1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think Nene will be available at the trade deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Dec 21, 2010.

1. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

We have a better shot at getting the Birdman than Nene if Carmelo goes to New Jersey and Denver rebuilds.

2. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

ummmm, I don't know. I admittedly haven't watched a ton of Nene, and his age probably gives him another 6 years in the league. He just doesn't come across as they type of guy that puts us over the top. How much better does that make us really? Does it trump Bynum/Pau/Odom? Don't think so. And he doesn't seem like the passer that would excel in RAs offense. Not a bad shot blocker, but Hill gets the same amount of blocks in less time on the court.

It feels a lot like a lateral move with no home run potential. I wouldn't want to do this if it impacts are ability to get an all-star or top draft prospect. Sure we will need pieces to go with that get, but it's preferable to get those pieces after then before.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

"Instant title contenders"

I like Nene, but I think you might be overating him here.

1 person likes this.
  4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He is a solid center to add to the Rockets if we dont go overboard to get him. Hill wouldnt be too big a compromise to get him. I would trade Jordan Hill and Budinger for him in a second. He is still young at 28. Same size as Hill practically.

5. Happii

Happii Member

Well that's still better than losing in the first round.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

They may be the same height. But Nene outweighs Hill by probably 30-40 lbs.

7. Happii

Happii Member

He is basically Jeff Green in disguise, he is playing out of position and is alright at it. And if you put him back to his original position he would be way more effective.

8. rockets4llday

rockets4llday Member

Noy a good passer? He is one of the best bigman passage in the league which could make miller expendable.

9. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

What exactly is "true" center? Nene plays the center position, how is he not a true center :rolleyes:

10. TheGoldenGreek

I would love to acquire Nene for the right price. He is a physical guy that will help bring back some of that nastiness to the team. I don't think it would make us a lock for the WCF though.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Bynum/Pau/Odom/Joe Smith

Nene/Scola/Anthony Randolph/Miller/Patterson/Hayes

May not be as good as LA. They have plenty of experience playing together in a championship environment. But that list of bigs I gave you would compete and we could "match up" with LA a lot better with that list. Anthony Randolph is Odom's match. Not as good right now. But Randolph can match up with him defensively and offensively. Odom is a huge mismatch most nights for LA's opponents. Pau??? one of the best bigs in the game. Nene? one of the best defensive bigs in the game. Size on size. About as good an individual matchup as you can find. LA typically defends Scola with Artest a lot of the time. Scola usually doesn't play well against them for this reason. Their lineup is usually Pau in the middle with Artest and Odom matching up on our forwards. They are the champions.

What other big man could we possibly add that would make us match up better against the Lakers than Nene?

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i wouldnt say we have a secret weapon if others teams can do the same....

Nene isn't great offensively or defensively. He's not a great rebounder or shotblocker. Basically we're overpaying for more bulk. I rather put Hill on a high calorie diet.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Have you not seen Him play? It seems a lot of posters haven't watched Nene play games unless it's against the Rockets. He is very skilled around the basket and is an incredible passer.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I was surprised to realize that Nene's only 28. Seems like he has been around forever.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Is he great offensively?

What about defensively?

I can understand his teammates holding him back offensively, but i think his touches will be limited on this team and he's not great enough to be a go to guy at any given moment.

Defensively, there's no reason why his numbers shouldnt be better, yet he manages something like 8 boards and 1 block....might be just under a block this year. Scola numbers and something Hill would average with 30 minutes of play.

I just don't see him bringing in something so specific that we lack to warrant taking on his contract and giving up Hill (possibly). We need someone who rebounds and blocks shots well, that's the center who will fill in our biggest holes and make the greatest impact.

16. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Exactly. Not interested. I don't see him as much of an improvement over what we already have. Either get a young prospect to develop at C or acquire someone more talented than Nene - or else do nothing at all until the time is right.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Isn't he shooting 62 PERCENT?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, I don't know. Nene is not a shot blocker (he's averaging around what Scola's averaging this season), not a great rebounder (Scola is much better), decent at stealing the ball, but Luis is ballpark with him this season, actually has slightly lower assist numbers this season than Luis, essentially a wash there, as with steals and blocks. Isn't remotely the scorer Scola is. That comparison is with Nene playing 2 minutes less a game this year, not much of a difference. What he does bring is a several inch taller Chuck Hayes to the Rockets, without the rebounding. Excellent defense. What's that worth? $12 million a season??

19. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I would love to get Nene on this team. He's an extremely efficient offensive player that doesn't suck on the defensive end.

Nene is currently leading the league with TS% of 68.7%, compared to Kevin Martin's 63.5%. Nene led the league in TS% last year and the year before that.

Hill for Nene is a no brainer for me.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They said for a superstar and as much as I like nene, he's not that. In fact, I've been told by a couple of people who I trust that he might be going with carmello to play with lopez since favors is going to be in the deal.