1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston We Have A Power Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Wow that is a higher ceiling than I see. But you could be right and one thing I definitely agree is he appeared to be playing conservatively. But considering these were his first meaningful minutes I thought he showed a lot of confidence out there and while I expect he will have some stupid moments on defense just because, IMO he is the best option we have going forward and given the minutes will prove so. And I am excited for the playoffs because the PF spot was a wek link on this team and while I had hoped DMo and TRob would have made us forget PPat and Morris that just hasn't happened. But TJones might fit that bill

2. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

The sweat spot is being a Back up PF.

Is like our PFs play great as bench players but once they start a few games they don't seen to be that effective.

Maybe because to many options in the starting line up?
    Opposite team will adjust?
    You no longer and afterthought for opposing defense?

Let see. But I like Smith starting for now It seems like we don't start slow with him. I like Tjones and Donta coming from the bench a give in a spark without putting to much pressure on their shoulder to perform.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Terrence Jones is beefier than he looks. Motiejunas came in at 222. Patrick Patterson is 235. Thomas Robinson is 240.
    T-Jones is 250+ lbs. He's almost the same (listed) weight as Omer Asik and Royce White.

What I liked about Jones is he uses that long arm reach and plays TALL. It makes him a decent rebounder. He looks to DUNK IN TRAFFIC, which is not as prevelant a skill as it seems. Omer Asik, Patterson, Motiejunas can't do it. T-Rob can, but doesnt have the other skills Jones has on offense.

As athletic and "stretch" as PF's are now, in my opinon they still can be a little vulnerable to opposing PF's putting the ball on the floor. (Think Dirk Nowitzki, not fluid putting the ball on the floor but he's tough to guard). Jones can look "slow" on his dribble drives, but his long gallup strides and head fakes are effective at the 4 position.

His outside shot is shaky don't trust it now. On dribble drives he can be a black hole looking to drive with no passing. Looks to "break down" his man with a crossover and forces up wild shots. And he has to show that there's actual STRENGTH with the size, can he body up on NBA sized players like Zach Randolph and Lamarcus Aldridge?

But Jones has a balance of above average attributes that makes him I think "versatile" instead of a "tweener".

4. basketballholic

I would trust TJones outside shot over any of DMo, TRob, and Greg Smith. I trust him defensively more than the others too...including TRob. Oh, his handle too, much better than the others.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think Thomas is just as skilled if not more. He did go top 5 in the draft, and that obviously coerces with talent. Jones was more NBA ready IMO, but T-ROB has the ability to be an Amare type of player.

6. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

So who's more athletic? Jones or Robinson?

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Robinson but it's a lot closer than most on this board would imagine.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Jones, imo. He can jump higher and move faster.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would basically rate them as very similar, with the slight edge to Jones for agility. Robinson is faster, slightly stronger. Jones jumps higher from a standstill and along with being more agile.

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Are you implying that there were games before the last one?:confused:

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The guy was impressive. Several others have mentioned it, but it can't be said enough... 8 offensive boards! He seemed to improve as the game went on. The play late where Asik pointed him towards the other side of the court showed how smart he can be. Jones ends up moving the ball like he's supposed to, eventually passing to Lin for the dagger three. That was excellent court awareness. Sure, it was one game, and sure, it was the Kings, who got the lead down to 5 with Hayes in, then took out Chuck and we promptly ran the lead up to 10, but Jones could have come in and been average. He could have been mediocre. He could have sucked, but he didn't. One game. Let's see what he can do with what's left of the season. I would be shocked if this performance doesn't get him serious minutes in the next game.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

I thought Jones had a bit of Kenny Thomas about him in the D-league, ie can coast in stretches.

He really wan't. it was mentioned that he shot a lot of 3s because that's what the coaches wanted him to do in Europe.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I see what you did there... had me go lol

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I love that you noticed that about chuck... It seems like it happens a lot. T jones has shown a lot of maturity this past two years... In both his personality and basketball skill set. I don't know that he has all star potential but he is a rotation quality player. I figure he will improve into the reg rotation and then Morey will trade him just when I buy his jersey ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. cmoney23

cmoney23 Member

1st time post here. there is an article on espn about dwight howard and where he might end up. now it was written by chris broussard and he is about trustworthy as oj simpson but if anyone is subscribed to espn could you please post the article

16. cmoney23

cmoney23 Member

can someone post the article chris broussard wrote about dwight howard and the pros and cons to signing with houston, dallas and atlant on espn

17. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

DMO ONLY FAN :(

18. imaginedragons

Jones is unquestionably very skilled offensively, and rebounds better on the offensive glass as well. What has been suspect is his drive and killer instinct, which seems to go on and off. Best evidence is his sophomore year in Kentucky, where he was supposed to be preseason SEC player of the year. Instead, the freshman class of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marquis Teague and Anthony Davis overshadowed him, and there were a lot of games where his contribution was totally nil.

It's so much easier to shine in college, especially when you've got one year of experience vs. a freshman class, but he didn't grab the reins so to speak. It remains to be seen if the fire that seemed to spark him last game can be constantly aflame, but at worst he can be a very good complementary addition to the Rockets rotation.

19. Karolik

Karolik Member

T-rob was supposed to be the most NBA ready of the top 5..

:(

20. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I think Terrence Jones is capable of playing a little bit of small forward also.