1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you go after Peyton Manning?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Yes or no

1. yes

54.9%
  2. no

45.1%
  1. Pete the Cheat

how did you come to this conclusion?

if Manning was able to play (i.e., he didn't have surgery on his neck) then the colts wouldn't be drafting #1 overall.
    so why dabble in fantasy if it offers absolutely no value?

couple this with the fact putting manning at the top of your list for FA basically excludes you from re-signing every current FA you have on your team.

no Arian, no Mario, no Meyers..nada.

I don't even know why I entered this conversation. the whole argument is pointless...you owe me two minutes of my life back...

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

huh? if manning is able to play in 2012, the colts wouldn't have the #1 pick from their results during the 2011 season? not entirely sure you understand how the draft works.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Nope. Kubiak finds players that fit his system. He might tweak it a bit here or there to accomodate certain skillsets - but otherwise, it's very specific. The linemen, the backs, the QB... these guys were all hand-picked by him, and none were necessarily highly-touted prospects. AJ is the only guy he inherited.

I think people hoping Walter will be replaced next year are going to be disappointed. Now having said that....

Jacoby is obviously an area they can upgrade and his spot would, in theory, be a good fit for Lloyd. But I'd be stunned if Walter goes anywhere. They love the guy.

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I'd rather take a flyer on Matt Flynn.

5. Pete the Cheat

2 2nd rounders? :grin:

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I agree with the notion that QBs can stay productive well into their 30's, it's not as a physically taxing position as other positions as long as they avoid the major hits. But we're talking about a major career threatening injury to Manning, which Favre never had. That weighs in the age argument, if Manning had this injury 10 years ago and was still the premier QB he was back then, Irsay's mindset would be different right now.

7. justafriend

justafriend Member

Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Romo, & Stafford are the only guys that had a better QBR than Schaub this year. So we can leave the anecdotal stuff at the door, he had a pretty good year and there were few issues with his game to complain about. If this were a Giants forum a lot of Eli-haters would be eating crow right now because he certainly struggled at times this year.

As far as Schaub being 13th best I don't have a huge issue with that statement, but I think placing guys into tiers has a lot more value. Whether you prefer Romo or Schaub, the Romos and Schaubs of the world are much better than the next group of Flaccos and Cutlers. And the Flaccos and Cutlers are better than the Fitzpatricks and Sanchezes, and so on. As far as the QB position is concerned, unless you're upgrading a whole tier, I don't think you're upgrading at all, because the new guy is going to have to go through an adjustment period that will knock him down to the level of the guy you were replacing.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

agree with this, and i think you are upgrading as many tiers as possible by going from schaub to manning.

9. justafriend

justafriend Member

Going back to Manning, even if he's medically cleared, that isn't equal to flipping a magic healthy switch. We don't now how susceptible he will be to re-injury and missing the whole season. If he stays healthy, we don't know if he'll return to the same level of play. Many players returning from serious injury are skittish and don't fully trust their abilities. If you want to see what a QB looks like with those attributes, watch some Blaine Gabbert tape. Not saying he would be that bad but an 18 TD/18 INT season would not shock me. It could take him a year to get close to his pre-injury performance.

Taking that gamble makes sense if you're a middling team that isn't "set" at QB. But for a team like the Texans that is already a contender, jettisoning a strong foundation to build a house of cards would be an insane move.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

..and we can stop here.

He's not healthy. He most likely has suffered permanent damage to the nerve that powers his throwing arm. All the surgeries have been measures to keep a herniated disk in his neck from pinching on that nerve....but if neural cells have already died, there's no bringing them back. You can partially compensate with what's left, but he couldn't make NFL throws in August. It's a major longshot that he ever gets back to throwing at an elite level.

But let's play along with your 0.000001% scenario that 2004 Peyton offers to join the Texans. If 2004 Peyton approaches us, than yes, go ahead and tell Kubiak that Peyton will bring in his own OC and assistant GM to reshape the offense and offensive personnel.

And I don't believe I said he would "ruin" the team. It's more that you would be going all in playing Hold 'Em with an offsuit 7-2 in your hand.

11. Hey Now!

I continue to be amazed that there isn't at least some move toward a more universal respect for Schaub, especially after we saw the greatest season in franchise history implode not due to Foster's injury; or Mario's; or AJ's but squarely on Schaub's. 7-3 with him; 4-4 without him, ending with a 3 INT disaster in Baltimore...

Since 2008, he's ranked 7th, 7th, 9th, and 6th in QBR and 2nd, 5th, 6th and 3rd in YPA. For four consecutive years, he's been among the most effective, most efficient passers in the NFL. I find it... I don't know how I find it that he continues to be maligned among Texan fans.

He is a very, Very, VERY good QB. Any notion that he needs to be upgraded for this team to win a SB is silly. I can't believe people are indulging in such talk.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

pretty sure all you internet doctors don't understand or are in denial of the seriousness of a lis franc injury. on a already-made-of-glass specimen, nonetheless.

bizarre to me that everybody just assumes that schaub is going to come back at 100%, and not have any health problems. if peyton is healthy enough and cleared to play next season, i'd put my money on him getting through the season way before i'd bet on schaub.

and this question suspiciously went unanswered. if we had peyton manning on our roster right now, would all of you advocate dumping him and trying to acquire matt schaub?

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

what is so offensive about 13th??? and which of those qbs would you rather have schaub than?

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

LMAO

No one's said this or suggested it.

....Enough time wasted
    [​IMG]

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

yet everybody has looked past it and dismissed it.

16. Hey Now!

It's not offensive; it simply flies in the face of reality. He is, by statistical measure, a clear top-10 QB; top 4-7, really.

I'd trade Schaub for Brady, Brees and Rivers. Roethlisberger is not, IMO, a better fit for this system - though I'd agree he's a better QB, generally-speaking.

Eli, Romo and Ryan have proven far less consistent than Schaub and I don't believe they've ever outplayed him for long stretches. I think only Ryan is younger and he's the least impressive of the three, IMO.

I think Vick is a flash in the pan. And I'd like to see Stafford (talk about being made of glass, BTW) and Newton do it for more than one season - but obviously, given their age, they'd be on my radar.

But by including them (and Ryan), you're making the same age argument a lot of people here are making for Schaub/Manning: age matters. Results-wise, there's NO WAY you take Stafford or Newton over Schaub.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

cute. you don't like being argued with so you are Bima-ing.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

not sure what results you are talking about. i'd take stafford or newton ahead of schaub, as would anybody outside of this city.

19. Hey Now!

Most inside the city probably would, too, because Stafford is 24 and Newton is 23. But their bodies of work are not better than Schaub's, not even close. And you can't universally dismiss age in the Schaub/Manning debate and then conveniently use it here.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

I'm not using age here. I'm using my eyes. In my opinion, they are both better than schaub. Qbs can play till 40. I've never brought age up in any of my posts.