1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs fans worrying about Parsons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 18pbr, Nov 25, 2014.

1. rocketsmetalspd

Let's see Parsons not playing out as plan. He was on the Rockets that had Parsons not playing all out on the D side of court, Lin not playing D matador Defense, and Asik who was not going all out for the team. Now take a look at the new look Defensive Rocket team.

Glad you took the Parsons off the Rockets Mr. Shark Tank! Morey lucked out he didn't match Parsons and was able to get Ariza. Still lacking a true back up C (with height).

1 person likes this.
  2. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Yea, but he only ever did it once or twice a game. He's doing that with the mavs too. He isn't getting as many fastbreak opportunities though.

The mavs were all banking on Carisle's coaching turning him into a basketball God. Who knows, there' still lots of time, but right now he's playing as expected.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think a lot of folks(including myself) thought Carlisle would get Parsons to commit to playing D like in his rookie season. Ironically, Parsons' replacement here has made the Rockets into a vastly improved defensive squad. Go figure.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Hit it right on the head.

it's because even when his shots aren't falling Ariza still plays defense. When his shot isn't falling Parsons don't know what else to do.

5. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Well the other thing to consider is he is playing almost 6 minutes per game less than he did for the Rockets last year. If anything you can argue he is over producing what should be expected by scoring only 2.4 less per game in that much less playing time. You certainly can't expect his numbers to go up.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

My feeling is that the Parsons offer sheet was a calculated decision made by Cuban as a measure of revenge for what happened the previous summer during FA. He probably didn't expect to actually sign Parsons, but he knew that putting a ticking time bomb on Morey during the middle of the FA frenzy would force them to refocus their plans quickly.

We know Cuban wanted Dwight bad. We know Fegan was trying to get it done but ultimately Dwight made the decision to go Houston and Cuban couldn't stand losing a potential championship piece to Mr. Assets. We know Fegan didn't want Dwight in Houston and as a precursor to the deal, he insisted that Parsons's team option not be picked up. So Cuban had the limo waiting for Parsons to take him to the fancy club and show him a real Hollywood time as soon as the clock struck midnight. Of course Hollywood ate it all up and accepted Cuban's biased opinions as fact because Cuban is every bit as Hollywood as he is.

7. steddinotayto

Then the question is why are his minutes going down? Is it because he's not hitting his shots? Is it because he's a defensive liability? Is it because he's only at his most effective playing x minutes per game? Is he playing injured?

It's intriguing that you pointed out the minutes because I would think Parsons would actually be playing just as much if not more in Dallas.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

If I were a Mav fan I'd wait at least for the second half of the season before I start to worry.

9. jogo

jogo Member

The best part of the article is a mavericks writer admitting this:

"The Rockets' defense is the best in the NBA..."

10. Raven

Raven Member

His poor showings were ignored because of his rookie contract, but max players can't fly under the radar. They are scrutinized every time they step on the court. That's the price they pay. And yes, the Mavs overpaid and hurt themselves in doing so.

11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

A role player playing like a role player

they are just upset because of the money he is being paid....if they are waiting on him to turn into something else i feel bad for them.

12. steddinotayto

Luol Deng would have been a MUCH better addition but I don't think British people like going to douchey clubs.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I still don't understand why you'd pay a 15 PER player with below average defense max money. It smells of Cuban letting emotions get in the way and just trying to stick it to Morey instead of making a smart basketball move.

I still think Parsons is a good player, but he's not worth that kind of cash, as Mavs fans are now finding out.

14. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Good grief no. The regret will be more like 8M bits. Per year.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, he played with some very ball dominant guys in Harden, Lin , and even Dwight. I think they expected a significant breakout season in a more equal opportunity offense. I think they assumed he had more abilities that were being stifled by playing beside Harden.

Basically, they thought they were getting a poor man's James Harden. They ended up with a poor man's Nic Batum.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Anyone have stats on the percentage of Parsons' shots that are assisted? This season and last season. My guess is that Parsons just made $46 million thanks to James Harden's passing.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'm glad we didn't overpay him, and I'm thrilled with Ariza. Nevertheless, I do miss Parsons on the Rockets. I still remember that miracle three against LA to put it in overtime. Good times. Too bad he couldn't make a layup against Portland.

1 person likes this.
  18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Another big indicator that Parsons was not going to be worth the money is FTA's. Stars get to the line. It's important.

19. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

20. steddinotayto

Basketball Reference

Last year Parsons hit almost 53% of his 2-point shots whereas this year it's down to 42%. Not exactly the answer you're looking for but it's a start.

I agree with your statement on Harden as he is better than any facilitator and/or point guard Dallas has on their roster right now.