1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging BimaThug

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Hey everyone,

I was scanning the various threads (as always) and realized how in many of the threads there are questions about cap space, contract offers, etc. in the various threads where the poster asked for help from BimaThug, our resident capologist expert (and lawyer!). For example one thread today raised specific questions about how much the Rockets can offer Brewer next year.

Of course Bima responds regularly and constantly sheds light on those various topics (and other GARM posters have helped a lot too), but I didn't really see a thread to make Bima's life easier - instead of having twenty threads where there are calls to Bima, just like with the Cyberx thread, let's have a thread that Bima can regularly go to in order to see questions, if he's short on time (other capologists no doubt can have fun in the same thread too - or they can match knowledge against Bima, ha).

Bima updates on clutchfans can be linked to the thread too. All things Bima can't hurt, right?

As always, apologies if such a thread already exists - I haven't really seen one (moderators just lock it up if that's the case).

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Hello,

I am a moderator on this wonderful forum. Since you have a master race 2006 join date i will allow this thread to stay,

Warmest regards

Pull_Up_3 aka the GOAT poster

3. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

"He's the hero Clutchfans deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Red Nation Hero!"

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Im actually looking forward to whats our cap situation gonna look like going forward post-trade deadline. How the draft pick and different FAs we will have and cap space and flexibilty. Really wanna know his thoughts on the chances of retaining brewer and/or smith.

I just assumed he was going to do one of those badass write ups he does.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Much of this last article still is relevant after the trade deadline.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/8054/houston-rockets-salary-cap-update-4/

I assume there is no reason to really write a new article just to explain the Brewer situation because its more of the same with the Josh Smith situation.

Now the real interesting salary cap situation really comes into play with the McDaniels contract. That's the most interesting situation of the three even though he's not currently in the rotation. The Rockets gave up Canaan, and essentially 3 2nd round picks to get him & Prigioni. There is obviously reasons for picking up both players (Prigioni's partially guaranteed contract will be great for draft night trades, and Morey obviously has something up his sleeve with McDaniels).

I'm sure Bima has a write up coming as soon as he has all his ducks in a row, but for now there is still alot we can work with in regards to the last cap update.

Long story short- The Rockets either need to create cap room, or they need to get Smith, or Brewer to accept whatever is left of the MLE.... assuming there is still some left after the McDaniels contract is resolved.

My guess is the Rockets cap situation will be reshaped ONCE AGAIN after draft night a couple weeks before free agency begins. RIGHT NOW its tough to see Smith AND Brewer coming back, but we just have to wait and see what Morey does leading up to the draft if anything.

#5 dobro1229, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

There's a chance they can convince smith to take a small 1 year deal with the new TV money coming. I think brewer will be difficult to low ball.

7. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

#RedNationHero

8. bmd

bmd Member

You gotta use the signal:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Best way to stay in touch and get answers from Bima is twitter. I talk to him on a regular basis.

10. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

This is for us dinosaurs who don't use Twitter still.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thank you, OP, for thinking of me by creating this thread. I am truly humbled to join the ranks of "cyberx" and others who came before us in having a dedicated thread. I will endeavor to be the #RedNationHero you all so richly deserve!

Yep. Little has changed since my last cap update. Available 2015 cap room has changed very little. And barring a bunch of moves, it is making less and less sense to drop below the cap this summer.

The McDaniels situation bears watching. He is an Arenas Rule free agent (like Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik in 2012), so teams are limited in what they can offer him in the first year. However, the Rockets would need to dedicate their entire Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception to matching ANY offer, in which event (1) Houston would once again be HARD-capped at the apron level (as they were this year) and (2) there might not be anything left to re-sign Josh Smith, who would otherwise be limited to his Non-Bird rights amount of roughly $2.5 million for next year.

If the Rockets opt to stay over the cap (which is highly likely at this point), they can likely keep Brewer . . . if they're willing to pay the price. The Rockets have Early Bird rights on Brewer and can re-sign him to a starting salary of up to roughly $8 million.

Yep. I check Twitter far more often than I check ClutchFans. But I can still periodically check this thread (or other mentions of my name) to answer questions.

There are also several others on this BBS more than capable of answering almost anything asked of me. For instance, if aelliott answers your question, I would be shocked if he were wrong. (He and NIKEStrad were the capologists I deferred to before I studied up enough to know this stuff myself.)

2 people like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are already part of the greatest of the great on clutchfans

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Well, it looks likely that the rockets can keep Brewer, but the ability to keep Smith is another story.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only if he doesn't want the MLE, or most of it anyway. It would be very disappointing to lose Smoove, but losing Brew would be heartbreaking.

15. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Slightly off topic. Was anyone else super disappointed when they followed Bima on twitter to find out that he wasn't some badass thug capologist that looks like Snoop Dogg or something? I always envisioned him as this awesome thug with a backwards hat and dreadlocks, smoking a J as he analyzes all sorts of cap stuff.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

#RedNationHero

17. basketballholic

Thug stands for tree-hugger. ;)

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

One thing you leave out here is that the Rockets have "Early Bird Rights" for Brewer. This means they can exceed the cap to resign him for up to 175% of his current contract ... and since they are likely operating above the cap from the outset of the offseason , I don't see why they wouldn't bring him back tho probably not at 175% of his current salary .... I'd wager it is closer to 110%-125% of that current number for 2-3 years.

The situation with Smith is surely in question since to give him anything more than ~$2.5m they have to use the MLE and it appears they plan to use at least part of that on KJ McDaniels. Can they fit both players in that salary exception ??!

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

could this be another never ending thread?!

20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Bima,

I followed your back and forth with Sam Amick. I must say you handled that situation rather well, and instead of letting him run you off I think you did a great job of representing Rockets fans well. Props to you!