1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Dragic, Lowry, both or keep both?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Mar 21, 2012.

?

What would you do?

1. Trade Lowry?

93 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. Trade Dragic?

14 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Trade Both?

15 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Keep both?

160 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

In every thread about either Dragic or Lowry people are saying 'Trade Lowry while value is high' or trade Dragic for such & such.

In our anxiety to have a star big man (it's the Houston way!) we all want the front office to make a big splash in Free agency or a trade.

So here it is, assuming we can get a big man / star for either of our star point guards, would you:
    Trade Lowry and Keep Dragic?
    Trade Dragic and keep Lowry?
    Trade both
    Or
    Keep both?

In comments, please explain why you chose the way you did, and if you voted to keep both, who would you like to see start?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do what you have to do to add better talent.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

trade for superstar

4. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I agree, but voted to keep both. Why?
    Because it would be great to have two awesome point guards on the roster, if we can add someone decent in free agency.

Reality is that one may have to go in order for us to facilitate a trade for a superstar big man.

It's like asking which of your children do you love best?

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Why is keep both even an option?

There is a slim to none chance of that happening.

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I would trade Lowry while his value is sky high. Dragic is playing just as good and Dragic always pushes the ball and puts pressure on the Defense. That kind of play wears out other teams as they try to get down the court to stop the easy fast breaks.

If we can keep Dragic at a contract similar to Lowrys for 4 years and bring Llull over, we will be just fine at the PG position.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No way you can keep both, it would be a toxic situation similar to Brooks, neither of them will want to come off the bench, and rightfully so.

Trade Lowry - Dragic is quicker, taller, more athletic, and can create shots for himself and others.

Lowry is a better 3pt shooter, rebounder, and bowling ball type of competitor.

Dragic is simply the more skilled player.

Give me the taller, more athletic, more skilled player every day of the week.

DD

1 person likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Keeping both isn't an option unless we seriously overpay for Dragic. Some team will offer Dragic a starting job.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

That's true, but keep in mind that Dragic is currently better than Lowry was when Lowry signed his contract. Back then, Lowry had an inconsistent jumper.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

funny how about a month ago Lowry was considered absolutely untouchable

11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I love Kyle Lowry as a basketball player. He's intense, he hustles, and he has heart. But the drop off between Lowry and Dragic isn't that large, and Dragic, arguably, has better upside. Dragic produces at a similar clip to Lowry, but he does it without constantly sacrificing his body. And it seems like when the going gets really tough, Dragic is better about keeping a cool head. I've seen Lowry start playing poorly when he feels like the refs aren't officiating fairly. In my opinion, we should try to move Lowry for an athletic, rebounding power forward who can score and would be an upgrade over Scola. Josh Smith comes to mind. I don't think he would be a back pick up. Of course, I cringe when he shoots jumpers, but if we could trade Lowry for Smith, and resign Dragic, we'd be in a very good position.

12. arjun

arjun Member

That kind of play also wears out the player. Dragic is playing great but he can't play months and months like this. Look at Kyle Lowry, he played really hard, just like Dragic now, and then hit a wall for a couple weeks where he just looked very average.

If we had Dragic as our starting PG for a whole season I'm sure we'd see many ups and downs.

With that being said, if the right deal comes our way in the offseason for Lowry I think we have to jump on it while his value is high...and hope Dragic improves physically so that he can keep up this style of play consistently over a full season.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Keep both, if you can. Ideally, one or the other will accept the reserve role and flourish in that role. The problem is that the pattern this year is for one or the other to play well, and not both in the same game. That needs to change, and I don't see why it can't.

14. Pete the Cheat

I agree with your analysis, but I would also add Lowry is the more natural point guard, while Dragic is more of a true scorer.

I lean towards Kyle because I think he executes half court sets more effectively. Goran is free-wheelin and seems to make up a lot on the fly (not a bad thing)...but that can work against you in the waining moments when its all about execution

15. davidio840

That is a good point. It will be interesting to see if we can resign him. I don't know who I would sign first though, Dragic or Lee?

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets should make their "big splash" in this years draft. Trade Lowry for a 1st and 2nd round pick. The draft is pretty much equal from 17-35.

17. davidio840

This is true, but I think Dragic is better equipped for that kind of play. I don't think Lowry has the stamina that Dragic has (see Steve Nash). I am not saying Lowry cannot do the same thing but Lowry has more weight to carry around than Dragic does. Dragic also played soccer like Nash did so those guys can run circles all day long

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

DD.. You're right on point.

T_Man

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Dragic is a UFA. he can't be traded anymore. the poll is in error.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Keep them both if you can.

No one is getting traded.

Either Dragic walks, or he decides to stay put. Hopefully he likes it here, but I won't hold it against him for chasing a payday.

And who has this insider info that says Dragic isn't ok with coming off the bench?

A 3 man rotation with Lowry, Lee and Dragic would all see them logging significant minutes. They would practically be interchangeable, as Dragic and Lowry pair well together.

6th man of the year potential.

1 person likes this.