1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston We Have A Power Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You have to watch the games to be unconfused. And I say that in the most literal way. If you think TRob is the same size you have to watch the games. If you think he isn't a better defender than DMo you have to watch the games. If you think he doesn't have better handles and shoots better than Greg Smith or TRob you have to watch the games and if you think he isn't the best offensive rebounder and shot blocker you have to watch the games.

I was convinced as soon as I saw him move infront of Cousins jump up grab the offensive rebound and stuff it home before cousins could react. No one else on our team could do that. TRob doesn't have the strength and no one else has the quickness. You have to watch the games.

Still, unlike some on here, I am not saying he is a potential all star. (although he reminds me of a young Boozer). What I am saying is he has an all around better game and is more equipped to play the PF position than any pf we have and that includes the 2 we traded. Yes he is young and yes he isn't the quickest learner. But what he has displayed so far shows that he has the skills to be our best option at the 4. He now has to just do it consistently.

Tonight is a big game going forward for him. If he does it again I'll be convinced. if he doesn't I will be really disappointed. Not because I don't believe eventually he will be that player I see in him. He has the talent and barring injury he will be that player. But if not him I doubt anyone else will step up consistently enough before the all star break and going in to the playoffs we will have a whole at PF. Greg Smith is not a PF.

So what I am excited about is just as much the hope as it is what I have seen. And yes it is easy to argue it down. He has one game like many on here have said so has Trob, Smith and DMo. But he is the only one after I watched his one game I said Houston we have a power forward and that is because his one game is closer to what we need from our PF than all of the others. And you can only see that if you watch the games.

#201 Old Man Rock, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. StevieCrossover

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

After just one game,,,,lol at least let the man get gis feet wet before dooming him the best PF we have....DMo showed some flashes and so has T Rob....lol too funny Old Man

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Old man rock, I got season tickets I WATCH all the games from club level behind the bench. I don't know why ur telling me to watch the game. I can tell you this tjones is not taller than Trob there the same size, He is bulkier Ill give you that. I sit right behind the bench I look at all the players.

Let me get this straight because you saw tjones play and he had a good game? Which he did I'm not arguing that. You think he's the best pf on our team and better than pat and Morris from the start of the season?

I just think that's crazy, I hope you are right and he gives us 14 and 12 every night. Like I said in my post I think he has the least amount of bust potential but his Allstar potential is not their IMO. I think Trob has the most all star potential because he has things tjones won't ever have (quickness, body movement more fluid with ability to draw fouls at a high rate) he already is a better defender and at the very least the same on rebounding. I want to see tjones face up and get to the rack at will I don't think he can do it.

I gaurentee iv watched more Kansas and Kentucky games than you and Iv prob seen more rockets games than you this yr. iv watched all tjones and Thomas robinsons games in college. I'm just curious do you think every scout was wrong on Trob and tjones? Robinson was considered top 5 by everyone nobody had tjones even in the lottery. I like tjones but if you think he's gonna bring that every night ur in for a disappointment. Again I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

5. hltiki

hltiki Member

Man, I really like TJ, but I don't wanna give up on D-Mo. You guys see the footwork on those post moves?!? He surely has some offenseive big man skills.

6. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Dmo needs to bulk up and regain his confidence. He missed his window temporarily. Let TJ have a ride for awhile.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

On a scale from 1 -10

DMo is currently a 4.5
    Robinson is a 3.5
    Jones 6.5

I was all hyped up about Robinson, and honestly I haven't seen him play, just the video montage that was on YouTube. After the few games he had for us, I can see why the Kings let him go. Yes, he is an absolute athletic beast, prob works his ass off, but he just does not have the basketball fundamentals and feel for this game. It's hard to tell yet how he will pan out. I am hoping for a 6-7, but would't be surprised if he ends up being a 5 on my scale. Prob someone who comes of the bench and brings some energy and a few highlights.

DMo, I like the kid, but I highly doubt he will have a huge turnaround any time soon. He has some decent post moves, but what we expected to be his biggest points, shooting and size, turned out to be his biggest issues. His release isn't bad, but he just cant hit a shot. About his size, other PF are out-rebounding him and throwing him like a little child around the playground area. He needs atleast another 20-30 pounds and work on his posture. I like his mentality, but do not see him as a starter at any point of his career.

Jones, he is something else. Smooth, athletic, long, very good feel for the game, high IQ and at times sneaky as hell. Carefully watch his game and you'll see this guy will be something special. I can't compare him to Parsons because Chandler is just fundamentally sound, it's like he read the whole book about basketball. Jones is more like the kid who learned basketball the right way in the hood. I absolutely love his game.

8. Old Man Rock

A respectful post so I stand corrected. Obviously you have better seats than I get. And I have only been to a 10 games this year and Terrence Jones was only suited up in a couple. But I would be surprised if TJones isn't at least a little taller than TRob. Still I will give you that until someone proves otherwise.

Your other points I never said he was better. What I saw in s/l and preseason was he had more athletic talent in terms of rebounding, shotblocking and he could shoot. Which made me think as much as I like PPat TJones would be a better long term fit. Now I didn't watch much of Jones in college so my opinion was based soely on his tenure as a Rocket. I never he was better than PPat at that moment but that he had better overall skills for the PF position... at least what I meant to say.

Also I do not know how TJones will fair tonight or going forward. But I still believe he has the best skills to play power forward on this team. As much as I like DMo and even TRob they are lacking in areas that hurt the team too much. That was the main thing that impressed me most about T Jones that he went 14 and 12 and did not seem to hurt the team in other areas. he doesn't have to snag 12 rebounds every night or shoot 60% and 100% from the line but if he can play good and not turnover the ball or get beat too much on defense than he is better than what we have gotten consistently from all the other options. I think he can but until he does it he is a mystery

P.S. I am glad to hear you are a great Rocket fan.

9. Old Man Rock

All Dmo needs to do is bulk up a little bit so he can get position for a couple of more rebounds a game and develop his three so he is a consistent 35% shooter. I think he can do both this off season and become our stretch 4. This team needs a stretch 4 and they are not easy to come by. If he does that and plays a little smarter DMo will be back.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can we get some ex Kentucky teamates to inspire Tjones tonight in Portland?

DD

11. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

royce white just got

28 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals.

in 34 minutes

+26

and his not even in shape !

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

^^LolDleaguefodder

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Knee jerk thread proving to be completely knee jerk...

Per usual

14. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

thats what they said about lin

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Lin also didn't refuse to play half the time.

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lin wasn't fat entitled ****.

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yeah... guilty as charged irt to Smith. We need a star PF, someone who knows the meaning of consistency.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Well, all of these power forwards are young and the talent is there. Unless we can shake Aldridge, or Love loose, I would roll with what we've got next year.

19. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Based off 1 game?:rolleyes:

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Stop making threads like this...it just ends up looking dumb...