1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you go after Peyton Manning?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Yes or no

1. yes

54.9%
  2. no

45.1%
  1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

The Colts have been inconsistent? the same Colt's team that had dominated and made the playoffs 12 years in a row? if that's inconsistent, then what are the Giants, who missed the playoffs three years in a row after their Super Bowl win in 2007? what does Eli do once he's in the playoffs again? just win another Super Bowl.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

You do realize people can vote without logging in, so polls on the site can be padded. The actual count by member names is 140-119 for "yes"

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

did not realize. i guess i'll still have to be the doofus who argues that manning is better than schaub :)

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

No it is a legit argument, I actually just looked to see who had voted where, and noticed the lists were much closer than the 2/3 the poll said.

As for the argument, I would agree that a healthy Peyton is better than Schaub. But I also would say that Peyton that can't lift his arm above his shoulder and can't guarantee he ever will be back to normal is not a risk I would take. If he is healthy then yes, but that is a huge if. I don't think I take the risk of giving up Schaub with far fewer question marks right now, to find out I got a gimp Peyton Manning. Like it was said earlier if he waits until all his question marks were answered then yes, I'd seriously consider him an upgrade, but if he has a signing deadline in early spring, then I just wouldn't take that chance.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

who would argue that a pre-neck injured Manning is better than Schaub?

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

never said otherwise, although, him having the ability to play is my only concern. if the only risk is if he'll be able to play at his exact same pre-injury level or not, i'll take that risk tomorrow.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

an idiot

Manning is the best in the game if he's healthy. Just look at where the Colts finished this year!

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Reading comprehension is good.

I didn't say anything about inconsistently.

I said the Colts, as a team, has been consistently terrible outside of Peyton Manning's play. He has been carrying that team on his back ever since he got there... there barely have any good players except for him.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Where they finished this year is due much more to the fact that they had a garbage defense, no running game to take pressure off the qb, a terrible o-line, and only 1 decent WR. They've been so accustomed to winning with Peyton that they never made a contingency plan. They could have still won games without Peyton had they had any semblance of depth.

Schaub clearly isn't in Manning's league but the Texans are a good example of what happens when you plan for the worst.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

fwiw: Bob Allen reports (his source close to the Manning family) that Peyton Manning is interested in coming to the Texans...if the interest is reciprocal. Two things in play - 1. Obviously his health. 2. Matt Schaub.

"Peyton wants to play on a team that has a chance to play for the Super Bowl. Another plus is Texans are in the division. The relationship between Irsay and Manning is now just strictly business. ... Don't be fooled about Manning not caring about Eli having two rings to his one."

"This wont be played out publicly unless something does happen. Matt Schaub (factor) also. Be it a long shot or reality, he does have a definite interest in the Texans."

Edit:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?s...tball&id=8542447&rss=rss-ktrk-article-8542447

#250 J.R., Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Sign em Rick

12. AFS

AFS Member

Man, it's been so long since Houston was associated with big-name FAs. Even if we don't get him, I love the attention.

13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Too bad the "attention" comes from a local sportswriter who is soon to be retired.

That being said, if Manning is interested AND healthy, you have to do this if you're the Texans, right? RIGHT?!?

14. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Don't discredit Bob Allen so quickly, working for the media for that long gives you some inside sources. He is no Marc Berman but I believe it if he is reporting it.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

that article is a little thin, just an anonymous friend claiming Peyton has interest, not that he has reached out to the Texans or anything

still good news though

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What? They never retire at channel 13.

Not surprised that Manning would be interested in the Texans. Good offensive line, great running backs, AJ and what ever WR we take in the draft, and a great defense. I don't really think the Texans are going to be that interested though.

17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Oh please oh please oh please. Then again, he's going to need more than 1 receiver to throw to.

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't discrediting Bob Allen, I was referring to the "attention" comment in the post I quoted. If this was Adam Schefter or Chris Mortensen reporting the rumor, it'd get *national* attention. With Bob, it's just a local story... for now:grin:

19. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

1)Sign Manning
    2) let Mario walk
    3) trade Scaub to Washington for their 2012 and 2013 1st round picks
    4) draft Blackmon at 6 and Coby Fleener at 26

.......and BOOM you have Manning and some serious weapons to throw to with AJ, Blackmon, Fleener and Foster!!!!

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup. Allen is as well connected with the Texans as anyone, Berman included. As someone who spends time in that locker room, you guys can trust me when I say Allen is extremely reputable when it comes to contacts around the organization.

I know this isn't coming from the Texans' side of things. But there's a reason the Texans trust him so much, and it's because he doesn't go with unfounded rumors. If he says something, there are legs to it. I'm also fairly confident that Allen would run this rumor by the Texans, and if there was an emphatic denial, he probably doesn't go with the story.

Still a longshot, but this is interesting. Allen is legit.