1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] X-Men: Apocalypse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I actually really liked it. I don't see it as a decline at all. Lots of action, it made sense. I didn't like their choice for Apocalypse. The guy who played him was just OK. His voice should have stayed deep/dark throughout. Without the voice he's just a guy in makeup. He looks off and you could tell it was just paint on his face. We all know it's paint but it shouldn't look too apparent without explanation. Other than him great movie.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, those of us who like the X-Men and Oscar Isaac both have been thinking WTF all along. It's just a terrible match. He is a short actor suited for art cinema, nuanced acting. Oh well.

3. PeppermintCandy

I actually thought Oscar Isaac did a good job. Apocalypse was going to be a cheesy role regardless of who took it, but his acting chops kept it from being completely distracting.

Overall the movie's plot, pace and script was on par with Batman v Superman, which means not so good, but Fassbinder, McAvoy, Isaac, Nicolas Hoult, and Rose Byrne saved it for me with their solid acting. Among the new additions to the cast, only Sophie Turner stood out for me.

4. 713

713 Member

I don't understand the bad reviews. I really enjoyed it. Magneto's scene in the woods was probably the most emotional scene in ANY comic back movie ever.

The new Xmen kids were pretty cool. Cyclops was good and so was Nightcrawler. Kinda hoped to see Jubilee in action.

I LOL when they only gave Psylocke 2 lines in the whole movie and how Olivia Munn was all "I choose Psylocke because she's not just a sex symbol."

Sophie Turner had some laughable bad acting moment (especially the nightmare scene and the dialogue that came after)but its kind of understandable since she's trying to do an American accent. Don't get why they just didn't let Jean be British.

Quicksilver needs a standalone. I want that more than DC's Flash film. He's so goodamn funny. Has the best lines and best sequences.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qeMFqkcPYcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Overall a good X-Men movie. 8/10

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How many years have passed between this movie and first class?

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

QuickSilver stole every scene he has been in the last two X-Men movies. I wonder if Marvel has enough original QS material for a movie.

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Finna watch this in 30 mins. Will give my professional review on this

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Over 20 years

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This is honestly way better than Civil War and it won't make nearly as much at the box office.

10. jsingles

jsingles Member

It's 10 years, they showed a 10 year anniversary of Magneto at the Paris Peace Accords.

11. 713

713 Member

Yeah my initial reaction was damn this was just on par with Civil War if not a notch below. Then I came home and read reviews and was blown away by all the negative reviews.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I concur, the 2 1/2 hours went by like nothing. Enjoyed this movie a lot! Reminiscent of batman vs superman, low expectations but high reviews from me!

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It was enjoyable, but it wasn't very good. I just find characters with almost unlimited powers make for horrible story lines and lots of plot holes. Apocalypse was very uninteresting.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Walked in expecting the worst. But this felt as good as any other Singer X-Men movie (entertaining, but not great).

The 50% RT ratings... they don't add up.

But when you look at how poorly BvS (27%) was rated, maybe it does make some sense. Like they have a new harsh scale specifically for this genre.

This movie took more bits and pieces from existing source material than any other before it IMO. It's still a mess source material-wise but there are a lot of nods to the comic fans.

And most importantly - not nearly as much Mystique as I was expecting. The way she was used, it actually made sense this time.

I thought I would walk out DONE with the franchise but I'm interested to see where it goes now. Hopefully with a different franchise architect.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is your expectations. You, like me went in expecting things to be awful and they weren't so that'll leave you with a positive impression. Would you still feel the same way if you went into it thinking it was going to be awesome? Probably not.

I'd bet those who have really negative reviews just went in expecting too much. That'll happen a lot with movies that are just okay. If you expect a lot from it, you're disappointed, if you don't expect anything at all, you're impressed.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Haha, nope. It was better than I expected, but there was just too much contradiction with their own movies. More star pandering by Singer, more waste of characters, more disregard for the characters' histories (despite more fan service than usual).

I said I wasn't going to pay to watch it, but...whatever...it happened.

1. Aforementioned garbage with JLaw.

2. At the end of DoFP it was shown that the Stryker who was fishing Wolverine out of a lake was actually Mystique. Completely disregarded the results of their own movie.

3. Why is Apocalypse shorter than baby storm? Seriously, there were NO actors over 6' capable of playing Apocalypse other than Oscar Isaac? (and I love Oscar Isaac) Apocalypse is supposed to be an imposing figure. He already looked relatively stupid, him being shorter than 90% of the other characters made him look like a total wuss.

4. Hrm...Havok's powers are way too similar to Cyclops and we have our new Cyclops so...I guess we'll kill Havok for no reason but to make another Quicksilver scene.

5. After being dead set on destroying everything, Magneto sure had a change of heart quickly there. (flashbacks withstanding)

6. People are freaked out about Magneto, and he nearly singlehandedly destroys the planet, but...because he apparently "was involved" in stopping Apocalypse, everything is cool now? Weeeee. Lazy writing.

That's just the stuff I remember. In general it was better than I expected, and the final action scene was pretty sick. It wasn't the worst X-Men movie, and it definitely wasn't the best. Overall, I'm sick of Singer and they need to get someone else to make these movies. Please Fox, just let Tim Miller do all of your X-men universe movies going forward.

Better than BvS? Easily.
    Better than Deadpool? Nope.
    Better than Civil War? Puh-lease.

3.5/5

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I thought it was weaker X-Men film, but I still enjoyed it. Don't think it was in the league of Civil War, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it's poor reviews.

I certainly enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than that mess BvS. Fox isn't as slick as Marvel with the action/humor/plot combo, but they do a solid job of mixing the 3.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Magneto bothered me the most. The guy murdered a whole bunch of people from the police officers to his coworkers, and everyone is cool with him at the end, especially Professor X?

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I was so close to seeing it, but didn't have enough time.

Which character dies in this one? Who killed them?

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Enjoyed it.

Although I always enjoy the build up scenes where the characters are discovering their powers and just small talking with each other rather than the climax. Maybe I am just weird like that.