1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging BimaThug

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Nick Wright is the scum of the Earth.

2. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Bima I asked elsewhere but since this is your thread I thought I'd ask here:

1. Assuming we operate over the cap, which I have to believe is the case, is the most we can offer llull $15-16mm over 3 years (makes it a less desirable contract for him and I understand we lose some of that to sign Harrell)?

2. Can someone like brewer or terry be signed and traded to match salary so we can hang onto ariza in a sign and trade for LMA? Or can we acquire someone and aggregate that salary? And how much salary do we need to match? Isn't it that lma's salary of $19mm can be more than 150% of our outgoing salary (so we need to get to $12.5mm)?

As always thanks for the knowledge! You make me proud to he a lawyer haha.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

1. Rockets can offer Llull up to 3 years/$17.1 million or 4 years/$23.3 million using the Non-Taxpayer MLE. They can still sign Harrell to a two-year league minimum deal without touching the MLE.

2. Yes, the Rockets could sign-and-trade Brewer or Terry and conceivably avoid using Ariza in a S&T deal for Aldridge. But why would those guys agree to it? Terry wants to play for a contender, and Brewer can sign outright with any team with cap room. If Morey could pull that off, I'd be thoroughly impressed.

4. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Could the rockets possibly acquire enough non guaranteed deals to sign and trade for aldridge?

For example, could we trade jones to milwaukee for caron butler and a pick, then use it in a sign and trade?

I understand we would have to wait 2 months (which would be hell), but we could have a deal in place with aldridge and portland.

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Almost every decent-sized non-guaranteed contract (including Caron Butler's and Brendan Haywood's) will become guaranteed before that two-month period elapses. Papanikolaou's guarantee date (October 4) is really an anomaly.

6. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Ok I see. Would the normal expiring deals have any appeal to the blazers? I mean, they have to reach the salary floor somehow.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Wow didnt know that about haywood. So basically its a trading chip only for the cavs. A team cant acquire it to trade it its only to clear cap. That certainly limits by a lot their trading options. Thanx again bima.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Thats not a problem. They will go to free agency afterall. Plus they can always eat contracts like wallace or lee for picks.

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Well, Haywood is still a nice asset for other teams if they only need to take back $15.5M in salary (the most that most teams could take back for Haywood). It just falls a bit shy for over-the-cap teams to take back a max veteran (7+ years experience) demanding the ~$19 million max salary this summer.

1 person likes this.
  10. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Thanks! I tried to rep but apparently I need to spread around before I can rep again. I'll do so shortly. The 4 year deal would be a steal. I assume morey could, say, offer terry say $6m in year 1 followed by non-guaranteed subsequent years, and pay Portland some extra change to offset the cost. That would be how you add him. It's a lot more than get min.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In scenario 2, could we sign-and-trade Terry with enough cash to cover his salary, and have Portland wave him where he could sign with anyone including us in a wink-wink deal?

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

First off, teams can't include more than a total of $3.4 million in cash in any trades.

Second, players traded then waived cannot return to their prior team until that earlier to occur of one year or the end of their contract.

13. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

pardon my ignorance (annd I don't say this disrespecting the guy) but who the F is Nick Wright? should I know who he is?

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

610 sports radio host i think

15. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

Bima, Can the Rockets do a SnT for LMA without including Ariza?

16. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

See the above quote...

17. bmd

bmd Member

This douche:

[​IMG]

Hosts the morning radio show on 610.

1 person likes this.
  18. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Good question
    I made it myself.
    Papa + Prigs + Dorsey + T Jones + Dmo are not enough

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bima,
    I'm sure you are crazy busy, but I just re-read your salary cap update and was hoping you might be able to write a post about the options for fitting Aldridge under the cap...since it appears to be a somewhat legit possibility, and because he'd be a bigger get than even Dwight was (IMHO). If you've alread written such a post, would appreciate a link to it. Or if you tweeted it, I'm out of luck because I haven't tweeted or checked my account in almost 2 years (I don't know what I'm rebelling against...maybe I just hate this cellphone instant gratification micro attention span society...too deep? Yeah probably; let's stick to basketball :)

20. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Bima,
    If the Rockets get frustrated with Llull and wanted to trade his rights, how much would that fill, in terms of a trade? Is it the 2 Million they paid for him?