1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The fascinating trade for Terrence Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

I don't see how he is going to get playing time.. Chase lit it up last night and appears to be finally coming around... I don't see him sticking around for very long

2. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

please don't feel Don Fake Fan the troll. Just check his post history.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm concerned. Terrence Williams from what I've seen is not a team player and not good enough to be "the closer".

4. liljojo

liljojo Member

When talking about trades and such, I sometimes have an urge to forget what's best for the team and focus on raping the Knicks as hard as possible.

Im not sure why.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

You mean Chase "Ole'" Budinger? If he's not hitting shots, he brings negative to the table. If Williams can keep his head on straight, looks like Budinger will take on the Matt Bullard garbage time role that he likes to talk about.

7. Htown's2kFinest

Totally agree with this. He is much to talented and skilled to be riding the pine. Like Morey said he's was a top 10 talent in the draft. Not the same with Hill, who he had much lower on the board. In all honesty Twill should've been drafted higher than Hill. He's now "our" 1st round pick if you can say and if a player as raw as Hill can get minutes from Adelman, Terrence Williams should be getting show too.

8. wakkoman05

wakkoman05 Member

That's what I'm thinking. Finally we can get another guard who has handles.

9. IceMan

IceMan Member

Any player that can defend 3 positions a=well is automatically a good team player. I won't hold it against him that he isn't "the closer" just yet, as he's a kid and we didn't give up much for him either.

lol, you're worried because he's isn't "the closer"?

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Really good analysis, especially this point:

Bingo.

I think in the near term, the trade makes the Knicks a little more desparate to get their pick back and seeing as how this team has been pursuing Anthony Randolph, I wouldnt be surprised to see another move involving the Knicks 2012 pick and Randolph along with a few other pieces. The pick was a chip that could have turned out golden, but at this point it means far more to the Knicks and their chances of getting Melo than it does to us.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not so sure I want him to change it TOO much. Sure, he needs to show up on time and be a team player, but the one thing this team has been lacking since Ron-Ron, Ariza and Wafer departed is attitude.

I'm usually real big on having character guys and team players, and hate knuckleheads. But this year's squad is the first NBA team I can ever remember seeing that has ALL nice guys. Hell, we've got the nicest team in NBA history! And we all know where nice guys finish, right?

Williams gives us a much-needed injection of attitude, and I hope the rest of the guys don't give him noogies in the locker room and take him out for crepes and tea until he becomes a nice zombie like the rest of them. We need MEAN right now.

12. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

hopefully his spokes dont "blow" out like Clyde said last night ;)

13. RocketMania1991

Big fan of Williams. Guy has some serious hop and All-Star potential.

He is the exactly the type of talent/player this team needed.

14. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Nice College Mix
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H34EC22UKX4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H34EC22UKX4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Rookie Year (NBA)---don't know if it's been posted
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0nRXOgbiMk8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0nRXOgbiMk8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

15. harryrms

harryrms Member

Or, he may not value Randolph that much to remove that protection.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Good catch on the Vernon Maxwell comparison. That's exactly what this feels like. Defense-first player that can explode on offense for huge production or shoot his team out of game, with a bit of an attitude problem. Picked up on the cheap because he had worn out his welcome with his previous team. Let's just hope that it works out as well.

17. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

Nice article Clutch.

But besides Melo.. there is no star or superstar comes to mind who may become available for trade before the dead line ..

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you know this team needed a guy like this we have several all out hustle guys like Scola, Shane. Lowry, Hayes and all but need a little "crazy" now and then...crazy usually kills if there is too much of it but having a little bit can pay dividends.

i think shane said something along the lines of "having one donkey is not a problem and fun but having two is because then they start breeding" when the team acquired Artest.

good move even at a good price I feel the upside for this guy far outweighs the potential loss which is losing a lotto protected 1st round pick...

also i am not going to be that quick to write him off just yet his rookie year he played for one of the worst teams ever i am sure that can wear on you a lot esp as a rookie and then having avery johnson (who IMO is vastly overrated) as a coach who puts people in the dog house way too easily.

He has an opportunity to be part of a class organization with a HOF-type head coach I am excited to see what he'll do with it, will he take advantage and blossom into a great player for the team or will he continue to take the easy way out and end up being another "what a waste of potential and talent" guys

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I liked everything you said in the article, the only minor disagreement I have is in Morey's ability to flip multiple assets for a star player.

I don't think there are really any worth doing that for, and I honestly feel the Rockets have far too many players now, and that it will cause some serious chemistry issues over playing time.

DD

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You know, I don't really know... I think they can go in a variety of directions, just as they could before this move. All I think we learned 100% is that Carmelo to Houston is out. They can stand to upgrade just about any position. But they will make a trade. They're bubbling over at this point with rotation players and DNP-CDs doesn't help the team or trade value. If you have games where any of Aaron Brooks, Kevin Martin, Courtney Lee, Kyle Lowry, Shane Battier, Chase Budinger or Terrence Williams get 0 minutes, how is that maximizing value? Waste.

But they're adding youth... I think Yao's health and next 8 weeks of play will decide for them which direction they go.

Well said! My feeling exactly... and I'm sure the Rockets and Knicks will continue to talk. They have to ... Morey really has them in a tight spot.

I love Kelly's work and he makes valid points... maybe they could pursue Paul instead (but Felton has been great for them). I just disagree that they don't need Carmelo. They are playing well right now, but the Heat trio is 26 years old and will be there for years. I think a Carmelo-Stoudemire-Felton trio at least gets them in the conversation with the Heat and aging Celtics.