1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The fascinating trade for Terrence Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. vince

vince Member

Great Article... You should teach the Chronicle writers how to write what fans are eager to read about. Because that article was so intelligently written. It was respectful in all ways too.

Again 5 star read...

2. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

I'm hoping it's more like Ron-Ron 2.0. Only young enough to learn new tricks, and not command a starting spot. :grin:

3. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Has Bud's defense improved?

Honestly, I think even if he's good and out of his slump, we don't have the same urgent need for Bud's offense we did last year. What with Battier+Lee+Brad all being serviceable 3pt shooters, Bud is starting to be redundant.

Great player, but I think the writing is starting to be on the wall for him... :(

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Bima, for you to be a lawyer, you sure believe alot more of what you hear than what you see,lol. Most lawyers I know are skeptics, including the one on my payroll. Every player traded for was rated higher and on the radar. The p.r. machine keeps rolling. Now I will say this, I like williams alot. He is what they dont have,versitility. Other than jeffries, the rockets dont have guys who are effective at 2 positions which limit the coach. I think this is a direct reflection of chase.

If you look at the rockets,the only 3 the had was shane. Martin and lee are 2's and chase isnt quick enough to guard 2's or strong enough to guard 3's. Williams is a player who can do both at both positions. He basically eliminates the need to have chase,courtney,and taylor on the roster. Dumping chase or lee also shortens the rotation and gives consistency to the team.

In regards to **** blocking the knicks, they're gonna hold their water. That doesnt mean the Nets will with firepower of picks they have, but favors has more double doubles than lopez. Its starting to look like the kid is getting it.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Then you're double counting by saying we gave up JT and the cash. Pick one or the other.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Derrick Favors has 2 double doubles... Yes, technically that is more than Lopez's 1 double double. Not sure it means he is "getting it" though. Not that I disagree with anything else you said, but that just came off as funny.

7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Morey pulling off another blindside trade stunt. Great job.

He is a true all around complementary player with great athleticism, length and can defend. He looks like he can fill the hole Ariza left on our team at SF but with possibly more all around game and youth. (it also give JTaylor a chance to get playing time somewhere else, so the Rox took care of him and sent him off to help his career since we couldn't do that for him here)

Until we get a star, upgrades are always welcome.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has shown some improvement and some where he slumped his shoulders etc....got to fight through that, he is maturing, sometimes we forget he is only 22 years old.

If he can hit that 3ball and be consistent off the bench we need him, he is sort of like KMart light with the 2nd unit the only catch and shoot player on that unit.

DD

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I love it. Dont know he is a star player. Do think he is almost certainly a valuable player who will be decnt at least. You keep getting good players? Eventually you can cash them all in one day for the top talents. Maybe we hit on a young guy if we keep stockpiling?

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the rockets have done a nice job developing good shooters. (landry, lowry, even hayes has come a long way). i think at the very least he will learn the corner 3. thats all you need to spread the floor.

truth is, with his dribble and passing ability he is most dangerous in a high p&r set. drive the lane and kick it out to the shooters. as long as he plays defense, attacks the rim and finds the open man he can be very effective right now. its just a matter of seeing if he can follow the coach's game plan.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Twill is the best Point Forward the Rockets have had since McGrady.

12. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

@BeMagicJK21: @TheRealTWill lol you tried the blue didn't work out so now its back to red..
    Twitter - 2 hours ago

:grin:

13. theREALDEALkid

Terrence Williams was my Fav. player in College coming out of Louisville, they were predicted to take it that year too.

But he's definately a good player and can handle the ball, hope he excels on rockets

14. rocketshopeful

This statement sounds great, but my only concern, and perhaps premature, is that the lottery picks of that draft are pretty weak relative to years past (excluding 2010 since I don't know what to think this early in the season). I count 4 impact players from that draft:

http://www.nba.com/draft2009/

blake griffin
    tyreke evans ( who I think is vastly overrated)
    stephen curry
    brandon jennings

where as 2008 had closer to 6 maybe 7

http://www.nba.com/draft2008/

and 2007 had 5 or 6
    http://www.nba.com/draft2007/

Again, it is probably too early to judge the 2009 class, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Hill and Terrence Williams are just high draft picks that appear to have value due to a weak draft. I hope I am wrong. In fact, I really like what I have seen in Jordan Hill's progress so far. Hope it continues.

Yea, lot's of hoping going on, hence the username ;)

15. ThaShark316_28

Its drafts in that past that wish it was that good. Like 2000 and 2001.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sweet, he's gonna get Scottie Brooks old number?

1 person likes this.
  17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Okay, then.

Nice post. I especially liked it how you ever-so-subtly (and in NOOO way gratuitously) snuck it in that you have a lawyer on your payroll. I am certain that was in no way an attempt to belittle me.

( :p It's all cool, though.)

AAAANYWAY, . . .

I am very much a skeptic. Hell, I was one of the first to jump on the fact that Morey was probably not so high on Jordan Hill when the Rockets traded for him, despite what the Rockets PR department was saying. However, I DO pay attention to players in whom Morey and the Rockets have apparent interest. And when the Rockets subsequently (maybe a year or two later) trade for those very same players, I can weigh the facts, factor in my observances over time, and then calculate my own opinion as to whether certain comments made by Morey are true or not.

For instance, I firmly believe that the Rockets traded for Courtney Lee, first and foremost, because they thought he was flat-out a better basketball player than Trevor Ariza. Did that trade save Les some serious coin? You bet your ass, it did. But that was a secondary benefit from the trade. A very important benefit; but a secondary one nonetheless.

I also saw how Morey was tracking certain players leading up to the 2009 NBA Draft. I honestly was not the least bit surprised that the Rockets selected Jermaine Taylor at #32 when they bought their first pick. He had been in for multiple workouts before the draft, and he fit the mold of a Von Wafer replacement.

Terrence Williams was, and still is, a bigger, better, more versatile version of what the Rockets were looking for in Taylor. If Morey could have bought a high enough first round pick (most likely impossible given that lottery picks don't get sold for straight cash), he would have selected Williams.

Is Daryl Morey motivated, in part, by PR considerations? Sure, he is.

Does he constantly go out of his way to make comments that are flat-out false for that reason. I don't think so. He is crafty enough to step around a question rather than to be a bold-faced lier. I think Morey is one of the more honest, open GMs you'll see in professional sports.

I don't think I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. I am simply choosing to accept comments made AFTER factoring in other evidence and weighing them in their entirety.

1 person likes this.
  18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I've checked out his twitter and he seems pretty excited to join the team! Already has a photoshopped Rockets jersey picture and everything, I think he's glad to be out of NJ and get another shot.

19. hm70

hm70 Member

New Iggy...
    Welcome to Rocket!!! T-Will

1 person likes this.
  20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That's what I see. I cheaper, younger Iggy. I actually think he has the potiential to be even better.