1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] X-Men: Apocalypse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Angel was by far my fav character in this movie. His metal armor and metal wings was straight baller. Too bad they made him seem like such a dumb thug. Is he a bad guy in the comics?

Apocalypse sure has a bad judge of talent. Oooh, some girl can make a glowing purple sword, let's make her into a horseman! The same can be said about Angel, but since I'm biased, I won't say anything bad about him.

Apocalypse could have cherry picked anyone from prof X's school and they would have been more powerful than the two abovementioned mutants. Weird since he seemed to pick real good ones back in ancient egypt.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Angel was one of the original X-Men way back in the very first issue, so he is very much one of the good guys. For that matter so was Psylocke. All of the evil charcters they had to choose from, Magneto was the only actual villain they used.

Psylocke is actually a telepath in the comics (hence the name) so they didn't really utilize her fully. Angel has always been kind of overmatched (he can fly, big freaking deal) it's probably why the character fell so out of favor. They really could have chosen a better character to use, it's like Apocalypse just decided to pick the first mutants he saw.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why can't they use Deadpool and Colossus..... I thought they were part of

the X-men universe.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They can if they want, but Deadpool is set in present day, and Apocalypse was set in the early 80's. They were either children, or not born yet. Plus they had no clue Deadpool was gonna be as popular as he ended up being.

I would be shocked if they don't find a way to work Deadpool into the next one somehow. If they are in fact using Cable for the next Deadpool movie, than they are establishing time travel as a thing. So they can pretty much use whatever plot device they want to gather whatever characters they want to use to set up the franchise moving forward.

1 person likes this.
  5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I mean that's not entirely true. In the comics Angel is a good guy, then I believe he dies and is resurrected by Apocalypse which in turn gives him metal wings (hey like the movie!). He then becomes Archangel and is a bad guy prior to "waking up" I guess and joining XFactor as a good guy again.

In other words he's been a good guy, bad guy, and a horseman of the apocalypse. That part was actually accurate. He seemed very trailer trash in the movie as someone mentioned though. Angel in the comics (and even X3) is a well to do rich kid before he discovers his mutation.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

So they depicted him more accurately in X3? He seemed so useless in X3, but that's not saying much since it seemed like they tried to get as many mutants as possible for the final fight where Jean Grey suicide bombs herself.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Neither were too far from home honestly. In this movie he isn't quite given an origin other than he's been trapped and forced to fight other mutants. We don't know what he was like before that.
    I thought his death was pretty weak and avoidable for someone who can fly, but eh?

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

In this movie at least, I kind of see Apocalypse as older Al Davis drafting for the Raiders. Angel tested well at the combine, scouting reports be damned! Vertical game, VERTICAL GAME!

You have to admit there's a resemblance.
    [​IMG]

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yeah I read your spoiler on this on page 19. Laughed when I saw it in the movie.

After digesting it a bit further, Flash still has the best scenes. Why didn't he just tell Magnetman who he really is? I assume they're saving it for the next movie. Possibly waiting for a dramatic scene. Like one is about to die, and then the truth comes out.

The more I watch Magnet's story, I find myself to be more empathetic. I wouldn't be much different than him if I was in his position. Just like I'd be a Sith if given the chance.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

A few thoughts on this:
    -Apocalypse is supremely arrogant. He thought it didn't matter who he recruited as his four horsemen, he alone could take over the world with his power.
    -He didn't want to recruit too powerful of mutants because then they could overthrow him should he let his guard down.
    -Hed rather kill the more powerful mutants and takeover their power than use them as a four horsemen.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Because Bryan Singer is a dip****.

The guy who is trying to kill everyone because he's lost his entire family still has a living son. Should I tell him he's my Dad so he stops? Nah, this isn't a good time bros.

Dumbbbbb.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Uh what powerful mutant did he kill? He recruited the most powerful mutant he could find in Magneto, then kidnapped the other (Xavier). If he knew Jean was as powerful as she was, he would have snatched her up too.

He views all mutants as his children, he doesn't want them dead. He wants them as the dominant species. I don't agree with your logic, other than him being arrogant.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is right though.

Dude has to kill some of his 'children' to upgrade his abilities

By killing I mean absorbing them.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's not killing, and it never happened in the movie except the beginning.
    He becomes them when he does that, and the only one he tried to absorb point was Xavier.

So, not so much.

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I dont think Angel died in comics, I think he had his wings ripped off in some Mutant Massacre crossover thingy that sucked.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Was not that bad. At least it was not jumping all over the place like bvs.

Why is it that the British have to take all the american jobs?

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jlaw is american

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Really liked this even more after my second viewing. I wish Wolverine had been one of the Four Horseman.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was the exact opposite, I saw the flaws more clearly the second time. The first time I was just relieved it wasn't as bad as I feared it would be.

I'll spoiler all of this so as to not offend those who haven't seen this

What was the point of Stryker? Why couldn't that entire subplot have been eliminated so they could focus on and better develop the main plot or the characters that haven't been seen before like Jubilee?

Come to think of it, the ending of the last movie had Mystique in disguise as Stryker so why the hell was Wolverine even with him to begin with? If you can't keep that stuff straight from one of YOUR movies to the next, what hope does Singer have in tying this all back together with anything else?

How about developing the main bad guy a bit more? How about giving us more of the "horsemen"?

They wasted SOOOOO much time in this movie that could have been better spent doing more important things.

On a second watch, it's super annoying how people just didn't want to get in the blue makeup and it totally takes away from their character development. "Raven" wanting to look human all the time, even when she's behind closes doors goes against EVERYTHING they've set up for her to be about in the movies.

Same goes for Beast, he's not a damn werewolf, he can't just decide to be human when he wants to, it takes away from his character if that's the case. Part of the tragedy of his character is that his mutation made him a freak much like it did for the Thing. They piss that away for no reason

Also the scene with Magneto and Quicksilver was totally wasted, it was a perfect time for him to tell him that he's his father, which would give a plausible reason why he'd have a change of heart and try to save his son when he failed to save his wife and daughter. Instead, Mystique always has to be the only person anyone cares about......and apparently they chose blue to paint the new cerebro because of the boner Beast has for her....awesome.

Also, how about the fact that Nightcrawler is Mystique's son? Did they ever plan on mentioning that?

I mean despite all of that it's still watchable, but it's just mediocre enough to not be bad and honestly, we deserve more.

1 person likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Sansa isn't. Neither was the old one.

Actually the worst is having superman be a british guy. It would be like an American playing bond.