1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The fascinating trade for Terrence Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

I remember being so bummed that we didn't have a pick, turns out it didn't matter.

I think there are three possible outcomes:
    1) Terrence blossoms and we ship out Battier and Budinger for a starting 3. With Williams as the backup
    2) Terrence blossoms, we ship out Battier or Budinger for a Center.
    3) Doesn't work out with Williams, he barely plays, Battier nor Budinger are traded.

So basically, if it doesn't work out with this guy, it's okay because we still have two other guys to play the 3 spot. Should be interesting to see the rotation when Yao and Brooks come back.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have never been happier that the Rox are in the Western conference than I am now.....aging LA, Dallas and San Antonio....if Morey pulls the right trigger we could be contending fairly quickly as others age....

But, I agree, something has to be done with all these players, we have more than 12 legitimate Rotation players....heck, we have 15....

Amazingly deep....but as you said, worthless if we can't flip them.

DD

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Interesting point of view, I haven't yet thought of this move yet from that angle. You dont neccesarily need "bad boys" but what you need is a pit-bull like mentality if you are going to compete with the Titans in the West.

I do think we do have some pit-bulls on this team but the ones the Rockets have are somewhat limited in their abilities. Chuck Hayes is a pit-bull. Lowry is a pit-bull. I wouldn't really consider Ariza and Wafer as having that mentallity thought, but Ron Artest definitely gave the Rockets an edge that they desperately needed to compete with the best team in the League for seven games.

We know that Yao Ming, Scola, Kevin Martin, and AB are very gifted basketball players but what they might be missing is someone who gives them that edge they are missing. Hopefully Terrance Williams can give them that edge but if he is just a knucklehead who doesn't help them win then I don't want him just because he has attitude.

1 person likes this.
  4. Coca Cola Scola

Is 6'6" really a good size for a small forward?

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Great great read Clutch.

6. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Is he playing tonight?

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

better than you have non rotation player but scrubs

8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Good point DD, agree 100%

9. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

If they get a Randolph from NY for their own pick look at our future:

Brooks (age 25) Lowry (age 24) Smith (age 22)
    Lee (age 25)
    Williams (age 23) Budinger (age 22)
    Randolph (age 21) Patterson (age 21)
    Hill (age 23)

Leaves us with 2 spots SG and C where Morey can be aggressive and pursue all-stars at both positions, and with assets like Martin, Scola, Yao, Chuck, and Shane (who are all 27 yrs+) dont sleep on DM

10. Sanity2disChaos

Classic....LMAO!!

11. Htown's2kFinest

Williams is gonna bring the Toyota Center down!

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm saying that he's not good enough to not be a team player. But on the Nets he plays and jacks up shots like he's Kobe or Melo.

13. Egghead

Egghead Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WTDjnxXjnis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WTDjnxXjnis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

learning from "The Glove"

2 people like this.
  14. opticon

opticon Member

Muscle mass is huge factor. Martin is 6'7 but because of low weight and Muscle mass he can really only play and guard the 2 spot.

TWill is pushing 220 in comparison Kevin Martin is 185. The way these guys train I can almost guarantee you that extra 25 pounds he has is all muscle.

Also Cory Maggetter is the same height and only ways 5 more pounds and plays small forward as aswell.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. I know you allude to it, but don't forget that Kevin Martin is only 27 years old.

Given all this youth (many of whom are either lottery picks are would be taken in the lottery if their respective drafts were re-done), I don't understand some people's fascination with NEEDING to hold onto future first round picks in the mid-term (pre-2013).

16. 523744

523744 Member

I know some y'all might not be big on the twitter thing, but im following terrence willaims (TheRealTWill), and one small thing i noticed is his tweet from last night. lol he tweeted "good game felllass" nets and louisville both lost so im assuming he means the rockets!

I dont know but it's the little things that show he is excited about going to a better situation and happy to be here, and he already feels a part of the team. Oh yeah and i forgot c. lee played with him last year so at least he is comfortable with one of our players.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad that Morey didn't take the bait for Randolph. He hasn't proven anything as yet on the court.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No obvious ones, I agree ... but we may be surprised by what happens between now and the February deadline. May have to settle for upgrades rather than superstars. They need a 2-for-1 type deal badly. I used Jeff Green of Oklahoma City as an example in the past, though not sure if that applies now.

Funny -- was talking about that this morning. Very valid question... no I don't think that's great height for a SF, but I think of Williams as versatile enough to be a 2/3. So when I said he has "good size" I was thinking of that versatility to play both positions rather than a true three.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Now there ya go, an incremental upgrade, I could see something like that, where you give up 2 for 1 etc, but doesn't this team need to give up more than just a 2 for?

I mean we have 15 NBA level rotational players, what about Yao?

Clutch, one serious question, do you think the team would go after Thabeet? And what does Memphis need, could this be a prelude to a trade with them?

Thanks in advance.

DD

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Nice analysis, at this point I would be ready to move out Chase, whose play looks like he is coming back to his 2nd rd. draft status.

Hopefully, TWill can play up to his 1st round ability, if you're a young player who hasn't proved anything like TWill clashing with your coach is going to get you traded 9 times out of 10 and maybe the Rox got lucky and picked up a young talent because he just couldn't get along with his coach.