1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston We Have A Power Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 3, 2013.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I have always been on board with Mr. Jones he is the best all around 4.

2. teebone21

teebone21 Member

after last game the kid has earned more PT over dmo. Dmo has been a disappointment. missing easy layups, getting handled by smaller players, boxed out by point guards, can barely dunk when open, bricking open shots all game etc etc etc

3. trowa2

trowa2 Member

dmo is still very promising, he just need to bulk and man up

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Jones's handle is for srue better than those guys. The only knock is that he sometimes gets TUNNEL VISION on his drives forcing his way to the rim instead of passing. He doesnt have Royce White handles, but still he can actually bring the ball up court and go coast-to-coast.

I see potential in D-Mo's shot for some reason, though he can't hit 3's or free throws. But yeah Jones still has probably the trustiest shot cuz he can handle and create some of his own offense shooting off the dribble too.

I think T-Rob has skills too, the skills from 13 feet in. Jones can shoot the 3 (not too well yet at the NBA, but can shoot it). T-Rob MIGHT have higher upside in an Amare role, T-Jones an Al Harrington type. But I'd probably bet on T-Jones more at the moment. T-Rob was a 3 year college player and SHOULD be more "NBA-ready" than Jones.

1 person likes this.
  5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Jones was having some absurb D-League shooting games where he couldnt miss, he definitely deserved a callup. It was a good move (yes a McHale coaching move) to put him in while he was still hot even if it was D-league hot. Might have to think the D-league games helped out SOME in that regard him seeing some recent court time.

6. alethios

alethios Member

Houston, we have several PFs, none of which is the final answer...that's the problem. We can continue to develop these (young) players and hope one of them breaks out into a consistent starter, or we can shop til we drop for a plug-n-play PF who is ready to take us to that next level. I want to see what the FA during the summer brings us, but I will not be disappointed if we develop one or more of these players to be that one PF we're looking for.

7. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Very good analysis of Tjones's game. He has great handles for a big (by far the best out of our 4s and 5s), and his ability to get to the rack from the high elbow with a jab step or ball fake is definitely above average for an NBA player.

I have seen him have good shooting nights and poor shooting nights, so it's hard to say where he is going to land on shooting NBA 3's, but I think he'll at least have a solid 18-20 foot game in the next couple years.

I think the biggest thing people don't get about Tjones is that the game is a bit fast for him still and at times he gets lost both offensively and defensively. Sampson and McHale have referenced it earlier in the year - saying that he just needs to get some more experience and acclimate himself with what we are running (yes we run a offense, surprise!) and our S&R coverages.

If he keeps diving on the ground and showing hustle like he did last night, he should be a fixture on this team for a long time (unless DM the GM decides to bounce him).

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Please keep posting! Are you really old? Don't care, just keep posting; I'm enjoying it. Repped!

9. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I don't think it's even a close comparison. Robinson lacks offense and D-Mo can't battle in the paint and none of them even Asik are good shot blockers which TJ is. Especially with those long arms. And I don't worry about his 3 point accuracy because he can play on the perimeter like a small forward and put the ball on the floor and get to the basket.

His other two games he played over 20 minutes this season he was productive as well. Don't know what to expect from him the rest of the way because he's just a rookie.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I heard the problem was that Jones wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Couldnt pick up the defensive assignments or something like that? I could be wrong, but basketball ability is crazy. He had a nifty reverse of the rim last night that I remember raising my eyebrow to. He kinda reminds me of a young Chris Webber.

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Everyone was surprised when Jones impressed in preseason/SL and didn't get dibs on the 2nd PF rotation spot. He was the most consistent. When ppat sat out for the first time, I nearly threw my shoe at the TV when we learned the unimpressive Marcus Morris was getting the start. Then, when I realized Jones wasn't even in the rotation, I did throw my shoe. After all that burn before the regular season, he didn't even crack the rotation? Even though he was the most impressive?

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Yep, this is pretty much how we all felt. If he really starts to kill it, this will just add more fuel to the 'McFail' fire.

13. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

They said he didn't know more than 1 screen coverage and was lost all the time on offense earlier this year. He still has moments like yesterday when he chased I think Garcia around on his first offensive possession. There were quotes from people saying he was the most gifted draft pick, but had to learn to think the game. McHale was knocking Kentucky for just switching everything because they were athletic enough to do it 1 through 5 and not preparing guys for real defensive assignments in the NBA.

14. hahachui

hahachui Member

Once DMO can get the ball in the paint....he will be a beast..
    Lets see what DMO can do next season....

I hope We can trade Thomas for a first round pick 10-14th....dont like his game at all

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am with you on this. Even before the trade. I always felt He did too many things better than PPat not to work him in. The kid had a great summer league a good preseason and even had a couple of good games in the regular season and then he disappeared. Even after the trade he got no exposure. Granted he seemed a little slow picking up defensive assignments but DMo seems to be picking them up pretty well and he just isn't very good defensively.

I feel like McHale is very unforgiving on missed assignments especially on defense. And he was the main reason TJones didn't get his shot. Even after TJones impressive game Mchale didn't seem overly impressed.

That being said, perhaps TJones needed the DLeague work. Watch this Video and you can see someone in the Rockets organization has a plan.

Terrence Jones DLeague Assignment

So the stint has helped him. He does seem to be picking up defensive assignments better. Either way I am glad he finally got his chance and my gut says he will stick and help us in the playoffs.

16. basketballholic

It was mostly due to the fact that the Rockets had to maximize PPat's value. If they had moved TJones or DMo (or anybody) ahead of PPat and Morris at the start of the season then PPat's trade value plummets to at best a second rounder.

I could also see very early that physically and athletically TJones was superior to PPat. And he was superior to PPat in offensive skill. Defense always takes time and effort. That is the most common unknown for rookies and usually takes a year or two to determine unless they are an established defender from college coming into the league.

By playing PPat and Morris, we actually increased PPat's value because of his defensive presence and then his decent development of the corner 3-ball. That in turn landed us a 2012 lottery pick (#5) who is on a decaying timeline but we can still probably flip him for a future first rounder. That was better use of the asset (PPat) than running out a rookie(s) and giving PPat spot backup minutes and turning his trade value into trash.

This is the way the Rockets organization does things. It is frustrating at times but it is understandable when you consider the big picture. I also know and understand that Morey does NOT tell his coaches who to play. BUT..you have to understand there is talk between them and agreement on how to pursue the season and distribute minutes in a stacked situation like this. McHale putting on this big act about being so upset about his rotation being disturbed at the trade deadline....just remember....he knew something like this would go down if Morey could find the right deal. He can put on that act to the media and make it sound like there is possibly a riff between him and Morey and send the media off to report some hyped up rumor. But the bottom line is Morey and McHale work closely together. McHale knows he won't have a job if he torques too far away from Morey's analysis and he is perceived as hurting the organization with his coaching stubbornness (Remember JVG?). This organization is all about cohesiveness and having a singular plan that includes all levels of the organization from the top all the way to RGV fitting together to build a championship contender.

17. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

I don't understand why people say he isn't athletic.....

:confused::confused:

He gets up quick and dunks it well, albeit with his long arms, but so what!! And that move across the body attempted dunk was great!

I personally can't believe how much TRob fumbles!!

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm confused why u guys say that tjones is so long and big and Trob isn't? They measured the same and Trob has a longer wingspan.

I get that tjones had a good game but so has dmo and Trob. What about the pacers game down 22 and Trob scores 10 in one quarter grabbing offensive rebounds. What about dmo scoring 19 how about when Trob got 15 7 3 stls and 2 blks in 20 min?

I'm just saying slow down some of you all the players have a great deal of potential and none of them suck like some posters say about dmo and Trob.

Id be willing to bet tjones goes 4 points 3 rebounds tonight before doing what he did last game and guess what he still won't suck and he still will have the same promise he had after this game.

Rookies are inconsistent and it's okay to like one player better than others but lets not jump to conclusions about who's gonna lock up the spot for the next decade till these guys play through next season if there all still here.

Tjones to me looks like a great glue guy who can do everything but I don't think he can create for himself as easily as dmo and Trob can. That's the big difference I see. Tjones prob has the least bust potential out of all 3 but Trob and dmo has the highest star potential. They not have moves they like that get them clean looks at the basket anytime they want plus Trob draws fouls fast that's a big time player trait.

Again just my opinion but I think it's stupid to say one player sucks and the other player is the future off one game. It gets done all the time but its stupid all 3 have shown flashes tjones jut happens to be the latest one.

19. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

Because its easier to repeat something someone else said than think for your self no mater how Dumb it sounds lol I agree with you T.Jones is a athletic freak who can play 3-4 easily and has very deceptive speed dude almost looks slippery sometimes the way he gets around players on the floor to score and to rebound

20. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

Lol I totally disagree I think out of all three PF's D-Mo has the least ability to create for himself. People always talk about 3 things his speed , his shot , and his post moves..... But he is weak which keeps him out the post and his speed isn't enough to makeup for his lack of strength which keeps him from getting position in the post , and stops him from using his 7 foot frame to get rebounds. Last but not least his shot which is inconsistent makes him nothing but unproven potential. I'm hoping for a 2nd year explosion from him just like I am from Jones and Rob. But as of today he is the Kevin Walter of the rockets ( a starter but nobody outside the coach really knows why lol )