1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think Nene will be available at the trade deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Dec 21, 2010.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

1) Anthony is going to get traded to new jersey pretty soon, they have more assets than anyone else to get this done.

2) New Jersey doesn't need a C they already have brook lopez

3) Nene is a free agent this offseason, and he will get a big offer from someone, I don't think Denver will want to give him a Maxish contract if they don't have Carmelo and are going to rebuild.

I think there will be a huge bidding war for Nene's services, and the rockets will be right in the thick of it since a good 2-way defensive C is the no 1 priority right now for the team.

Problem is that Rockets best trade asset, Aaron Brooks will not be attractive to the nuggets since they already have ty lawson.

The rockets however have a secret weapon. They have trade exception from the Ariza deal and also a disabled player exception, these combine for about $12 million in savings.

It seems like the two players most likely to go out in a Carmelo trade are Al harrington and JR smith, both have MLE type contracts.

By working with Houston, Denver could legitimately get under the luxury tax in any Carmelo trade, this would save the nuggets close to $30 million dollars this year, this would be huge.

In return for saving Denver $30 million this year, the rockets could do a sweetheart Nene deal, something like Jefferies + Patterson for Nene.

What's more I think Rockets are one of the only teams willing to do something like this.

The only other teams that could do this would be

-Cleveland - with the lebron trade exception
    -Toronto - with the Bosh trade exception
    -Sacramento - cap space
    -Minnesota - cap space

2 people like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting, interesting post. I would like to hear some from Bima and the other salary guys on this topic.

Still, this is a very interesting post indeed.

Nene would make us instant title contenders, and the LAST team the Spurs/Lakers would want to see in the first round.

Would this really be enticing to the Nuggets?

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah, I highly highly doubt that. We would be no better than the Nuggets who reached the WCF a few years ago.

4. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I think nene but hes not a true center

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nene has 2 years left on his contract,at $11.36 M.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He'd be a fantastic pickup and Ideal for the style of offense we run but I'm sure the Nuggets will be asking for too much for him.

Hill would end up being part of a package for Nene (they have Lawson so no need for AB) and I don't know if I'm ready to let Hill go.

7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Aaron Brooks-Kyle Lowry
    Kevin Martin-Courtney Lee

One of the best backcourts in the league?

Shane Battier-Terrence Williams
    Luis Scola-Jordan Hill
    Nene Hilario-Brad Miller

One of the best frontcourts in the league?

Damn, I really do believe that we would be a scary, SCARY team with Nene...

Top 5 in the league, imo...

Celtics
    Lakers
    Heat
    Spurs
    Rockets
    --------------
    Mavs
    Magic
    etc...

Again, just my opinion on Nene's ability against top talent in our system, and with Scola at his back... :)

8. trugoy

trugoy Member

He has a player option, which he would most likely exercise in a non-lockout season. He may even accept an extension...

9. trugoy

trugoy Member

Hill's ceiling is probably lower than where Nene is right now.

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Lol, even the injury-depleted Rockets of that year were better than the Nuggets. This year's team is a defensive center away from instant contender status, this is common knowledge.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Ouch. I would hate, hate, hate to give up Hill, but If Melo goes, so does Billups, Nene, K-Mart, etc...

I would hope that we could get him for cheap... Patterson cheap... ;)

Luis Scola/Jordan Hill
    Nene Hilario/Brad Miller

Is a nasty frontcourt.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I know that but I'm just not quite ready to give up on Hill as a PF.

I would actually consider trading Scola for Nene before Hill.

Nene and Hill would mean a younger front court with better defense.

13. RocketEG6

RocketEG6 Member

three-team trade with SAC :grin:

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I like how you think! :grin:

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Might be sooner then the deadline, Nets/Nuggets talking 4 team deal again with new teams. I'd be shocked if Morey wasn't involved and Nene wasn't his target.

16. trugoy

trugoy Member

Hill's not ready for primetime, we don't know if he ever will be ready. If we do get Nene, and pair him with Scola, we will have a legit shot at the WCF.

I think our best prospects on the team are Lowry(Mookie Blaylock), CLee(Ron Harper), Terrence Williams(Jalen Rose).

If everybody develops, we could contend(maybe).

17. everyday eddie

Boy if the Rockets are involved in this, the Knicks are going to hate us :grin:

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Eggs - ACK - tly!

(I knew someone, he was fond of the word "exactly", and that's how it sounded when he spoke.)

This 4-team action, you KNOW Morey's got to be in on that.

Someone mentioned that Nene isn't a true center. In today's NBA, he is. I loved what Yao brought to the team and at the same time building around a traditional-ish center is, nowadays, almost a recipe for disaster. You either front the guy or hammer on him while the refs look the other way.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5812486&postcount=1775

The thought of using the DPE and/or the Ariza trade exception (which, remember, CANNOT BE COMBINED) to pry Nene from Denver is an interesting thought. I don't know if Les and Morey are willing to clog their team salary TOO much in order to get Nene. Some? Probably.

20. FullMetal Sage

When they trade Melo, they would trade Billups, so they would need a point guard. AB fills that need. I think they trade a lot of people not named Lawson, and Afflalo. I would like to have Nene on this team with Hill, Scola, and Miller! Thats a good front court!