1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs fans worrying about Parsons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 18pbr, Nov 25, 2014.

1. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Parsons is not a deadeye on open 3's, and he is a significantly worse shot creator than Dirk or Ellis. He's also a mediocre defender. He's a good solid player, but it's hard to think of any other team's starting small forward where Parsons would clearly win the matchup.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

This era's Rashard Lewis. Except at least Rashard Lewis had those two years in Seattle during which he was a star.

3. HTM

HTM Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Exactly. When you have two dominant players like Howard and Harden commanding almost complete focus from opposing teams defenses... A player like Parsons is going to get a lot of easy looks. Imagine what his 47% fg percentage last season could of been if he actually could finish a layup consistently?

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My memory of Chandler is that he was a very streaky 3 point shooter. He would go weeks being pretty cold and then suddenly be hot for weeks. Could just be a slow start for him from behind the line. The rest of his stats are probably in line with what they can expect from him. I don't know why anyone expected him to suddenly get better just because they paid him more.

6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Were we really planning on signing him if we got Bosh? Yipes

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

BR has assist %'s, too.

In 12/13 (HOU) Parsons was assisted on 64% of his 2's and 93% of his 3's.
    In 13/14 (HOU) Parsons was assisted on 53% of his 2's and 95% of his 3's.

Thus far in 14/15 (DAL) Parsons is assisted on 42% of his 2's and 89% of his 3's.

So, early on, indeed it appears that maybe he is being created for quite as much...

.... HOWEVER, I think it's fair to say that early on Chandler isn't quite as comfortable as he will be navigating the Mavericks offense (not because it is complex, just because it is different). He WAS a good to great slasher in Houston, and that's how he got a lot of assisted 2's. He did get assisted on fast breaks, etc. Per the article, he is not doing that currently in Dallas. I think he WILL get better at that. That won't change him into something different. He'll just be a little better.

Of course, it's inconceivable that Brandon Wright shoots 100% for the season, even though ever time I see a Mavs box score he is 6-6 or something.... last 4 games he is 23 for 25... its crazy

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The expectations are way different for him there than they were here. We loved him because he was a second round pick on a minimum contract that gave us good production. To Mavs fans he's an overpaid role player. I thought he might step up his game a bit after getting paid, I see Gordon Hayward playing pretty damn well in Utah after getting the same contract, but Parsons just hasn't taken that step and likely never will.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

STP :)

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

His percentages are a bit down, but overall his numbers are about the same.

Mavs fans are stupid for expecting a star.

11. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

Unfortunately they also blame Harden and McHale for Parsons being a below average defender:

"He's shown some lapses in concentration, perhaps bad habits picked up from James Harden and Rockets coach Kevin McHale's lack of accountability for that sort of thing."

Dallas fans man.... No accountability. So by this logic Ariza's gonna develop bad habits on the defensive end and become a below average defender after some time here? Pfft.

12. NotChandlerParsons

McHale maybe coulda ridden him harder about that, but at the end of the day the fact that he hasn't played defense for the last two years is public info, not like we concealed it or anything.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I seriously loathed Parson's play last year. So glad it's someone else's problem now.

I even hope the light bulb comes on for him and he realizes who he is (ala Ariza). He could be a very valuable component to teams if he'd play within himself and focus on D.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I thought that Morey was planning to match a deal at $10-12M for not losing him for nothing, but I am not sure that Morey would match the deal of $15M with the player option, With Bosh and Persons, the team would have four max players, and Persons deal is not removable, the cost would be so huge. But many people are still arguing that Morey will match the deal if we got Bosh. Who knows or who cares? Luckily, we do not have him on the team right now.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well I'm happy the rockets didn't match, but I still don't feel the mavs got screwed over in any way. Like on poster on here always points out, if you switch Parsons and Dirk's contracts nobody wouldn't mention a word about either getting over paid, so the mavs are still set.

16. bongman

bongman Member

There is a big difference if you are a GM. Dirk on Parsons contract is still very tradable. Cuban has basically assured himself of having Parsons for 4 yrs for better or worst. Those type of commitments are usually reserved at a minimum, for an all star.

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The Rockets would have matched because they would be at the cap with Bosh alone, so over paying Parsons would have no effect on their flexibility in the immediate future because they would have none. They couldn't sign Bosh and sign Ariza; matching Parsons would be the only option at that point. And Morey would have felt like that lineup was a legitimate favorite to win it all, instead of feeling like they are still a star away from being favorites. And Parsons as the 4th best option is pretty good. Expecting Parsons to be the 2nd or even 3rd option on a contender is a different story.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It was a rage trade by Cuban.

He didn't bother to scout Parsons.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, whole point is that Morey wants to have a third star on the team with all cost in order to win a title. It makes a sense. I forgot about the third star theory.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Stone Temple Pilots?