1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston We Have A Power Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 3, 2013.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Rockets are essentially running PF by committee. Jones, Dmo, Robinson, Smith. Any given night one of those guys will have to step up.

2. pli777

pli777 Member

As long as he goes in front of Dmo in the rotation I am happy

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

:grin: :grin: :grin:

4. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Don't get too excited, Morey's just showcasing TJ

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Kneeeeeee jeeeeerrrrk

6. imaginedragons

I think it will be situation based. Smith is by far the better defender and has a passable post up game. Jones is a bit better offensively with a face up game and short/mid jumper, but adds to the lack of interior D if he is at PF. Current Rockets personnel has loads of offense though its usually either ISO ball or a 3-ball, Jones could present a change of pace with the mid range game and offensive rebounding.

7. allaroundplayer

Robinson hasn't been playing very well lately, but imagine he played against the Kings & had a lot of sensational plays. That would have been pretty embarassing to them, so maybe not playing him was the Rockets being courteous.

Personally, I'm hoping Robinson is sent to the d-league.

I expect D-Mo to pick up his play now that roles are becoming more defined.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He's still super young and still developing. He's nowhere near his peak. A year of solid NBA minutes will do wonders. I don't think we'll know how good Jones can be till after next season.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

10. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

T-Rob didnt play because our coach plays mind games all the time. He treats his players like that all the time. I have been wanting Jones to get a real chance all year but it wouldnt surprise me if Jones doesnt see anymore minutes this season until the next time we play the Kings. There is not a chance I wouldnt have put T-Rob in the game. I see players go off on their former teams all the time and that could have gave T-Rob a huge confidence boost. Im happy as hell Jones got a shot but it sucks it was at a cost of degrading another player.

11. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Without shoes Jones is supposedly 1/2 an inch taller according to their combine numbers. However, he definitely looks a solid inch+ taller than Robinson and 10 pounds heavier than him out there.

Jones also looks like he can put on more weight as well, while Robinson has already filled out.

It's weird that Robinson was hyped up by many as a 2nd round pick while Jones fell to 18. I'm not even sure Robinson will be in the league by the end of his rookie scale, let alone a star.

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

As much as I love TJones making a splash this game, McHale should of played TRob. TRob can improve his game playing against basement teams. It will be an interesting offseason, I'd be surprised if we regressed with your PFs.

13. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

No Way!! He is not ready. We are in the middle of a playoff push. Not the time to develop. Only thing he can do is jump. I'd much rather label smith the starting PF permanently and invest in a quality backup Center.

14. larry cook

larry cook Member

TJ da baby beast. I saw this coming! Coming to the next game near you, stay tuned...

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The key with Jones is to make sure he doesn't start chucking from long range. You saw what he can do inside. He needs to stay close to the glass. Eventually he'll develop a longer range shot, but in the mean time he needs to leave the shooting to the others. If he can focus on the low post, the offensive boards and cleaning up the glass, he can contribute right now.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

He has looked really good to me since summer league. He tore up the D league, twice. No complaints, no gripping, just did what he had to do. I like him. Could be everything we expected from White but didn't get. A double-double first time out. Impressive. He must have been a beast in practice to get the chance last night.

17. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

If Jones doesn't knock down open jumpers than the defense will continue to give them to him and clog up the lanes. Fortunately he's actually half-decent from mid-range despite his disgusting mechanism, but he did fall in love with the three ball while down in the D-League.

I agree that he's got to find his range and only take those jumpers when it's necessary rather than settling and to get to his hot spots without affecting spacing too much but that will take time, and a game against the Kings isn't the best for talent evaluation.

It's something Patterson learned over the course of the season but has gone unappreciated by most of the GARM. Something that D-Mo isn't getting at the moment either alongside his defensive statue impressions.

18. SeabrookMiglla

i feel like terrence jones is a man with no fear. lol

we should give jones some more playing time, and he does seem to find his spot in the paint better than trob. i like his athleticism and hustle, but to be honest with you i believe he is being showcased. just a feeling

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One of the knocks on him is his motor, he was going against several ex Kentucky teamates which might have increased his desire.

Lets see if his intensity remains high, that is how you earn PT.

DD

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I like what I saw last night and in the D league. Kid has some skills.

I think there is room for all these guys right now.

TRob needs more time in the system. D league might do him good.

DMo needs to slow down and let the game come to him and stay out of foul trouble.

Smith needs to keep working hard on d,setting good picks and rolling to the basket.

They all have strengths.

Last night we saw DMo at C when Asik is on the bench, with Jones at PF. Line up flexibility is a good thing. All the kids are young and have skills. Patience