1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wikipedia War: Rockets hero dishonored

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Fine, there you go, you can put down the things that happened to him, you already have something to put after it.

Arrested for failing to pay child support, but his wife was a golddigger
    Punched a fan, but the "fan" was talking smack against his daughter (who he failed to pay child support for becuase his wife was a golddigger).
    He was arrested but didn't deserve it.
    etc.

I already wrote half of them for you, all you have to do is copy/paste :D

Maybe a more unbiased fan will help you, but you don't state accurately enough how essential Max was in winning the NBA championship, you fail to note his finals achievements and forget to mention his defensive capabilities beyond simple stats.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you guys can add to it. it is wikipedia!

someone needs to make a Maxwell video like that sweet Hakeem one with JayZ/Kanye songs added.

3. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Way to be Tinman! I approve.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Even Kobe can't do this. Vernon was going to score 120pts that night!

5. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

This is why I don't always trust Wikipedia.

6. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

You know...you say some intelligent things at times, but I am not a fan of yours. A comment like this is ridiculously stupid.

Have you done anything in your life that you regret?

Dude, unless you are Christ, the answer is going to be yes....for all of us.

Get over yourself, and your opinions. You come across as a bitter, middle aged man, who is miserable, and loves to complain about people, and things, to make himself feel better about his own lackings.

7. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I would do it, but I got banned for editing my congressman's entry.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Basketball opposites meet in title game

By EDDIE PELLS
    Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS — UCLA had Bill Walton, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and all those championship banners. Florida had Vernon Maxwell and Lon Kruger.

Different programs on opposite coasts with divergent histories play for the national championship today in a game that offers yet another reminder of how the success of yesteryear no longer guarantees anything.

"Are we a basketball school the way Kentucky and Indiana are?" Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said. "Not yet. That's the goal."

Staying there isn't possible in the way it was when John Wooden coached. No longer can a great coach like Wooden sit in his office and expect great players to come.

While no one has ever doubted UCLA's status as a basketball school — 11 national titles can do that for a program — their dynasty is long gone. UCLA is closer to its last losing season (11-18 in 2003-04) than its last national title (1995, behind Ed O'Bannon and Tyus Edney).

Coach Ben Howland, in his third year, got the Bruins back to the top not by riding Wooden's coattails. He did it the same way Billy Donovan did it at Florida: recruiting, selling, building a team in his own image, not what someone else thinks it should be.

"With winning, players are going to want to come to UCLA again," said Mike Warren, the captain of the title teams in 1967 and '68.

Committing to Florida was anything but trendy before Donovan arrived. Though the head Gators are loath to admit it, Florida is a football school. Its few moments of success in hoops were always overshadowed by something:

# Maxwell took the Gators to the tournament for the first time in the late '80s, but that experience was tainted by a drug scandal.

# Lon Kruger actually broke through some barriers and got the Gators to the Final Four in 1994. Two years later, he left and proclaimed that "to do in basketball what they do in football is just not possible."

But under Donovan, the Gators made a new commitment to hoops, and started locking up more Florida kids. Today, Florida players come from everywhere.

And in an era where there are no dynasties, maybe the best that can be said for any program is that it keeps playing well enough to get back to the NCAA tournament. This is Florida's eighth straight appearance.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Someone forgot to turn on their sarcasm detector.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

from hoops-world
    "The Rockets need a good dose of what would for them be old-school. Give me three or four guys like Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith, Mario Elie, and Matt Bullard - Yao will bring home a championship."

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

tinman, you ain't helpin' matters with this post! Think of the source, bro.

12. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

nah, man...this dude continuosly comes off as a dick.

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Yep. Quitter.

I don't know how any Rocket's fan at the time could not be bitter about the quitter. He could have cost us the 2nd Championship.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I give him a pass, because we won it, and because he was Max. I was mighty ticked off at the time, however. I think disbelief would be an accurate description. I've forgiven him. Max gave me a lot of good times, when he was able to stay on the court. The guy could flat-out play.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

LOL@Tinman! You crack me up, man. I love the Rockets and all, but your love for past Rox players is beyond zealous.

Keep it up!

16. tinman

Supporting Member

"Could Have"
    that's not a possible argument.

He "could have" been on another team and we would have ZERO championships.
    Ah Cohen, you show your true colors.

What if Cohen, you were replaced by someone you didnt like at your job, where you were Employee of the Year?

Also Clyde had a history of rubbing his teammates the wrong way. Barkley didn't get along well with him. Also, everytime he's with Bill Worrell, the mute button is being pressed for the 1st time on many TV Sets.

People loved Vernon. He's a true hero. He was a TRUE ROCKET.

Also, part of me thinks that he was bitter Otis was gone. Not everyone was initially happy with the trade, Kenny even says this. They missed Otis.
    Another Rocket hero.

17. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Disrepecting MAD MAX
    [​IMG]

is like disrepecting PAC to Tinman

[​IMG]

18. Cohen

I don't have issues with Max anymore. It was a long time ago and it would be pretty silly to harbor ill will about that, and equally silly to act like it did not happen at all. Revisionist history is worse than useless.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It is bizarre to see something on Wikpedia change like that. Makes you wonder how much of the info is "gamed." Anyone who followed Max knows he was a mixed bag. If he could have stayed "sane," there's no telling what he might have accomplished, on and off the court.

20. Cohen

Was it Falsone who said that only MJ was a comparable athletic specimen? A real shame/waste for Max.

And you're right about Wiki. I always hoped that these things 'settle down' to something reasonably accurate over time because I like Wikipedia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.