ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] The fascinating trade for Terrence Williams
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, houston, houston rockets, nba, terrence williams, trade Tags
Clutch is offline Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1097/h...illiams-trade/

I don't want to undercut threads about a topic... this is just an articles comments thread. Thanks... -Clutch

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
ABZERO is offline Old 12-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
ABZERO
ABZERO is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35875
Thanks! Great Read!

Don FakeFan is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Don FakeFan
Don FakeFan is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Sep 2010
Member: #47045
In the end, the 32nd pick Taylor, $2.5M and some more cash for absolutely nothing.........

R=$ is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
R=$
R=$ is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2004
Member: #15831
Clutch, any thought on the next big move?

ross84 is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
ross84
Contributing Member
ross84 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodross84 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35197
Von 2.0?

Rockets-R-Us is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Rockets-R-Us
Contributing Member
Rockets-R-Us is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: May 2001
Member: #2517
Nice job on the article Clutch!!

BasketballReasons is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
BasketballReasons
Contributing Member
BasketballReasons is Omer Asik -- working the boardsBasketballReasons is Omer Asik -- working the boardsBasketballReasons is Omer Asik -- working the boardsBasketballReasons is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32374
Quote:
This also appears to be another instance where the Rockets used NBA playing time to showcase a player for a deal. They did it with Tracy McGrady, who was not in the plans, and seemed now to do it with Taylor, who had just been moved to the rotation.
Then say bye-bye to PPat?

Chamillionaire is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Chamillionaire
Chamillionaire is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodChamillionaire is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32341
I thought this was a great trade. TWill looks like he can really ball, and with all the players we have who are foundamentally sound and play team ball, it`s good to get a guy who is as athletic, and aggressive as TWill. He looks like he will fill the stat sheet with everything from points to steals.

He is still young and probably will be better and better sooner than anyone we could have gotten with the pick.

I also like AB playing with TWill. They are great at doing completely different things from each other, I think they will compliment each other well.

Not worried about his off-court issues. He`s coming to a better team, better organization, a player`s coach.

Deuce is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Deuce
Contributing Member
Deuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDeuce is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #2940
Would it be funny if after cockblocking the Knicks in the Carmello pursuit by giving NJ ammunition to pounce (Rockets taking Williams off their hands), that it got the Knicks "desperate" again to improve their standing and Morey "helps" them with giving them their pick back by taking Randolph off their hands for their own 2012 pick? Talk about exploiting leverage!

Quote:
The Carmelo Angle
This move is likely a raising of the white flag in any Rockets pursuit of Carmelo Anthony, yet the Denver forward was the primary reason this move was made.

It is also the most fascinating angle of the move for me.

The Nets come away with two first round picks (one from Houston, the other from LA) and have now stockpiled five first rounders in the next two years. If Anthony is willing to go to the Nets, New Jersey is in a prime position — better than the one the Knicks are in — to make a move for Anthony. That was their main goal in making this move.

The Rockets are hardly unbiased in bolstering the Nets’ chances. If Anthony goes to the Knicks, the potential value of New York’s draft pick obligations to the Rockets goes down. Keeping Anthony away from the Knicks is in Houston’s best interest. The Rockets also still hold the linchpin — the Knicks 2012 pick — which, due to the Ted Stepien rule that says teams can not trade consecutive future first rounders, is preventing New York from being able to deal their 2011 and 2013 picks. Translation: Denver is likely to be more attracted to a Nets trade offer than one from the Knicks.

My guess is they were cursing Daryl Morey’s name at Knicks central Tuesday night.

Yet, where it gets more interesting: don’t rule out the Rockets and Knicks still talking. If the Rockets free New York from some or all of those obligations, then Houston doesn’t really care if Anthony goes there or not — but for the keys to the cuffs the price likely starts at Times Square.

“I think with this [acquisition of Dwight Howard], we move into one of the top teams in the West,” Morey said.
"Teams mistake at times like this when they make rash moves, rather than well thought-out moves.
My concern is our playoff team coming in has chance to beat every other team in the playoffs; it’s not on having the best team in the league July 6, 2013.”

Raven is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
I don't mind this trade as much now that I know the pick is lottery protected.

And the kid looks rather beastly in that video.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...sg=T+E+X+A+N+S

rockets934life is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
rockets934life
Contributing Member
rockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28025
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredv
Then say bye-bye to PPat?
Didn't they do the same with Dorsey? Play him for a game or two and BAM!!!

I have a feeling one of our PFs will be in a different uniform rather shortly.

“We were all told by the league he was a tradeable player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now they’re saying that Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put in to make that deal"

Commodore is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Commodore
Contributing Member
Commodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #28812
Clutch I mentioned this before but do you have a high resolution version of this sweet Brooks/Lowry picture from your last blog entry?

Would make a nice wallpaper.

LongTimeFan is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
LongTimeFan
Contributing Member
LongTimeFan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLongTimeFan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLongTimeFan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLongTimeFan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLongTimeFan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLongTimeFan is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 2001
Member: #3172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Would it be funny if after cockblocking the Knicks in the Carmello pursuit by giving NJ ammunition to pounce (Rockets taking Williams off their hands), that it got the Knicks "desperate" again to improve their standing and Morey "helps" them with giving them their pick back by taking Randolph off their hands for their own 2012 pick? Talk about exploiting leverage!
the Knicks would have done that deal yesterday. Morey declined, wanting "lottery protection" on the Knicks pick he was sending back to them.

Apparently Morey thinks the chance that the Knicks return to the lottery with Amare and Carmelo is enough to warrant not dealing for Randolph. Yay Morey.

Hoping for Austin Rivers..

devilsdandruff is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
devilsdandruff
devilsdandruff is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43110

tinman is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
All in all, I like this move. Once upon a time the Rockets scooped up a guy with some character issues in Vernon Maxwell at a bargain price (just cash), and I’d say it paid off. This move isn’t the one that catapults the Rockets to championship contention, but it is a shrewd gamble with a similarly high ceiling on the reward.
Drop some history on 'em Clutch!

saitou is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
saitou
saitou is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13384
If we trade them back their 2012 pick for AR, are they then allowed to trade to us their 2013 pick as part of the same trade as well?

SmoothOperator is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
SmoothOperator
Contributing Member
SmoothOperator is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2002
Member: #4332
Never heard of him before today, but seems like an intriguing player. In his rookie season he had a 14 assist game and a couple of 13 rebound games.

That's not to mention a triple double as well. His career high in assists is higher than Lowry's and that was playing on a bad team.

Hopefully, he's not too much of a head case. It's hard to think of swingmen that have strong rebounding and assist capabilities for comparison. Quitten?

IceMan is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
IceMan
IceMan is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don FakeFan
In the end, the 32nd pick Taylor, $2.5M and some more cash for absolutely nothing.........

I actually think Morey did extremely well in this deal. Williams has the potential of being a high impact player, and the 1st we gave NJ is lottery protected.

JT is a selfish player who can't be part of any team. he simply doesn't "get it". he's all athlete and zero brains.

Williams on the other hand, is an elite athlete who actually has a Basketball IQ as well. Sure, he's immature, but when you really watch him play,. he's actually a very smart player.

If D-league stats count for JT, then please look at what Williams did in his 3 games there. he didn't sulk, he simply dominated in every way possible and showed his incredible talent. 29 pts, 11+ RB, 10+ assists??? are you kidding me?

H-Rockets is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
H-Rockets
H-Rockets is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #31263
igoudala 2.0 ???

Jeff Who is offline Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
Jeff Who
Jeff Who is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30950
Don't like the trade although it will be nice to add some athleticism to this team.

But I have a problem with Terrence.

1) He has a loser mentality.
2) He takes bad, sometimes horrible shots and it seems like he is only playing for his stats.
3) He is another good perimeter player. Just that.

But maybe he can change his attitude in Houston.