1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you go after Peyton Manning?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Yes or no

1. yes

54.9%
  2. no

45.1%
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Neither is Big Ben, frankly.

First of all… Fitzpatrick? FITZPATRICK?!! Are you a Bills fan? I know a good chunk of this is subjective... but Ryan Fitzpatrick is NOT among the 2nd tier of NFL QBs. I’m sorry. He’s not. Neither, frankly, is Andy Dalton, who had a nice rookie season but was average by NFL standards.

And you’re vastly undervaluing Phillip Rivers – that guy’s elite. His numbers are astounding. I’d switch him and Roethlisberger.

He’s lacking the opportunity. That’s it.

2. conquistador#11

give rodgers houston's 2010 defense and let's see how clutch he is. He would probably manage a mediocre record of 6-10. Nah, Aaron would never allow that record, not while ranking top five in passing yards and touchdown. Never!

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

4. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

“The Cowboys have never been about checkered tablecloths and boots and hats,” Jones said. “They’ve been about glitz and glitter. Leave the other stuff to the Houston Texans.” - Jerry Jones

So the Cowboys are self described as non-working class, non-cowboy sparkling glitter pansies.

LOL reminds me of a t shirt my ex has, REAL TEXANS dont let their kids grow up to be Cowgirls !!

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

so if the colts thinking about getting rid of him, why the texans would risk to dismember this team (not re-signing mario, trading schaub, not getting a WR or CB in free agency)

If peyton is 80% healthy, why not let him play 1-2 years, instead of having a rookie QB starting in his first year.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

All Peyton Manning has to do is shovel pass, and he'll be better than Matt Schaub.

/cardpire

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't know why all of you are in a tizzy over Peyton.

Eli is the real QB in that family.

Soon to be 2 rings to 1. That means he's better.

2 > 1. Nuff said. Pwn3d.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

nobody in their right mind would ever say matt schaub is better than peyton manning.

by the way, keep posting the speculative links about manning retiring...manning basically just said on sportscenter that he will be playing, and chris mortensen just said that people who think he's "risking paralysis" if he plays again have no clue what they're talking about and are ill-informed.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Haven't read through all of this but I still don't understand the logic here.

We can't afford Peyton and Schaub, therefore Schaub would be gone. People are willing to risk it on a guy who's 36 and even if healthy is on the decline. We'd have a two year window, max, and who knows if he'd even make it that long. Haven't we been through enough as Texans fans (and Rockets fans with Yao) to not want to risk that?

I think we would have been in the Super Bowl this year with Schaub. Let's make a run at it again next year before getting desperate.

13. justafriend

justafriend Member

Medically cleared meaning he's not risking re-injury, not that he'll be able to throw again at an NFL level much less Peyton Manning level.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, this news today is one hell of a PR stunt from Peyton's team. ESPN and the like have no choice but to buy into it because it generates interest and clicks, but the reality is that nothing's changed. Manning's neck fusion was successful, and we know that. That's why he was allowed to practice in December. The question comes down to nerve regeneration and whether he can gain the strength to throw a football at any kind of significant velocity. He isn't close right now.

Peyton wants to play and knows that if he can, he needs to market himself because he'll be a free agent. To have the most options possible, he needs to offset the ongoing rumors of his demise/impending retirement, and that's what today's "leak" is designed to do. In reality, though, his challenge is every bit the same today as it was yesterday. We're no closer (that I know of) to finding out whether he can do it.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

this post is all sorts of bizarre. forget the fact that you are talking with such certainty and from the point of view of colts team doctor/insider/irsay confidante, but do you really think that any team would sign him solely based on today's information and without doing their own research and seeing him throw the ball first??

16. The Cat

Will Carroll:
    "Peyton being cleared is not news. We knew this when Watkins cleared him in November. Just more media fodder."
    https://twitter.com/#!/injuryexpert

Bob Kravitz (Indy Star):
    "Peyton's neck is fine, the issue is performance. The issue is whether he can throw the football."
    https://twitter.com/#!/bkravitz

John Clayton:
    "While Peyton Manning remains optimistic about his return, people in the Colts org. aren't as certain because of nerve in neck and triceps"
    https://twitter.com/#!/claytonespn

Tom James:
    "Nothing new from ESPN report on Peyton Manning being cleared. He was cleared to practice back in December. Nerve regeneration always issue."
    "Media in Indy has known that PManning's neck fusion surgery successful and that the nerve regeneration was the biggest problem. Nothing new."
    https://twitter.com/#!/TribStarTJames

Nothing's bizarre here - just do some research without an agenda.

Also, learn basic reading comprehension skills. No one's going to sign him based on this information alone. Didn't say that. You routinely have these weird all-or-nothing reactions. Manning is trying to combat the narrative that he can't physically recover by turning the topic of conversation to his likelihood of return. It's a slow and steady process that's going to go on for a month, until Irsay finally cuts him loose in March. Until then, they're each trying to be politicians and spin discourse in a manner that suits their long-term interests. Just a very small part of a big process.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

my reading comprehension skills are pretty pretty nice. did really well on that component of the SAT's and whatnot.

you didn't say that teams would sign peyton based on today's - you clearly implied it. your post implies that you are seeing directly through this PR stung put out by team peyton, while at least some nfl gm's won't, thereby gaining him "the most options possible". so while you know this is a ruse, he will benefit by it, and will have more options than he did if it weren't released. and this is because some teams will be too stupid to see through it, and will be suitors for him based on today's information. sorry, but that is unquestionably what you were implying.

so, like i was saying, IN MY OPINION, a very bizarre post. but what do i know? i'm just a dummy who doesn't understand what i read.

18. The Cat

I was implying that it was a small part of the overall strategy to get him more options, as opposed to there being no response to the rash of recent stories about his likelihood of never playing again. I in no way said that any one individual act was going to be the difference. Nothing is that cut and dried.

By the way, aren't you the one convinced that the Texans sabotaged their season by sticking with T.J. Yates and refusing to consider outside options? Haven't you blasted Kubiak for this, using your incredible knowledge of the situation? Given your track record and willingness to criticize, I don't think you get to play the "teams know too much" card.

19. The Cat

Irsay, of course, has a different take:

JimIrsay Jim Irsay
    Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts. Team statement coming on Friday.

Few tweets this morning from NFL writers:

evansilva Evan Silva
    Manning camp likely leaked he was cleared so teams hear, stay interested. He knows he'll be cut. Colts still want medical excuse to cut him.

JeneBramel Jene Bramel
    PR battle b/t Manning/Irsay fascinating. Heart isn't in these body blows. Feel both want to throw haymakers, but pulling punch at last sec.

PhinsDaniel Daniel Eliesen
    We have a full PR war on our hands between @JimIrsay and Peyton Manning

Yes, it's all kinds of bizarre to think there's a PR war between Irsay and Manning, and that Manning's camp leaked the information to combat the long line of "Colts' sources" claiming medical reasons for his eventual cut. No one could ever think such a thing! :rolleyes: