1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] X-Men: Apocalypse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Globalism, man, globalism ;)

2. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I had low expectations going into the movie and while it wasn't terrible, I didnt particularly like it either. It was def the lowest ranking of this new Xmen trilogy.

My thoughts below... (Long post)

Pros:
    1. I thought they did a great job with Nightcrawler, I liked his look and his youthful innocence about the world. His powers were well portrayed. He was useful without being an actual fighter.
    2. I liked Storm's intro although she really didnt do much else until the end of the movie.
    3. I did like the mental fight scene with Xavier and Apoc. I thought that was very cool. When I saw Apoc grow in the trailers I was skeptical of how that would work.
    4. The scene where Magento's family gets killed by the police/soldiers was very powerful. Got me right in the feels.
    5. X and Magento are just really good actors.

Cons:
    1. Angel was wasted. There is great material to source for the story of how he became a horseman. I understand that the cinematic universe takes liberties to alter stories to fit the overall narrative but him being deceived by Apocolypse is central to him becoming a horseman in the firstplace. This deceit could have been a great motivation for him to turn against Apoc and help defeat him in the end. Sucks they killed off such an interesting character in such a lame way.
    2. Psylocke sucked. She wasnt used for anything at all except the one scene where she slices through the car. Why even bother with Olivia Munn instead of just getting an unknown actress for the part.
    3. Quicksilver not revealing his familial relation to Magento makes no sense at all. Its the worst kept secret that literally everyone but Magneto knows.
    4. Mystique's look going from "Mutant and Proud" to "J.Law in a jacket" was so dumb. I guess she flexed her star power not wanting to be in makeup, but she signed up for this when she agreed to a 3 movie contract.

***Biggest Issue***
    There seemed to be no consequences to any of the events that transpired during the movie. Magneto tries to destroy the entire world and its no big deal at the end. Storm being accepted into the school immediately after said events is suspicious. Even the scene of Jean Grey rebuilding the house with her mind was ridiculous. I get that the intent was to show off he powers but it just looked silly. It was like "see, everything is back to normal again". Scott should be mourning his brother. Xavier should be worried about other all-powerful mutants. Jean Grey should be freaking out over the extent of his powers. Moira should be trying to smooth ***** over with the CIA over helping these mutants.

Seeing this movie so soon after Marvel's Civil War was really jarring in comparison. The characters in the MCU are aware of the destructive force of their actions. In the MCU relationships get permanently altered based on the events in each film. There was no reflection whatsoever at the end of this film. It felt episodic like a Transformers film rather than a chapter in a larger epic.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

the difference is that the x-men just saved the earth from obliteration while the superheroes in civil war killed like one guy. Despite everything that happened, X-men still saved billions of people. You can't not smile after accomplishing that feat. I'm sure in the exposition to the next movie they will address a lot of the lingering loose ends.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

No no like at all. Only parts i enjoyed involved Erik.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It seems like it should have taken more than one hit with a hammer to break those logs holding up the giant pyramid blocks. Really made that scene and sequence lack the suspense it deserved.

6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

They tried to force emotion too MUCH it was turnoff, relying so much on the previous movies for emotional scenes ect. They should of went a different direction. Get jlaw the hell out of there!

7. hvic

hvic Member

I didn't even know the movie was released until my godson mentioned it to me.

8. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

It was a little above meh. 6.5/10.

I liked:

Olivia Munn is really ****ing hot.
    CGI
    Apoc. mutant upgrades
    Mcavoy/Fassbender continue to kill their roles
    This Quicksilver seems to be more powerful than the Avengers one
    Previous Horsemen were badass
    Cyclops
    Costumes were incredible

I didn't like:

Horsemen were useless & pretty weak, bad selection by Apocalypse
    Quicksilver not telling Magneto he's his son
    Mystique isn't a powerful mutant, idk why they keep focusing on her
    Apocalypse has like a million powers yet they only focused on that erosion ****
    X's girlfriend is completely useless, why are you even here?
    Why didn't apocalypse just nuke everyone? Would've been much more efficient
    You can't give Wolverine adamantium while giving him 4 mins of screen play. Should've made him a horsemen like he is in the comics.

Thought Apocalypse went down way too easy, since he's pretty OP in the comics. I mean, 4 kids (granted, they turn out to be pretty powerful in the future) who have never fought a day in their lives played huge parts in bringing him down.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jean Grey / Phoenix > Apocalypse

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's what I was going to say. That's the only thing on Earth could have stopped him.

But the execution was just all wrong.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

So what exactly was Apocalypse's original mutant power?

The ability to transfer his soul into another human/mutant? Or to steal power?

Couldn't professor X do that too? That's what he did at the end of X3. An old prof X could have hijacked Apocalypse's body and gain his powers.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

http://marvel.com/universe/Apocalypse_(En_Sabah_Nur)

So basically Singer threw out his actual powers. Good job there.
    I hate that ****ing guy for real.

Also, no not really. Professor X can mentally control someone, and make them do whatever he'd like. He doesn't actually take over their body like Apocalypse does though.

#432 seclusion, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Then what happened at the end of X3? Prof X got evaporated by Jean (just like Apocalypse) and then somehow lives through someone else. Which reminds me, could Apocalypse have transferred himself to Psylocke's body at the end? Maybe that's what he meant when he said "all is revealed" before turning into dust.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

X3 never happened, it was nothing more than a terrible dream.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

What Bobby said, X3 never happened according to the end of DoFP.

As for Apocalypse "transferring" himself. He could have, but to Psylocke? Nah.
    Him saying all is revealed, was referring to his search for the most powerful mutant. He found her, then she killed him basically.

16. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Figured "All is revealed" meant
    he will probably cause the Apocalypse because to beat him, Jean had to take the restrains off the destructive Phoenix Force, which perhaps is foreshadowing the actual apocalypse.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's all about survival of the fittest. Probably got off to dying that way.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's the way I understood it. I don't think he'll be gone forever either.

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Very meh. 5/10 is accurate.

Too many characters requiring too much exposition and not enough focus on central players. Too much fan service, not enough story.

The final battle came down to super destructive force vs. super destructive force vs. SUPER DESTRUCTIVE FORCE. It was all determined by who had higher power levels. Very unexciting.

I'm glad JLaw wasn't as central as DoFP. Storywise and character wise, this was way behind First Class and DoFP.