique athletes aren’t doing the same thing. 1 they don’t have the skills, 2 they don’t have the guts, 3 they don’t bury the shot with the whole world on their back.

Kindly leave your rulebooks back in the 1950s.

s3ts, K mf G, DavidRocket and 3 others like this.
  17. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Did the travel happened after the foul?

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Travel or not (I thought it was but who cares)

Harden like Lebron, Steph, KD get to bend the rules just like Jordan Hakeem and a few other transcendent stars of the past.

It’s the way the nba has always been.

Nba players and fans need to get over it.

What fans don’t get is the way harden is officiated just like all the other guys I mentioned is EARNED.

He gets the Benifit of the doubt because if he didn’t harden would be at the FT line 25x a game same with kd and Lebron.

I don’t think fans realize that harden is just physically different like kd and Lebron.

He’s 6’5 and 240lbs with a 7 ft wingspan but moves and dribbles like a guy 6’2 200lbs.

That why I never understood the narrative that harden isn’t athletic. Did ppl not see him in okc dunking all over ppl and catching ally oops from Russ?

I’d understand if harden was 6’3 but he’s not he’s a monster at the guard position. He’s literally prob the strongest SG off alltime and I def don’t recall a guard that was 240lbs.

He’s just the complete package and his defense has been really good lately.

When he wants to he can lock up anyone.

19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

They’re already doing that in the comments on Instagram on the Rockets page.

20. Nook

Nook Member

BBall Breakdown can kiss my ass... they had the Warriors over the Rockets in 5 and were completely dismissive of the Rockets having any shot before the series started.

s3ts, pippendagimp, Smacktle and 4 others like this.