1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Dragic, Lowry, both or keep both?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Mar 21, 2012.

?

What would you do?

1. Trade Lowry?

93 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. Trade Dragic?

14 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Trade Both?

15 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Keep both?

160 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would like to know where is this superstar big man that everyone is waiting for. Dwight is staying Orlando, last i heard. There is no one else left worth going after for a while. Times like these are perfect for the draft.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Then trade Lowry for a top pick in the draft, that is how Ray Allen was traded.

DD

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

He can be signed to a contract and then traded in accordance with new CBA time restrictions, ala Nene. The poll never specified a specific time of when to trade, therefore your argument is invalid.
    A rep will count as apology.;)

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I voted "trade Lowry", but it's not really that simple. Saying "trade Lowry" implies wanting to just get rid of him. I like Lowry and am happy with him as our starting point guard.

That said, his combination of production with an excellent cheap contract makes him our best trade asset, and we desperately need to move the organization forward.

Dragic is not a trade asset at all. But could be re-signed in the offseason and would make a capable starting PG to go with whatever impact player Lowry brought back.

So I would phrase it "trade Lowry for an impact player or top 5 draft pick".

5. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I just find it amazing how Morey always seems to find hidden gems from other teams.

6. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I would hope we can keep both. What is wrong with Dragic coming off the bench to be that spark? Like manu did in SA for a couple of years, like Terry is for Dallas. It works. He can still get a lot of minutes, doesn't have to be a "starter". He can get paid since guys like Patterson, Parsons and Morris are still on rookie contracts and we will have some cap space.

I think this summer they need to focus on finding a legit SF. Bud is just not getting it done. Parsons and Dragic off the bench together with the 2nd unit would be good. Not sure what we have in Morris, but I guess a full summer will give us a better idea.

7. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

This.
    I'd rather see Martin traded than Lowry and keep Lowry-Lee-Dragic as our three man rotation at PG/SG. But then again, Lowry is probably worth a lot more than Martin at this point, so if a great deal to trade Lowry for a star comes along you'd really have to look at it...

8. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

playing behind nash a few years wasn't so bad was it?

dragic's energy off the bench is what has kept this rockets team in games when lowry sits. and man is he fast! he pushes the pace.

our pg tandem might be the best in the league - it's really been our team strength this year.

keep both lowry and dragic! (unless the 'right' player-trade comes along in which case ya gotta do what ya gotta do)

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Given recent events, of course 50% of people will vote for Lowry.

Two months ago I'd bet 50% would vote for Dragic.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Dragic is a UFA. He can leave if he wants. I honestly don't remember the time line between the draft and the signing period for FA's. Trading Lowry might be like playing Russian roulette. It would be tragic if we went into next season without either of them.

11. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

I love Lowry and Dragic and it would be awesome if we could keep them both but that being said I am sure dragic will have plenty of teams trying to acquire him...so the question is will we be able to keep him at a favorable contract? If we can sign him to around same pay as Lowry then that would be great! If his price is couple mill more I would sign him and as others have said trade him for high draft pick...let's face it superstars don't want to come here so the draft is the best place to look...let's get Bradley Beal!!!

12. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Amazed at the poll result. Simply jaw-dropping.

Look, I like Goran Dragic a lot. He should be starting somewhere. I don't think it's fair to keep him as a back-up point guard. That said, I don't think he should be replacing Kyle Lowry. Lowry is the biggest bargain at PG in the NBA (except some guys on rookie contracts) and a hot streak from Dragic doesn't change that. I still feel Lowry is the better player, and I think folks here are a bit caught up in Gorsanity.

I don't want to trade Lowry. People easily forget how he began the season, threatening to get a triple double just about every night. I'd rather that Lowry than the current Dragic because he adds more defense, as well.

I don't want Dragic to remain here as a back-up, simply because it isn't fair to him. Also, I don't think we should use our cap space to sign someone to play back-up, either.

I don't want to dump both because then we won't have a PG. That's just silly.

So the last remaining option is to "trade" Dragic, which we can't really do since he's an unrestricted free agent (except via sign-and-trade).

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think Dragic and CLee will each be gotten for around the MLE... I say retain them both... ship KMart - and then cover pg/sg with the three guys each gettin around 30 min/game..

Then all ya gota do is package KMart/Scola/pick for an upper level pf (JSmith), draft a young center, add a bu sg, and we're set....

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

You wouldn't trade Lowry without a handshake agreement with Goran to re-sign

15. delta69er

delta69er Member

I don't think Dragic was a hidden gem...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LLWjQ7nZTkI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

People overvalue Dragic's defense, IMO.

Yes, he's good at press coverage and gets under some guys' skin.

But he is often out of position and can be a revolving door to the lane sometimes.

It's high-risk high-reward defense. He's also often in foul trouble.

Lowry is the exact opposite. He is a grinder and had good lateral movement. The Chuck Hayes of point guards.

Dragic's style of play (uptempo) is a perfect compliment to Kyle's diesel engine and Courtney's versatility.

I really, really hope we can keep him.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nah ... i still think it's misleading. how bout this, i will find another of your posts to rep;)

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't really see what you're saying at all. I feel like it's the opposite.

I remember a number of games where Lowry kept getting beat off the dribble by a quicker PG and we'd bring Dragic in who would shut the guy down. I also remember a lot of Lowry getting out of position on help defense, trying to save Scola's butt.

Lowry is never going to get outmuscled and he's one of the best at getting in an opponent's face who is equal or lesser to his quickness. But he also gets beat badly sometimes by lighter, faster guys.

Dragic's strength to me is that he really stays with his man and plays great fundamental 1 on 1 defense.

19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

We can Amnesty Kevin Martin right? If so, amnesty his ass and sign Dragic and Lee. I'd say ship out Scola and a pick for another PF but I don't really have a problem with Scola's game. If we have Dalembert and Camby next year then we can make some noise in the playoffs. PPatt is also starting to come into his own. I like how we are going to him in the post a lot

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What sample size are you pulling this from?

That was certainly not the case last year. He hit a little bit of a funk around the New Year, obviously tired. And was playing on borrowed time the last several games before he went out. Turned out to be ill.

People around here have such short-term memories it seems.